Hardcore Sledder banner

Taiga

6K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  too slow 
#1 ·
Anyone pilot one of these?

I watched the video, pretty wimpy acceleration. And how accessible is electric power charging station's? I know Marty's in Danville VT has a station, but how would this work in Arroostuck Cry?

https://taigamotors.ca/snowmobiles/

#2 ·
I'd think those sleds will be more of a niche product for now, e.g as fleet sleds to take novice riders on shorter guided trips..

Reactions: p51mstg
#4 ·
taking the 2 stroke sound away would not add up to more fun for me. i need range and couldn't take the chance of it not making it back. hard to believe -20f wouldn't kill the battery faster. but considering the performance of a tesla, it is possible to have electric power without major issues

#6 ·
I, too, think it's a niche product. I can see ski resorts using them for ski patrol, transporting lift crews up the hill, etc.

Not sure if I could get used to the big hole in the sky created by an absence of the sound of a 2-stroke, but people ride 4-strokes and don't seem to mind.

The potential for torque at extremely low RPM from electric motors could be interesting, but with the significant limitations of battery power I don't think this sort of thing could ever become mainstream.

UNLESS, they could run off a 3,000-ft extension cord (kind of like a TOW missile) - that would be a wild drag racing sled.

#7 · (Edited)
#9 ·
There are a lot of videos on YouTube of the stuff. It's all junk. Couple staged videos where an electronic dirt bike beats a 2 stroke dirt bike. The kicker, an old, tired 92'. Videos of Tesla's beating "modded" hot rods. One I just saw, was a 1968 1.6 litre Volvo "turbo" station wagon, it beat it by 6-8 car lengths in a short race. Let me pick the car. Those Taiga snowmobiles are junk too.

#12 ·
The build quality looks deplorable in those videos on youtube. So does the rider positioning. These are good (maybe) for the type of guy who uses a sled for gathering firewood or going lake fishing.

For crossing 3 states on a 1000+ mile backpacking trip or going into insanely remote areas out west? You'd be out of your mind to think this is a viable alternative.

#15 ·
Maybe if they have trails in urban areas and use those recharge stations. Around here you can rip for 1, even 2hrs in places, without going by ewvan a house or anything, let alone a charging station in the middle of no where.

#17 ·
If I get the opportunity to test one I will. I know for little kids this might be a cool sled.

My granddaughters are put off by the noise of the Kitty kat. I just got the 4 yr old to try it, and she said it's too noisy and smoky lol

#20 ·
Over here in Norway, the vechicle tax levels are huge, based on weight, power and in later years, emissions. Powerful american cars are severly hit by this tax. Just checked, a 2017 Shelby Mustang GT500 is upwards of $200K :cry:
Electrical vehicles have been excempt, and also got lots of other benefits, like no or reduced road tax, allowed to drive in bus lanes etc. So Tesla does really well over here.

#21 ·
The company still loses money LOTS of it, every year still. But that is my point, the electric cars are being forced down your throats. It's half dozen of one, or 6 of the other. They create pollution, some say more, in a different way. It still requires natural gas, coal, or nuclear energy to be able to use them. Unlike what the 20 somethings think, you don't just plug them into the wall. Sorta like if you ask the same group where their food comes from, the common answer? The grocery store:fluffy::nuts:

#22 ·
3.3 seconds to 62 mph is pretty damn good acceleration.
not promoting the car. just saying that electric power CAN be wicked.the ludicrous version does it in 2.3 seconds.
I test drove an S model and the salesperson had me do a Ludicrous launch...........Just incredible acceleration, I drove my 600 hp V coupe to the test drive and it felt slow after driving the Tesla.

#24 ·
almost exclusively hydro power. But lots of wind farms under construction, with lots of subsidies.
(our goverments wants to sell our clean hydro power to EU - and we the consumers got to pay for the wind farms :mad: )

#26 ·
I've had the "but battery powered vehicles are actually more destructive to the environment" with many.

Some just prefer to pretend or believe electric is some king of "saving grace" but the facts are facts.

Battery power creates a whole nother problem on disposal. And electricity usage.

I was a certified emissions tester. And I read up a ton of this issue when I went through the training.

I will never own an electric anything. One of my old bosses had an electric UTV. Thing couldn't go any where lol.

#33 ·
Hear about the high speed chase in California, the cops have Tesla's. Imagine that. 1st question, they are a trillion, with a T, in debt, yet they have the money to buy Tesla's. Wow. Anyhow, in a short time, the Tesla had to let the guy get away, it ran out of juice, lol. Junk

#35 · (Edited)
If they can figure out the range and it has the performance they say, its going to be hard to beat. Someone tested their most recent one and said its a turbo killer.

As for electric power. It packs a punch. Look at trains. Its basically a diesel generator to power the electric powertrain. Theres a car called a Rimac Two. Just over 1900 hp. Full electric. 0 to 60 1.85 seconds.

Imagine if the tiaga didnt have those few setbacks amd delivers the power it says it has. Why it would sell. You can be at 12,000 ft and still have the power you have at sea level. No belts, no clutches, no oil, (is imagine theres still a chaincase that needs oil). I hope they can keep it going and advance the machines to work just fine in the real world.

Video of the rimac drag race
https://youtu.be/fWrUl3uemb4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.