Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To anyone that bought an '07 Phazer, talk to me about it. How many miles have you ridden it, what mods have you made, what parts have failed or needed to be replace and what do you like and not like about it.
Ive seen 3 Phazers out on the trails so far this winter. 1 was broke down on the side of the trail (it smelt like he smoked a belt) and today I saw 2 Phazers.
Be honest, but I hope you all will make me regret not buying a Phazer! :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have 100 miles on mine. Lakes and fields, so I don't know how it does in the bumps. I was radar'd at 83 MPH the other day, on ice with no studs, speedometer was showing 98 MPH so it's safe to say I was still spinning. It comes out of the hole pretty well for a 500 4 stroke, and likes to wheelie, it feels playful, like a dirtbike.

It starts well, and I haven't had any loose fasteners like others are talking about, but mine hasn't got too many miles.

I don't regret buying the thing at all, but I've always been the type of person that doesn't want to win races, I like to mess around in the powder, and jumps... ect.

If you're serious, and you must have a "fast" sled, this is NOT the one for you. On the other hand, if you want a low maintenance, "turn the key and go" kinda sled, with very nimble handling, this is the one to buy.

pluses :

-Decent accel. to 70 MPH (will usually pull the skis up till over 50)
-light, nimble feeling to it
-4 stroke mill starts well, EFI, low maintenace.
-Looks wicked (my opinion)
-Super cool hand/thumb warmers, digital LCD.
-Easy transition from stand up to sitting position.

negatives :

-Underpowered
-Heavy (on paper, compared to other 2 stroke models) feels light while riding, but it's heavy... 474 #'s
-Cold to ride, mine is a base model, no windy.
-High center of gravity. The seat is very high, and you're sitting way up there. (this could be a good or bad thing, I guess.)
-Must us 91+ octane fuel for max. power. Price you pay for such a good engine I guess.
-Oil changes seem to be a MAJOR PITA. (I have no first hand knowlegde however)

as far as mods:

I installed Powermadd hand guards.

I have a slip on Supertrapp Superlight Stainless muffler from a FZR600 Yam ready to weld on. Should sound like a YZ450F I'm guessing... Should have it on next week. Nice and tunable via diffuser disks. I imagine I will lose 10 - 12 #'s bringing the sled to about 460 dry.

I removed the plastic rear tool box (looks ugly, and I'll only carry tools on long trips anyways, which I will be backpacking it)

Future Mods :

May be installing 72 double backed 1.080 studs.

Will be installing a high bend moto X style handle bar ( I bent my stock ones when I rolled over -see negative re: high C.O.G above)

After riding my base model, I'd like to try a "GT" trail model, comes with slightly taller gearing. The feeling I get from mine is that it would pull slighty more gear, while retaining the same acceleration. Hard to tell at this point really, but I am pretty sure it would pull it very well.

Anything else specific you'd like to know?

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the other hand, if you want a low maintenance, "turn the key and go" kinda sled, with very nimble handling, this is the one to buy.[/b]
I still have my doubts about the engine. It is based off of a 250F dirtbike motor, and those are high-strung, short life engines. Most people are only getting about 150 hours max out of their 250Fs, so its going to be really interesting to see how the Genesis 80FIs are going to be holding up in 3-5 years. I just cant see an engine that turns 10,000+ rpm all the time lasting 10,000 miles. I hope Im wrong on this, but only time will tell.
Thats the biggest thing that scared me out of getting a Phazer. I ride 1000-1500 miles a year and I was worried that every few years Id be looking at spending $3000 to rebuild the motor.
Then again, sled engines dont suck in anywhere near as much dirt as do dirtbike motors, so maybe it will run forever with very little problems.
On my YZ 250F I dont worry about it because I only ride it about 50 hours a year and its about half as much to rebuild but on a sled that I ride at least 1000 miles a year it concerned me.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I still have my doubts about the engine. It is based off of a 250F dirtbike motor, and those are high-strung, short life engines. Most people are only getting about 150 hours max out of their 250Fs, so its going to be really interesting to see how the Genesis 80FIs are going to be holding up in 3-5 years. I just cant see an engine that turns 10,000+ rpm all the time lasting 10,000 miles. I hope Im wrong on this, but only time will tell.
Thats the biggest thing that scared me out of getting a Phazer. I ride 1000-1500 miles a year and I was worried that every few years Id be looking at spending $3000 to rebuild the motor.
Then again, sled engines dont suck in anywhere near as much dirt as do dirtbike motors, so maybe it will run forever with very little problems.
On my YZ 250F I dont worry about it because I only ride it about 50 hours a year and its about half as much to rebuild but on a sled that I ride at least 1000 miles a year it concerned me.[/b]

People on TY have explained to you before... It's not two 250f's slapped together and called a sled motor. You got that in your head somehow. Its more of a half an R1 engine. I wouldn't worry about the motor. Only thing would be first year chassis quirks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Is a 250F rebuild 1500$ ?

I mean, if you grenade the thing, yes, I can see this.

But if you just replace the piston + rings, valve lash + timing chain, it should be good for a few more hundred hours right? Or do the cam lobes wear out, valves have to be replaced... ect ect? Doubt it would need a re-bore / sleeve in 150 hours???

Not sure, just asking, what a 250F rebuild consists of ?

Quite sure Wiseco, (or...) would have a rebuild kit for the thing, so you don't get raped by Yamaha pricing...

·
Banned
14,035 Posts
It would seem to me that the 250F would be more durable than the R1, the dirt bike spends a large percent of its life under heavy load at or near the redline, (like a sled engine turning the heavy drive train) while the street bike engine is worked once and a while, but spends at least 80% of the time down near 6000 rpm at highway speed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have almost 200 on my 07 phazer mtn lite and love it.

things i dont like are:
Handle bars need to be little taller and wider im 6' so thats just cuzz im tall
my emblem fell off the nose
top speed isnt very fast but i knew that before i bought it i didnt buy it for speed
8 gallon tank could be a bit bigger

things i do like:
4 stroke
YAMAHA
from 0-50 snappy like a 2-stroke will lift the skis off the ground anywhere from 0-50
the ride is awesome best riding sled i have ever rode
the sound is awesome could be louder but sounds good stock too
i like how you sit up high and the narrow seat
corners awesome it turns on a dime
reverse i have never had reverse and i love it when i need to turn around no more tugging on skis
it flies pretty good it isnt nose heavy when its in air it flies like my firecat did
15 mpg

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
As far as duribility concerns. My sport bike is redlined at 11,500 too and they get over 40,000 on them easy.
They are made to rev that high.[/b]

Just a question, but do you hold on to that 11,500 rpm for miles at a time or do you do it for a few seconds between shifts because that is where the problem lies. Prolonged (5 mile long lake for example) hi rpms is going to be hard on these engines. No way around it!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Just a question, but do you hold on to that 11,500 rpm for miles at a time or do you do it for a few seconds between shifts because that is where the problem lies. Prolonged (5 mile long lake for example) hi rpms is going to be hard on these engines. No way around it![/b]

You'd be suprised what RPM's you ride a bike at. General trail riding you aren't going to have it reving that high. And why would you hold it to the bar for miles upon miles on a lake, it's certainly not a lake racer. How many two strokes would you hold to the bar for miles upon miles on the lake? Heh. When you look at an R6 which rev's very high you actually do ride in the 10-11k range. I know, I have the 06 R6.

Another thing is that you don't have the heat load on the engine like a bike does. Heat is one of the most damaging things to an engine. It's the reason you see cars with their hoods up in the summer a lot more than you do in the winter.

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
You'd be suprised what RPM's you ride a bike at. General trail riding you aren't going to have it reving that high. And why would you hold it to the bar for miles upon miles on a lake, it's certainly not a lake racer. How many two strokes would you hold to the bar for miles upon miles on the lake? Heh. When you look at an R6 which rev's very high you actually do ride in the 10-11k range. I know, I have the 06 R6.

Another thing is that you don't have the heat load on the engine like a bike does. Heat is one of the most damaging things to an engine. It's the reason you see cars with their hoods up in the summer a lot more than you do in the winter.[/b]
Because most people do hold them open on a lake. One lake I ride on you can go wide out the entire 6 miles end to end. Do it all the time. Everyone I ride with does the same. Does not have to be a racer to do this. Have not seen many four strokes out where we ride of any brand in the last few years. Could not say this year though as no snow as of yetNot saying it cant last long, and really would not matter if it can only go 5000 cause that is my cut off for a new sled anyway, but guess it would be an expensive re-build on a four stroke if a valve let go at 11 grand plus! Most sleds in the two stroke range dont like much more than 9 grnd and they have no valves pounding like the four strokes do. I just have my reserves on how long that style of engine really will last. keep it in the 8-8500 range then maybe it will make it the way I ride. Wide open when ever I can safely do that and my sled is no racer by any stretch of imagination. Think snow none the less!

·
Registered
168 Posts
No I don't hold my sport bike wide open all the time but if you hold your 2 stroke wide open at say 8000 rpm and you hold the phazer wide open at 11,500 rpm I will bet the 2 stroke blows before the 4 stroke. 4 strokes are more durable in my opinion by a long shot. Which is why ATV's, motorcycles etc are all using them almost exclusively. Nothing beats a 4 stroke for durability.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a 636 ninja, that redlines at 15500, when you are out driving pulling catwalks, you can be damn sure that the revs are going to be up over 10000 for a majority of the time, not to mention the engine is actuallly almost sitting vertical the whole time. And I have had the bike going flat out bouncing off the rev limiter for extended periods of time trying to catch my friend's 1000's haha, I say it takes it. As long as you break them in somewhat normal that is.

·
Registered
384 Posts
plus if your a lake racer, then why would a person be lookin at purchasing a phazer. when your ditch banging your not holding it to the handle bars for miles on end. alot of throttle feathering and blippin the gas. Powder on the other hand you would be bouncing off the rev limiter a bit. i guess we will have to see what the stories read at the end of the winter and into next...

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm thinking a Phazer will spend quite a bit of time at WOT. With only 80HP, you will have to hold it to the bars, especially off trail. That being said, I don't think that longevity is going to be an issue. The technology comes from race engines that have been around for years. They have been torture tested in those applications. The RX-1's have been around since 03. They spin at similar RPM's and have had a very good reliability record. The 4 stroke cylinder is actually much more robust than a two stroke. There are no exhaust or intake ports to weaken the wall structure, catch rings on, etc. The other big thing is that cooling is much more consistant because the water jacket around the cylinder doesn't have to contend with the ports either.

We will see over the next few years once people start piling on the miles. I am waiting a couple of years before I buy one. I will let others experience the teething issues of a first year sled.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I gotta say I saw three of them this past week in the U.P and they sounded great! I like them but I think I need to try one before I could buy one. I sure wish they were 100 hp and not 80 hp, I'd have no reservations then. Of course we rode 400 miles during the week and I bet I never ran more than 70mph at any given time so...

·
Registered
267 Posts
My buddy has a phazer which he has ridden about 450 miles i have ridden with him and have driven it. we both like the feel of it, the lightness and ease to move around on it. also the throttle response is good and pretty fun to drive.

he has the GT model and the negatives are that it seems quite harsh and stiff on bumps. he weighs about 260 and still it bucks him pretty good. after an all day ride it gets uncomfortable when things get rough. also the track makes an annoying amount of noise, i am not sure if that is because of the cut out in the tunnel or what. he has tried softening the spings and it still is too harsh on fast bumps. The bottom line is that it is a fun sled to drive but for long days of trail riding it is too harsh on us old guys, backs.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Good observation because now, in my 30s (gulp), I've gone from wanting to ride with the flipper taped to the bars to riding 150 to 250 mile days. How would you guys rate the warmth of the machine, it looks mighty cold. I know that my brother Rage is colder on the hands and legs than my EDGE is. I usualy don't have a problem with the cold and wear all leather gear but its obvious to me that my sled block the wind fairly well compared to more modern machines like the MXZs and Rages.

·
Registered
267 Posts
well it is definately a cool ride. his sled doesnt have the knee wind deflectors like the FX and he noticed that his knees got cooled down. I have leather pants and didnt really notice that but i didnt ride it all day also. my hands get cold easy and I am not sure they would stay warm on it. the heaters werent all the way on high when i rode it so i am not sure about that. he said they were almost on high, which wouldnt have been enough for me. also the temp was 10 to 15 F. at -10 i am quite sure it would be too cold for me. I think bigger hand deflectors would be in order.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts