Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were going with Planet-Powersorts Jan 20 -27th and cant friggin wait. Right now I have an ODS clutch kit with the new cat orange sec spring and a 290 main jet in the fuel line. Dan at ODS seemed think 04 70gram weights would get me in the ball park for around 7,000'. As far as the chassis, I have the stock 1" track with 144 studs, front skid shock spring backed off and I modified the coupler blocks to allow slightly more transfer on the #1 setting. I guess its mostly groomed trail riding and obviously I dont intend on playing off trail beyond the capability of a 128"x 1" tracked sled can do.
Any set-up and tips will be geatly appreciatted. Thanks!

·
Registered
297 Posts
If you are planning on just staying on the trails out there, you can just leave it alone and you will be fine. We go out west two - three times a year and better than half of our group make no adjustments. EFI requires no changes. You can change the clutch weights and helix to better dial it in for elevation but really is not necessary unless you plan on climbing. You will be limited by your track depending on snow conditions anyway and I am not sure if you will really appreciate the performance gains clutching for elevation will make. I took an '04 F7 out to Vail a couple of years ago and had a blast but did not try anything crazy due to my lack of skill at the time and my sled. I got back and bought a M7. The mountains are addicting and worth the drive! Have fun.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Don't get me wrong, that will only help. What I am trying to say is that it is not going to benefit you that much. If you are going to stick to the trails, and minimal off trail, I would not do anything. Just my opinion. Just got back from Vail and Rabbit Ears and we had one Crossfire, one Sabercat EXT, one Firecat EXT that made no changes to their sleds and they performed fine for what they wanted to do. Any changes you make to clutching is going to help but you are still going to be limited by your track (length, width, and lug) when it comes to the serious offtrail. You can make all of the changes you want but you are still going to be limited in your ability to get up the mountain if there is alot of powder. So much depends on the snow conditions. I have been out west when conditions were mostly hard pack and guys on 121" were going just about everywhere we were on M7's. You are going to loose about 30% of your horsepower at elevation, be aware of that. Pictures below are of a Crossfire that made no changes for elevation at all and one of an F7 EXT that re-clutched. Getting stuck is part of riding powder. Be prepared to dig out. It is a workout at elevation.

[attachment=280584:DSC00826.JPG]
[attachment=280585:DSC00850.JPG]

·
Registered
10,580 Posts
CHANGE YOUR CLUTCHING!!!!

I believe the ODS kit uses slightly heavier than normal weights so 70g should be right on since stock for high elevation is 68. The 1" track will get you no where out there right now because of the way the snow is, but you'll have fun.

My advice for trail riding is get out of town as early as possible. Avoid the Two-top and black canyon trails if its snowing or windy, because visibility becomes a major problem. Go check out Mesa Falls one day, its worth the trip but be sure to stop in Last Chance, ID to get gas or you probably wont make it back.

Don't track the snow up, I'll be out there the same day that tour leaves. :)

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CHANGE YOUR CLUTCHING!!!!

I believe the ODS kit uses slightly heavier than normal weights so 70g should be right on since stock for high elevation is 68. The 1" track will get you no where out there right now because of the way the snow is, but you'll have fun.

My advice for trail riding is get out of town as early as possible. Avoid the Two-top and black canyon trails if its snowing or windy, because visibility becomes a major problem. Go check out Mesa Falls one day, its worth the trip but be sure to stop in Last Chance, ID to get gas or you probably wont make it back.

Don't track the snow up, I'll be out there the same day that tour leaves. :)[/b]
Right on-thanks!

Yeah I have 78 gram Daltons and I figured 70's sounded about right. Thanks :beerchug:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Were going with Planet-Powersorts Jan 20 -27th and cant friggin wait. Right now I have an ODS clutch kit with the new cat orange sec spring and a 290 main jet in the fuel line. Dan at ODS seemed think 04 70gram weights would get me in the ball park for around 7,000'. As far as the chassis, I have the stock 1" track with 144 studs, front skid shock spring backed off and I modified the coupler blocks to allow slightly more transfer on the #1 setting. I guess its mostly groomed trail riding and obviously I dont intend on playing off trail beyond the capability of a 128"x 1" tracked sled can do.
Any set-up and tips will be geatly appreciatted. Thanks![/b]
I had a 05 firecat standard and I put the 1.375 sno pro track on mine and it was like night and day difference get the sno pro track you won't regret it

·
Registered
10,580 Posts
Right on-thanks!

Yeah I have 78 gram Daltons and I figured 70's sounded about right. Thanks :beerchug:[/b]
70 or 71, I think when my 04 firecat was stock I would run 70's in it when in Minnesota and 63's when out west, so thats a 7g drop. Just make sure you have fun. :beerchug:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just going for a week. I guess if I coud borrow one I may swap tracks, but I wont be buying a track for a one week trip though....[/b]
once you ride with the sno pro you would not go back to the 1" track with studs the is know comparasion, I did it that track hooks up like a mother.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got back from West Yellowstone area and the Firecat did really good. I dropped from 78's with a orange sping to 70's with the stock yellow and with the ODS sec set up it would hit 7600, drop to 6900 and slowly climb back to 7500. Not right, but it was close enough to have a blast. Firecat chassis was fine for groomed trail riding but I think the Crossfire chassis would be perfect for groomed trail and occasional off trail riding. The M 1000 in our group was not enjoying the hard/flat groomed trails but the Xfires were cheezin and the snow was hard enough for us flat land sleds to play off trail and thankfully I only got burried once........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts