Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes. Have any of you experimented with springs to bring these CTEC 800's to life. The stock clutching doesn't load the engine, it's smooth but it's less than motivated. Also seems to hit a wall at 100 mph. I have some ideas but I wanted to hear what your thoughts are....

·
Registered
19,900 Posts
It’s that super steep starting angle on the helix. Notice cat went to a shallower one in 2020 and a stiffer spring.

·
Registered
557 Posts
This last weekend i was noticing some inconsistent performance with mine. When hitting it from a dead stop or up 40 mph it will rev to the 8kish area and hold it. When cruising around 60 and hitting it it will only rev to 7700 and not climb. This was in 8-10" fresh snow. Riot with 1.6 and studs. Im not sure which avenue i will go down yet to correct this.

·
Registered
418 Posts
This last weekend i was noticing some inconsistent performance with mine. When hitting it from a dead stop or up 40 mph it will rev to the 8kish area and hold it. When cruising around 60 and hitting it it will only rev to 7700 and not climb. This was in 8-10" fresh snow. Riot with 1.6 and studs. Im not sure which avenue i will go down yet to correct this.
This is exactly what I am talking about in the 2020 clutching thread earlier today in this Forum.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Weights and better belts. Softer primary helped another member. I feel a primary with at least a 290 rate at 1.4 is needed or it will increase laziness feel.

Spring rates are different by vendor.

·
Registered
661 Posts
for the longer track and deeper lugs, you need to hold a lower gear longer.... think of it like a CAR transmission, if you mash the throttle from a dead stop, the engine will rev almost to red line before it shifts (or where ever its programed to shift at WOT) if your light on throttle... it will shift up to a high gear and then cruise in the higher gear,... then when you mash throttle again it usually will down shift and take off....soo since a CVT does not dwn shift like a standard or auto transmission when you hit the throttle.... the key thing is to have it hold the lower gear longer.... how is this done you ask??? shallower angel helix or stiffer rate spring in secondary. this will keep your revs up closer to your torque peek allowing it to spool quicker and back shift when off the throttle and back on. this will take out the lazy feeling. you will more than likely have to add a gram or two to compensate for over rev on the stab of throttle from start thou.

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the rev problem with my 2018 and that's why I parted ways with it, as it wasn't clutching. I replaced the stock secondary spring in my 2019 155/220, with a Dalton Orange/White 160/220 with a Derlin washer. Took out stock 72 gram weights and installed Dalton Adjustables. They are empty at 70 grams and I added 4.4 grams of weights to them. Stock primary spring (reverse likes them much better) 74.4 grams. Revving to 7950-8050. Pulls bear-like now. Mine is stock other than clutch spring changes. I have the Dalton Orange Black 175/245 secondary spring, I'm going to try as well.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Cat stock spring or speedwerx. I am going to try a 155/240 venom. With a few delrins its about 162/245 which is alright. I run a 137 storm with 160 studs though.

·
Registered
557 Posts
This past week my riot wax running very erratic. I took the secondary apart to find alot of dust and flat spots worn into the spring from rubbing. I had to get some parts from the deal so i brought the clutch along with me. They had mentioned a few other customers have had a few cluth related issues. The had a worn spring they received last night and a new spring. My spring, another customers spring and the new spring were all set on the counter. Mine was 3/4"ish shorter then the other two. I had 1 less coil and the wire diameter was .020" less then the other 2. All the marking had been rubbed off so we were not able to id the spring. ......I put a new spring that is listed for a riot and erratic rpm is now gone. I put a few miles on this afternoon and will likely pull the clutch apart this weekendand inspect the new spring.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
This past week my riot wax running very erratic. I took the secondary apart to find alot of dust and flat spots worn into the spring from rubbing. I had to get some parts from the deal so i brought the clutch along with me. They had mentioned a few other customers have had a few cluth related issues. The had a worn spring they received last night and a new spring. My spring, another customers spring and the new spring were all set on the counter. Mine was 3/4"ish shorter then the other two. I had 1 less coil and the wire diameter was .020" less then the other 2. All the marking had been rubbed off so we were not able to id the spring. ......I put a new spring that is listed for a riot and erratic rpm is now gone. I put a few miles on this afternoon and will likely pull the clutch apart this weekendand inspect the new spring.
do you believe this may have been part of the problem with the fuel economy being so bad?

also saw your comment on the flames, that sucks and the entire situation is total horseshit.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I was certainly hoping that the clutching was part of fuel economy......my wife and I went for a ride yesterday afternoon. All trails. We weren’t racing each other down the trail but we’re moving at a good clip. It’s tough to make an apples to apples comparison but I got .2 mpg better then I ever have before up to 10.9

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the rev problem with my 2018 and that's why I parted ways with it, as it wasn't clutching. I replaced the stock secondary spring in my 2019 155/220, with a Dalton Orange/White 160/220 with a Derlin washer. Took out stock 72 gram weights and installed Dalton Adjustables. They are empty at 70 grams and I added 4.4 grams of weights to them. Stock primary spring (reverse likes them much better) 74.4 grams. Revving to 7950-8050. Pulls bear-like now. Mine is stock other than clutch spring changes. I have the Dalton Orange Black 175/245 secondary spring, I'm going to try as well.

Hey catdog800, still like the top speed with the Dalton Orange/White? Or did it improve over the 100 mark? Also, you running the Timken or Cat belt?
Thanks.

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey catdog800, still like the top speed with the Dalton Orange/White? Or did it improve over the 100 mark? Also, you running the Timken or Cat belt?
Thanks.
Conditions have been shitty...no where around here has any high speed running. I have seen 97 with Orange White and if conditions were favourable 100 is very doable. Cat belt.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts