Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 800R coming home, should I run regular oil in the first tank or go right to synthetic for the first tank, or a mix?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to go with full synthetic but I heard that you should go with regular oil for the first tank.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Every article that I read said NO Synthetic for the break-in. I have not used it yet on a break in and went to amsoil after the first tank. Never had any problems with sled motors in the past. Synthetic will be to slick and cause the walls to glaze over and the rings will not seat properly.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The manual recommends the synthetic blend to use, or synthetic. I've heard that going straight to synthetic has caused problems in some engines (usually older ones) in that the recommended oil was just regular conventional oil....myself, full synthetic from the first pull, done it with all my sleds, never any problems....

·
Registered
59 Posts
The manual recommends the synthetic blend to use, or synthetic. I've heard that going straight to synthetic has caused problems in some engines (usually older ones) in that the recommended oil was just regular conventional oil....myself, full synthetic from the first pull, done it with all my sleds, never any problems....[/b]
Have you always burnt full synthetic in your '06 600SDI? I've run nothing but 800's, but this year I found a left over '07 600SDI X and I'm getting conflicting advice on either the semi-synthetic or full synthetic. Per the stickers on the sled, it says either or, but the owners manual recommends semi. I've had really good luck with the XPS full synthetic in the 800's and would like to continue using the same with this new sled. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Have you always burnt full synthetic in your '06 600SDI? I've run nothing but 800's, but this year I found a left over '07 600SDI X and I'm getting conflicting advice on either the semi-synthetic or full synthetic. Per the stickers on the sled, it says either or, but the owners manual recommends semi. I've had really good luck with the XPS full synthetic in the 800's and would like to continue using the same with this new sled. Any thoughts?[/b]
Yes, ran full synthetic from new in all my 600HO SDI's (1-05, 2-06's). The wife's 600HO SDI still runs like new, RAVES are clean, no complaints whatsoever. Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes, ran full synthetic from new in all my 600HO SDI's (1-05, 2-06's). The wife's 600HO SDI still runs like new, RAVES are clean, no complaints whatsoever. Hope this helps!![/b]
Thanks for the quick reply. Good to hear from someone with first hand experience; I'll stick with the full synthetic.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Except you had better not put any oil in the first tank of fuel in an SDI engine. Real bad mojo would happen!![/b]
Yep, knew that going in. I plan to use one gallon of semi and then make the switch to full synthetic. Good follow-up.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've run full synthetic Amsoil HP for 7,000 miles. The only thing I have on the 06 600 SDI is 150 / 140 on a compression test. Should I be worried?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've run full synthetic Amsoil HP for 7,000 miles. The only thing I have on the 06 600 SDI is 150 / 140 on a compression test. Should I be worried?[/b]
7K miles is great; sounds as though the synthetic is working out for you. As for 150 / 140, I thought the 600cc sleds only have 120; it's the 800's that have 150. Did you do a warm or cold check? I've always done cold checks with the throttle held open. Pull 5- 6 times until the gage stops moving. Either way, I've always been told that the cylinders should be between 5 - 10 psi of one another. I would say you're okay.

My last sled was an '03 800 which I just sold about a month ago. That sled saw one gallon of mineral at break-in and full synthetic exclusively from that point until 4700 miles. Compression checked at 146 on each cylinder. Can't go wrong with good quality oil and a somewhat rich oil pump setting.

My 2 cents.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts