Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Pro X 800 , 16 Pro S LE 800, 06 Fusion 600 Dragon, 03 Edge X 600, 99 XC700SP, 96 XCRSP, 91 RXL
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a customer in this morning wanting tracks put on his Rhino SxS. When I asked if he was using for hunting he stated " No, I bought a trail permit and am going to tour on the snowmobile trails this winter"
I quickly told him you couldn't ride ATVs on OFSC Trails when system was open. He got all cranky about how, yes he could ride them all he wanted because it was a tracked vehicle.
I explained how dangerous it was to sleds to find those twin ruts in the trail or meeting something that wide without watning and how someone could get seriously hurt. Said it wasn't his problem, people should be more careful.

Is it legal to run SxS on OFSC Trails during season?

I'm not installing this kit until I know for sure. This asshole will probably find way to blame me if he gets stopped, which I'm sure will happen

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Its not legal to run them on OFSC trails. Its not classified as a snowmobile regardless if it has tracks or not. Same way if you put tires on a sled, doesn't make it an atv. Under the traffic act they both have they're own designation. If he wants to trail ride SxS legally, you have to go to Quebec where they have a separate atv trail system ( which is groomed in winter also).

Ppl these day are retarded with a sense of intidalment.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 SWITCHBACK PRO-S 800
127 Posts
I believe the registration has to indicate that it is a snow vehicle to get a trail pass. Motorcycles with a track are not permitted, same goes for four wheelers and sxs.
I am a trail patroller in the Ottawa area and I have stopped them all. The only tricky part is if it's a land owner.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Its not legal to run them on OFSC trails. Its not classified as a snowmobile regardless if it has tracks or not. Same way if you put tires on a sled, doesn't make it an atv. Under the traffic act they both have they're own designation. If he wants to trail ride SxS legally, you have to go to Quebec where they have a separate atv trail system ( which is groomed in winter also).

Ppl these day are retarded with a sense of intidalment.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
He can't run tracks on a SXS on the ATV trail system in Quebec either

·
Registered
426 Posts
Dumb asses. That's the last thing we need is a few thousand pound SXS tearing up the trails.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
I'm less concerned about what it will do to the trail than meeting one face-to-face on the trail, some of those are already quite wide with wheels (add another 18 or so inches for the tracks...)

Let them (snowbikes too) develop their own trail system as snowmobilers have done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
He can't run tracks on a SXS on the ATV trail system in Quebec either
Normally no , but there are tons of atv groomed trails that run just to the side of the Quebec snowmobile trail - and “some do share” some sections - though are clearly marked so.

Saw a bunch of husband and wives doing atv winter trail riding up in Mount Laurier a couple years back. Just like us on sleds .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
426 Posts
Normally no , but there are tons of atv groomed trails that run just to the side of the Quebec snowmobile trail - and “some do share” some sections - though are clearly marked so.

Saw a bunch of husband and wives doing atv winter trail riding up in Mount Laurier a couple years back. Just like us on sleds .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TRACKED SxS vehicles (and/or tracked ATVs) are NOT allowed on FQCQ trails. SOME FQCQ clubs accept (wheeled) SXS vehicles, but not all clubs do. Some trails are shared between FCMQ and FQCQ clubs but these are generally close to infrastructures (ie bridges) or road crossings. Both federations recognize that trail sharing is sub-optimal (for compatibility reasons) and so are actively working to keep the trail systems as distinct as possible.

·
Premium Member
15 Pro X 800 , 16 Pro S LE 800, 06 Fusion 600 Dragon, 03 Edge X 600, 99 XC700SP, 96 XCRSP, 91 RXL
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. Was 99% sure was illegal on trail, but thought better get more opinions.
This guy strikes me as kind of ass that would go out on trail, get caught, then blame me for not informing him. Then not paying bill or screaming he wanted his money back like it was my fault. These kind of dick's can really cause a business grief once they get rolling on Facebook or Twitter.
Going to print on his invoice that tracks are not legal on trails, that I advised him of such, and that I have no liability and installed with no responsibility of use after installation.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The only place he can ride with tracks is Haliburton forest, but that might even be limited to ATVs and not include SXS. sounds a like a real treat of a customer.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Thanks guys. Was 99% sure was illegal on trail, but thought better get more opinions.
This guy strikes me as kind of ass that would go out on trail, get caught, then blame me for not informing him. Then not paying bill or screaming he wanted his money back like it was my fault. These kind of dick's can really cause a business grief once they get rolling on Facebook or Twitter.
Going to print on his invoice that tracks are not legal on trails, that I advised him of such, and that I have no liability and installed with no responsibility of use after installation.
It's funny how some people can show their "true colors". You may have just dodged a bullet. But I'd not be surprised if you get some nasty comments about your reasoning :rolleyes:

Reactions: Go Bruins Go

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Have him initial it. Are you a notary? Lol. That'd seal it legally.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not trying to open a can of worms but is it not legal on crown land as long as they don't cross private property?

·
Registered
2014 ZR8000lxr 19-20 mileage = 904.5
4,393 Posts
Nope nowhere but on private property with permission from a landowner. People just don't get it. These things are not legislated correctly is the real problem. Call your assemblyman or whoever. Get to work fixing it !

·
Super Moderator
2016 1200 Renegade X
243 Posts
Not trying to open a can of worms but is it not legal on crown land as long as they don't cross private property?
I’ve ridden on some trails south of Algonquin where they are permitted in certain cases. Not sure if all the rules as I don’t get up there often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapajunk Pro

·
Registered
201 Posts
We had atvs for over 25 yrars on these trails. Today it seems to destro trails in the spring and fall. I had atvs for over 25 years and the new stuff leaves deep.ruts the jeeps used to. Takes forever for swamps and holes to freeze up today.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts