Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone pilot one of these?

I watched the video, pretty wimpy acceleration. And how accessible is electric power charging station's? I know Marty's in Danville VT has a station, but how would this work in Arroostuck Cry?

https://taigamotors.ca/snowmobiles/

·
Registered
16,827 Posts
I'd think those sleds will be more of a niche product for now, e.g as fleet sleds to take novice riders on shorter guided trips..

Reactions: p51mstg

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
taking the 2 stroke sound away would not add up to more fun for me. i need range and couldn't take the chance of it not making it back. hard to believe -20f wouldn't kill the battery faster. but considering the performance of a tesla, it is possible to have electric power without major issues

·
Registered
958 Posts
I, too, think it's a niche product. I can see ski resorts using them for ski patrol, transporting lift crews up the hill, etc.

Not sure if I could get used to the big hole in the sky created by an absence of the sound of a 2-stroke, but people ride 4-strokes and don't seem to mind.

The potential for torque at extremely low RPM from electric motors could be interesting, but with the significant limitations of battery power I don't think this sort of thing could ever become mainstream.

UNLESS, they could run off a 3,000-ft extension cord (kind of like a TOW missile) - that would be a wild drag racing sled.

·
Registered
16,827 Posts

·
Registered
39,980 Posts
Haven't heard or read much on the electric motocross bikes, or even the electric street motorcycles for that matter. Maybe due to cost vs range?

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Haven't heard or read much on the electric motocross bikes, or even the electric street motorcycles for that matter. Maybe due to cost vs range?
There are a lot of videos on YouTube of the stuff. It's all junk. Couple staged videos where an electronic dirt bike beats a 2 stroke dirt bike. The kicker, an old, tired 92'. Videos of Tesla's beating "modded" hot rods. One I just saw, was a 1968 1.6 litre Volvo "turbo" station wagon, it beat it by 6-8 car lengths in a short race. Let me pick the car. Those Taiga snowmobiles are junk too.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
another thought is the high voltage. hybrid cars have scary voltage and needs to be handled with care. sled may need similar voltage.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
The build quality looks deplorable in those videos on youtube. So does the rider positioning. These are good (maybe) for the type of guy who uses a sled for gathering firewood or going lake fishing.

For crossing 3 states on a 1000+ mile backpacking trip or going into insanely remote areas out west? You'd be out of your mind to think this is a viable alternative.

·
Registered
39,980 Posts
There are a lot of videos on YouTube of the stuff. It's all junk. Couple staged videos where an electronic dirt bike beats a 2 stroke dirt bike. The kicker, an old, tired 92'. Videos of Tesla's beating "modded" hot rods. One I just saw, was a 1968 1.6 litre Volvo "turbo" station wagon, it beat it by 6-8 car lengths in a short race. Let me pick the car. Those Taiga snowmobiles are junk too.
Pretty sure i saw those same youtube videos long ago. The actual weight is a bit heavy to.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Maybe if they have trails in urban areas and use those recharge stations. Around here you can rip for 1, even 2hrs in places, without going by ewvan a house or anything, let alone a charging station in the middle of no where.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I get the opportunity to test one I will. I know for little kids this might be a cool sled.

My granddaughters are put off by the noise of the Kitty kat. I just got the 4 yr old to try it, and she said it's too noisy and smoky lol

·
Registered
16,827 Posts
My granddaughters are put off by the noise of the Kitty kat. I just got the 4 yr old to try it, and she said it's too noisy and smoky lol
ouch, 4 years old and a tree hugger already..? :stirthepot:

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
ouch, 4 years old and a tree hugger already..?
The schools brainwash plan is obviously working, even at that age. Little girls are different than little boys though. Most just don't get into this kind of stuff. With or without parent and grandparent influences.

As far as riding one of these, I would try it out. Who knows, maybe it's not so bad. Electric golf carts aren't so bad. I prefer gas ones, but it beats walking.

As far as how fast a hopped up Tesla is, I don't care. I am pretty closed minded with this stuff admittedly. I mean, I make my living working on internal combustion Engines. That's why I say, let me pick the car the Tesla races. It isn't that spectacular. I am not totally closed minded about electric cars, or hybrids, I just think that the government needs to stay out of it, and quit giving my tax dollars away to subsidize something that isn't viable. Meaning, it costs more than it makes, what's the point? Fine, Tesla wants to make electric cars, cool. More power to him. BUT, you do on your dime, or private investors, like the original car makers did back in the early 1900's. They weren't givin billions of dollars back then, which would have been equal to hundreds of millions of free money to figure it out. They did it themselves, some made fortunes beyond comprehension, some went bankrupt. As has been, Tesla would have been long gone and belly up, if not for the huge subsidized funding they have received. That's a fact. Because, one, it's not viable, two, there isn't a big enough demand. It's simple economics. Those 2 things make or break ANY product.

·
Registered
16,827 Posts
Over here in Norway, the vechicle tax levels are huge, based on weight, power and in later years, emissions. Powerful american cars are severly hit by this tax. Just checked, a 2017 Shelby Mustang GT500 is upwards of $200K :cry:
Electrical vehicles have been excempt, and also got lots of other benefits, like no or reduced road tax, allowed to drive in bus lanes etc. So Tesla does really well over here.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts