Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm currently running a wasted set of woody's gold diggers on my 98 Indy 500, they are the 7mm with an aluminum square backer. I am running 96 and some of them are in the outer belt, I did not stud this sled, it was my brother's and he did it when he got it. I am going to replace the studs with 96 gold diggers but in a 5/16" size, do I need to resize the holes? I'd also like to reuse the backers if possible since they are in great shape but the 5/16" backers are usually a little larger than the ones sold to go with the 7mm ones and obviously the hole size will be a little different. Can I just ream the hole in the backer to fit the 5/16" stud? The backer for the 7mm stud is 1.125" square while the backer for the 5/16" stud is 1.25" square, so I am only talking about an 1/8" here. I only have the studs and nylock nuts in the 5/16" so this is why I ask the question. Also, will I have to ream the holes in the track bigger? Should I figure a pattern for just down the center and leave the empty holes in the outer belts? Thanks for the help, Daryl

·
Registered
673 Posts
Your new studs should push right in. You are only talking ~ 0.5mm in difference, the old ones should have loosened the existing holes. I just had to replace some bent ones on mine and they went in alot eaiser than the first time.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Like Noodle said, you'll be fine. Just push the 5/16 studs right back through the original holes. You can drill out the backers to fit the 5/16 studs. Personally I'd full all the original holes in the middle and side belts but that is up to you. It won't hurt anything to leave some holes open.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.