Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this sounds crazy..But my F7 has LESS ski lift after taking the coupling blocks out entirely! I just put 25 miles on..went down to Marty's to finally pick up our TMA's.. We are legal in VT now :eek: Have the coupler blocks out and straps in the middle hole. Virtually NO ski lift with this setup! And takes the big whoops better too. This thing is absolutly the most fun sled I've ever ridden.. And I keep finding ways to make it even better. My old XC would feel like a dump truck compared to this sled! I LOVE it :wub:

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
when u say no ski lift, do you mean around the corners or just off the dead stop, i kinda like the way it pulls the skis off the ground under hard acceleration, but not in the twisties, thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Firecat_freak@Jan 7 2003, 01:30 PM
when u say no ski lift, do you mean around the corners or just off the dead stop, i kinda like the way it pulls the skis off the ground under hard acceleration, but not in the twisties, thanks
with the limiter straps in the middle hole the skis just barely come off the ground on a holeshot. But I was still getting ski lift in the corners with the blocks on #2. Less cornering ski-lift with the blocks out entirely, and the straight ahead acceration is unchanged.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
THAT SEEMS ODD, IT GOES AGAINST EVERYTHING I THOUGHT I KNEW ABOUT REAR SUSPENSIONS
THE COUPLING BLOCK IS SUPPOSE TO TRANSFER SOME OF THE FORCE TO THE FRONT SKID?
ON POLARIS TAKE EM OUT AND THEY WILL STAND STRAIGHT UP AND DOWN!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by F700@Jan 7 2003, 01:40 PM
Rob, you don't bottom out on the big whoops with the coupling blocks out?
It IS softer, and I can bottom out on the big whoops if I hit them hard enough, but I'm still running the spring blocks (rear torsion springs) on the low setting. If that were turned up it would prevent bottoming.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
This is very interesting. It goes entirely against what Cat claims they do. Rob, what kind of conditions were you trying this in?? I have always liked the ride of a fully coupled sled over a non-coupled one. Wonder if the length of the track has something to do with it??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Jay@Jan 7 2003, 02:19 PM
This is very interesting. It goes entirely against what Cat claims they do. Rob, what kind of conditions were you trying this in?? I have always liked the ride of a fully coupled sled over a non-coupled one. Wonder if the length of the track has something to do with it??
I've always preferred a coupled ride also.. I agree it is strange. On sunday I tried it in loose snow and powder. Today was hardpack groomed. Works great, that's all I can say. This is an easy one to try, takes all of 2 minutes to take them off.

Cat really doesn't say anything about the Firecat coupling blocks.. In fact they don't even mention them in the owners manual. Like they don't exist. (they probably shouldn't) :p

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
ROB,
USUALLY HAVE THE DEALERSHIP WORK ON MY SLED...BUT AM GOING UP TO THE UP ON THURSDAY ...COULD YOU SHOW A PIC OF WHAT YOU HAVE TO REMOVE OR EXPLAIN IT MORE THOROUGHLY??? I NORMALLY DON'T MESS AROUND WITH THE SLED TO MUCH ...BUT THIS REALLY SEEMS TO WORK AND I WOULD LIKE TO TRY IT

BRIAN

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by firecat513@Jan 7 2003, 02:59 PM
ROB,
USUALLY HAVE THE DEALERSHIP WORK ON MY SLED...BUT AM GOING UP TO THE UP ON THURSDAY ...COULD YOU SHOW A PIC OF WHAT YOU HAVE TO REMOVE OR EXPLAIN IT MORE THOROUGHLY??? I NORMALLY DON'T MESS AROUND WITH THE SLED TO MUCH ...BUT THIS REALLY SEEMS TO WORK AND I WOULD LIKE TO TRY IT

BRIAN
They are shown in the picture below. You remove them by removing the allen head bolt (5/16" I think). Save the block and the bolt in case you want to reinstall them. If you reinstall them, make sure they are flush with the rear arm when compressed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Rob, Will this work on an f-5 without snowpro package? I have a Black Saber Cat. This is my first New snowmobile,and my first arctic cat. Love it so far,after all the updates. If I can make it any better I will. Also seems to use alot of oil. 1/2 resv. in 72 miles is this norm? this is all it has on it so far. :huh:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know. How's that for an honest answer? Mine's a F7 snopro, but I would *think* it would work the same on a F5 std. It is easy to try, and easy to put back if you don't like it.

As far as the oil goes, smaller engines always use more oil because they require more throttle to run at the same speeds. If your pump marks line up I'd say it is correct.

·
Registered
516 Posts

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Its 35 in Houghton right now. Its 50 in the Twin Cities. The trail report on Keweenaw.com says poor to fair. That means plenty of dirt. Better off waiting till this weekend when it snows.
Cat S.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Originally posted by snowface@Jan 7 2003, 03:21 PM
firecat 513, where are you going in the UP. I'll be in the area as well.
I'M GOING TO GRAND MARAIS ....PM ME LETS HOOK UP...LOOK AT WWW.JOHNDEE.COM...HE CALLS FOR 4-8 IN ON THURSDAY, FRIDAY AND SATURDAY WITH COLD TEMPS...NOT ONLY THAT BUT A LOCAL IS TAKING US ON ALL OF THE "UNKNOWN" TRAILS

1 - 20 of 49 Posts