Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Use a hand impact driver with a little heat, they come right out.
found my torx i was using was just a pinch not big enough. seemed to granb ok but after using a different size , next one up, and getting a better grip on the clutch itself instead of sideways on the bench , 6 came out without the need for heat.the two i messed up bad i used a punch and a flattop.

Reactions: XCR1250

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
she was flooding herself at idle and it was gurgling loading up from 4 to 6000 rpms.

after a new set of reed petals and a fuel screw adjustment 1/8 in more then stock , a much nicer burn.

guarenteed a more snappy sled next season vs the loggey drowning one last year. pic before and after adjustments.
plugprereeds1.jpg
AAAAAplug.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Oooooh i like it. Im sure you know how i am in the clean department..... thats why im loosing my hair.😂
same boat buddy.both boats lol

Reactions: 340 TX-L

·
Registered
257 Posts
Congrats on getting 'er done. I totally agree with getting this kind of stuff done in summer, parts back orders are much less stressful, lol

·
Registered
44,194 Posts
my rmk was near this one in mileage. she was ovefueled abit and clutchs were rotten so im hoping with the frshen up itll come to life.reeds weren't closing all the way on one side, tps may or may not be off abit , and who knows what kinda state the skid bearings are in. that and .6 of an inch off the height definitely should allow for a few more mph.a 2 inch lug 144 long is alot of track for a tired 600. i got a feeling im taking him come next season.

i got a video of the races last year to compare to.these will also be recorded..his sled will be the same , untouched. hes a noobie to sleds. id have him and then on the end hed walk by on 660 maybe 100 feet from the end if that. he had the better lane to to be fair.mine had a few yes maims' at the end.
Your 1st rmk 600 was for whatever reason, exceptional. I'd almost suspect something was done to the engine to make the sled run as good as it did. Higher mileage 2 strokes just don't run like that without help.

·
Registered
44,194 Posts
yep, the tss04 is whats on my d7.4 bolt helix vs the 8 on the 98' on my rmk. it is a noticeably lighter clutch. but eh, i got the 98 back together with fresh innards so ill run her this season anyway.
Did you check your helix bushing in that tss-98? They can get real sloppy and bind when the sled is ridden hard.

·
Premium Member
18,455 Posts
looking alot better.took forever to clean these bitchs. View attachment 2121546
It might be an optical illusion, but it looks like your secondary is too far inward. The desired offset on your sled is 5/8", measuring from the backsides of both clutches, with around another .080-.120" outward float. And, the secondary must be set to the proper deflection and pushed all the way in before measuring.
Does your alignment tool locate on the backside of both clutches, or some other location?

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It might be an optical illusion, but it looks like your secondary is too far inward. The desired offset on your sled is 5/8", measuring from the backsides of both clutches, with around another .080-.120" outward float. And, the secondary must be set to the proper deflection and pushed all the way in before measuring.
Does your alignment tool locate on the backside of both clutches, or some other location?
its not tightened into place.its just resting on the shaft.waiting on 2 of those screws that hold the helix in before i tighten it back down.one of the washers probably fell off .ill check after.good eye though man.

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Congrats on getting 'er done. I totally agree with getting this kind of stuff done in summer, parts back orders are much less stressful, lol
nothing worse then a surprise when the first snowfall comes and im bawling in the house twidling my thumbs waiting on parts as the byes fly by.went through it before, never again lol

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Your 1st rmk 600 was for whatever reason, exceptional. I'd almost suspect something was done to the engine to make the sled run as good as it did. Higher mileage 2 strokes just don't run like that without help.
you are probably right.although my 6000 mile switchback 6 ran 2 mph faster on top end on the same gps and distance. there was nothing done to that except beat the snot out of it till i got it.

theres no reason this should be down 8 mph to that one. even if it wont be as quick , it can do better then last year for sure.

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Did you check your helix bushing in that tss-98? They can get real sloppy and bind when the sled is ridden hard.
yep.not bad surprisingly.no up down or side to side slop on the shaft atleast.

i do suspect binding.i marked the primary last year pre run, far bit not wiped off.

i installed delrins and a new spring to see if that helps at all.

·
Registered
44,194 Posts
yep.not bad surprisingly.no up down or side to side slop on the shaft atleast.

i do suspect binding.i marked the primary last year pre run, far bit not wiped off.

i installed delrins and a new spring to see if that helps at all.
As far as those delrin washers...i tried them years ago, really didn't see much or any difference vs none at all. Maybe they will help with the stiffer secondary spring your using.
you are probably right.although my 6000 mile switchback 6 ran 2 mph faster on top end on the same gps and distance. there was nothing done to that except beat the snot out of it till i got it.

theres no reason this should be down 8 mph to that one. even if it wont be as quick , it can do better then last year for sure.
Your current rmk seems to be running like some i've seen here in the past. They run basically like 600 xc sp's here. You need to get that nitrous bottle back in this sled.:sneaky:

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
As far as those delrin washers...i tried them years ago, really didn't see much or any difference vs none at all. Maybe they will help with the stiffer secondary spring your using.

Your current rmk seems to be running like some i've seen here in the past. They run basically like 600 xc sp's here. You need to get that nitrous bottle back in this sled.:sneaky:
like patriot innovations said in this thread earlier , my secondary may be out of line it appears.i figured it was just a dropped washer but there dont appear to be any in the pan. himm.... thatll do it for sure.kinda hard to shift out like that.

houston , we may have another problem....

as far as the old runner, the pull in the midrange felt more 800 cc then the rest of em'.i was neck and neck with xp rev 800s and beat 3 out of 4 f7s one day which made no sense to anyone.me included. etec xp rev 600 got eat alive.get the jump on me by 50 feet it was deuces and beat it 6 lengths and pulling further away. the only other 600 i had hang with me at all was a newer cat 600 rr or something. equal out the hole , pull a length or two midrange , hed close in at the line but i was still ahead.a local cat guy had his hands in that one i heard after and by all accounts , no one expected mine to be anywhere near it.an old mountain sled with a stitched up belly pan and 6000 miles on it lol.polaris was representing that day.

this guy right here, feels more like a 500 cc. it may never run like the old girl but man i cannot have it running this bad..

if it atleast runs down my old xc ill call it a victory. it was pretty dumb how bad my old one pulled by the same sled.

im sure there s better set up xcs out there, but it certainly wasnt bad.it took out the xc 7 the same year and a rmk 7 so id hardly say the xc 6 was slow at all.my red rmk got him maybe till 400 feet and then the xc was gaining quickily on new rmk and walk by her just before the line..longer the race worse it would get too, and that wasn't the case with the first one on 1000 feet , let alone 660 like last year.

if i go through the tps, clutching , jetting , gearing , do the same maintenance and such as the first , and still dont pull the xc handidly, i would think maybe the first one was a 660 cc and i just wasnt told, although youd think that be a selling point if it was.

me and my cousin that raced against me when setting up the xc when i owned both sleds dropped by the other day.

' oh you got another one...hows she doing "

' my old xc beat me last year '

he just stood there in disbelief. he seen first hand how bad that old one chewed up my old xc.we ran em maybe 30 times in 2 winters head to head , switching drivers , etc. id cheat on the xc and go on 2 and everything and by 300 feet it be gone by and pulling further away.

my cousin is hardcore doo guy. cut his wrist hed bleed out yellow. he said theres only one polaris id ever buy , and its this thing' on my old rmk.he said he was even considering trying to find one himself but never did.

god dam i wish i recorded those races to prove what im saying.i know it sounds like buullshit and i wouldnt believe it either if i wasnt on it myself .

before the d7 got dialed in , i wouldnt have been surprised if my old rmk 6 would have took it. the rmk i got now it would be embarassing. d7 post extension and set up id think would get the old one now, maybe.

·
Registered
44,194 Posts
like patriot innovations said in this thread earlier , my secondary may be out of line it appears.i figured it was just a dropped washer but there dont appear to be any in the pan. himm.... thatll do it for sure.kinda hard to shift out like that.

houston , we may have another problem....

as far as the old runner, the pull in the midrange felt more 800 cc then the rest of em'.i was neck and neck with xp rev 800s and beat 3 out of 4 f7s one day which made no sense to anyone.me included. etec xp rev 600 got eat alive.get the jump on me by 50 feet it was deuces and beat it 6 lengths and pulling further away. the only other 600 i had hang with me at all was a newer cat 600 rr or something. equal out the hole , pull a length or two midrange , hed close in at the line but i was still ahead.a local cat guy had his hands in that one i heard after and by all accounts , no one expected mine to be anywhere near it.an old mountain sled with a stitched up belly pan and 6000 miles on it lol.polaris was representing that day.

this guy right here, feels more like a 500 cc. it may never run like the old girl but man i cannot have it running this bad..

if it atleast runs down my old xc ill call it a victory. it was pretty dumb how bad my old one pulled by the same sled.

im sure there s better set up xcs out there, but it certainly wasnt bad.it took out the xc 7 the same year and a rmk 7 so id hardly say the xc 6 was slow at all.my red rmk got him maybe till 400 feet and then the xc was gaining quickily on new rmk and walk by her just before the line..longer the race worse it would get too, and that wasn't the case with the first one on 1000 feet , let alone 660 like last year.

if i go through the tps, clutching , jetting , gearing , do the same maintenance and such as the first , and still dont pull the xc handidly, i would think maybe the first one was a 660 cc and i just wasnt told, although youd think that be a selling point if it was.

me and my cousin that raced against me when setting up the xc when i owned both sleds dropped by the other day.

' oh you got another one...hows she doing "

' my old xc beat me last year '

he just stood there in disbelief. he seen first hand how bad that old one chewed up my old xc.we ran em maybe 30 times in 2 winters head to head , switching drivers , etc. id cheat on the xc and go on 2 and everything and by 300 feet it be gone by and pulling further away.

my cousin is hardcore doo guy. cut his wrist hed bleed out yellow. he said theres only one polaris id ever buy , and its this thing' on my old rmk.he said he was even considering trying to find one himself but never did.

god dam i wish i recorded those races to prove what im saying.i know it sounds like buullshit and i wouldnt believe it either if i wasnt on it myself .

before the d7 got dialed in , i wouldnt have been surprised if my old rmk 6 would have took it. the rmk i got now it would be embarassing. d7 post extension and set up id think would get the old one now, maybe.
If you get a tss-04 roller, you'll need to buy the alignment tool. Their different than a tss-98.

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

·
Premium Member
18,455 Posts
The proper clutch alignment for each sled setup is dependent on many things.
1. Belt width
2. Belt face angles.
3. Clutch face angles. (They're different).
4. Belt length.
5. Sheave thickness of secondary at point of measurement.
6. Motormount design and wear.
7. Belt deflection adjustment.
8. Belt wear.
9. Centers between clutches.

The objective should be to minimize poor parallelism and maintain near perfect belt to sheave contact all the way through the shift range under a wide range of loads.

This requires minimizing forward twist of the engine and then floating the secondary inward about .080-.120" from best alignment at launch. This side movement is mostly due to the different rates of belt side movement in the two clutches due to different belt contact diameters till 1:1.

I do this as described in my thread titled "breaking in my new 800 AXYS Pro-S 800". It requires manually compressing the primary with a long threaded bolt while working the belt to the 1:1 shift point in the secondary. As you close the primary, the secondary will move inward the appropriate amount required to maintain perfect belt alignment in both clutches. Any forward twist of the engine will tend to cause the secondary not to move as far inward as needed under load. You must do this with the belt you are using or a brand new one you plan to use. The necessary alignment will usually not be the same due to different dimensions. Some of this can be accommodated by extra inward or outward float depending on what's needed to deal with those differences.

Most factory alignment tools do not worry about alignment at launch, only at 1:1 shift ratio and they rely on using a new belt of the correct dimensions. And a center to center of what specs say. Not very likely in the real world.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts