Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, just got back from the Keewinaw, in the U.P and my F7 is DEAD!

It happened around 50 MPH and about 7,500 RPM's. I was riding along, stabbed the throttle and it pulled good for a short burst, then died. No Power, No Nothing. This was during the second day of riding.

Track didn't lock so I believe it didn't seize. I Looked at the pistons, clutch side is burnt, Mag is scored pretty good.

I'll say one thing though...after the clutch kit, reeds and gearing, NOTHING was touching this thing. "Serious Upstairs Power!!!" Guess they all run like that before blowing :(

I pulled out the spare XC 700 and was surprised to "still" have the fastest sled. Was able to force my buddy into putting the "Angry Thousand" back into the trailer! :rolleyes: Sorry Kevin! That big kitty got a black eye!

I'll keep everyone posted.

Any news on a waiting list for motors????? Wondering how long the fix will be???

·
Registered
119 Posts
my f5 seized last week and the dealer had all the parts over-nighted from arctic cat and was fixed in 3 days.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Nothing is on back order anymore...........I just got mine back today with a new top end and the parts were here in reasonable time. If it wasnt for christmas shipping backlog . I would have only been down fo a few days. I would imagine they will have you up and running in no time............Did you have the smart valve update done??

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No Smart Valve Update. Please inform me so I can tell the dealer?

·
Registered
841 Posts
I had mine done after it seized............All they do is replace the smart valve in the fuel tank..........not to say that that is the problem but it seems strange that all these F7's are burning down and all have same symptoms before they die.......Cat new there was a problem because they switched valves half way thru production...........go figure

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
fiechicken any idea why it burned down?Did it freeze up??
smart valve stick and lean it down??Warmed up enough?
never heard of so many burning down with out
frezing up and leaning it out..have de-icer in the fuel??

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rev them up...

Sled was warmed up good. Happened during my 2nd day of riding. Very odd how it did happen. My speedo needle is stuck at either 7500 rpm's or 75 mph, don't know which.

I've been on sleds that have seized before and they slow you down pretty quick, like your breaking hard...not with the F7...it just died and rolled to a stop!

Pistons do not look good! Plugs are greyish white! :eek:

I'm not checking anything else on this Artic Crap! It's the dealers problem now.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Sorry to hear it. Please let us know what happens and what they tell you.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It does sound like it leaned down.

No de-icer....It was 34 degrees out!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
She propley froze up on u!!My polaries xcr 600
blew up twice cause the fuel could not get to
carb's cause i had no de=icer in her..and both
times she froze up was around freezing or one
degree above.Dan said himself he noticed that
his f7 in testing was starting to freez up on him.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, I guess there are 2 places to start at...

1- Smart Valves
2- De-Icer

I'll say this, if it's #2, I hope the dealer covers it rather than saying owner neglect!

I rarely use de-icer in my sleds unless it's below freezing to suck up the water in the tank.

I will start using in the future.

Don't want this to happen again...I was layin' a whoopin on everyone that day and now i'm hearing...."Of course your fast, you're running lean!!!" :angry:

Them bastards always have something to say.

P.S. after I whooped them with the spare XC 700 they are saying "I Cheat" that "my sled goes into their lane" :lol:

I say. "If you weren't behind me, you wouldn't have that problem!" :p

It's hard to steer with the ski's in the sky! B)

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
EVER since my poo blew twice i put it in my machine's.
Put it in my 500zr and i put it in my f7..usulley get
4-5 tank's peer bottle..for only 4.99 a bottle it is
well worth it.I find they freez up near freezing mark.
My dealer TOLD me to use it.My poo did the same thing ur's
did when it froze up..just died going down the trail
plug white as snow and no fuel in the line to the carb.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I would agree about the de-icer..... but there is a smart valve recall and the smart valve controlls the fuel delivery...........

·
Registered
676 Posts
Mine went down around 60mph also. My dealer had me back on the lake in 24hrs with new top end and all the updates (except tach). He mentioned that there is a lean spot in the mid range mapping around 50-60 mph and to keep burping it and try to avoid crusing steady at those speeds.

Just another theroy.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Originally posted by Fire Chicken@Dec 30 2002, 08:04 PM
So, I guess there are 2 places to start at...

1- Smart Valves
2- De-Icer

I'll say this, if it's #2, I hope the dealer covers it rather than saying owner neglect!

I rarely use de-icer in my sleds unless it's below freezing to suck up the water in the tank.

I will start using in the future.

Don't want this to happen again...I was layin' a whoopin on everyone that day and now i'm hearing...."Of course your fast, you're running lean!!!" :angry:

Them bastards always have something to say.

P.S. after I whooped them with the spare XC 700 they are saying "I Cheat" that "my sled goes into their lane" :lol:

I say. "If you weren't behind me, you wouldn't have that problem!" :p

It's hard to steer with the ski's in the sky! B)
Fire Chicken...I am hearing from several dealers, not that this means much nowadays, that the EFI sleds do not like Fuel De Icer at all...so how can you win? If that was your problem. There is no way, with all the BS going on, that your dealer will try to pin this on you. Believe me, you will get a new top end like the rest of us. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Originally posted by sled-head@Dec 30 2002, 08:19 PM
I would agree about the de-icer..... but there is a smart valve recall and the smart valve controlls the fuel delivery...........
Is the smart valve recall Posted on here for vin numbers?

Will the ffing madness never end with this sled??? :wacko:

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Originally posted by joejoe@Dec 30 2002, 08:41 PM
Mine went down around 60mph also. My dealer had me back on the lake in 24hrs with new top end and all the updates (except tach). He mentioned that there is a lean spot in the mid range mapping around 50-60 mph and to keep burping it and try to avoid crusing steady at those speeds.

Just another theroy.
Are you kidding me??? Now we can't trail ride at a constant 50-60....CAT better get a clue or chapter 11 will be knocking on their doors after all the warranty work for the Firecats alone. :(

1 - 20 of 48 Posts