Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a t-cat1000 with 6500 miles and was losing antifrezze not a lot but maybe 1/2 a cup every time I went out. So I through the engine on the bench and disadembled it to find the water pumb seal leaking,,,.and the mag side crank seal weeping but never showed signs of lean but my quetions are this how does the counter balance shaft come apart so I can replace the bearings and does any one know of things to do while I'm in here to help out with performance the motor always seems slow to get going. not that its slow or running poor just slow like there is a man hole cover on the flywheel ya know.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I have a t-cat1000 with 6500 miles and was losing antifrezze not a lot but maybe 1/2 a cup every time I went out. So I through the engine on the bench and disadembled it to find the water pumb seal leaking,,,.and the mag side crank seal weeping but never showed signs of lean but my quetions are this how does the counter balance shaft come apart so I can replace the bearings and does any one know of things to do while I'm in here to help out with performance the motor always seems slow to get going. not that its slow or running poor just slow like there is a man hole cover on the flywheel ya know.[/b]
If the counter balance shaft bearings are not bad you can repack them. I use Mobil 1 synthetic grease. Of course you will need to replace both water pump seals and new crank seals. Be sure and check the impeller shaft for any kind of wear. With 6500 miles I would advise replacing that shaft and a new impeller too. If you do a search here on what used to be the zrt/thundercat forum, you will be able to find info regarding the replacement of that shaft. :beerchug:
P.S. don't use silicone when assembling the cases. Use Three Bond 1104 liquid gasket. :div20:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've always used yama bond #4 to seal the cases,, Probablythe same thing... "a teflon semi hardning sealer" asthree bond. not afected by gas and oil like silicne. the factury silicone was deterurating and floating around in the balance shaft area. for the cost differance you just cant take a chance.

·
Registered
997 Posts
rotto,

If you need to replace the water pump shaft make sure you measure it first before removing. I used the end part a dial calipers and recorded the measurement so I could put the new one at the same exact measurement plus or minus 2-3 thousands. Also put the new shaft in the freezer overnight. It will go in alot easier!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts