Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at both sleds but cant decide. Never owned a polaris but love the reverse, seating, handle bars, speedo, and looks of that hood but hate the graphics. Now the cat has also a great seat position and handle bars but no reverse. Worried cat will come out with reverse on there sleds for 07 along with many other changes. The smopro has great graphics. Help me make a choice before the snow flies

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Cat doesn't have the handle bars like polaris. I will have to tell you after snow flied what I think as my dad got a 600 HO switcher with racer graphics and a riding buddy got a crossfire 7. I would say polaris as its what I always have ridden but if you have the money for the crossfire 6 SP why not its a better shock package. Oh yea and the 600 HO makes more horsepower than the 600 lay down does.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the switchback rear suspention hold up or does it fade, does the rear sag while riding and does it give up a lot of rear travel when u sit on it

Arctic Cat also has a 4 year warrenty. Makes me think somethings up for 07

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Dont forget the running of premium in the polaris 600 ho and the 144 that you have to spin. The tipped rails aside, you still have to spin it, so expect even less topend (but I assume that top end is not that big of a deal if you are buying a hybrid).

I think that the adjustable bars are cool for the obvious reasons, but personally, I would adjust them once and never again. You will ride the machine for what it is, not what the bars allow you to do. In other words, I dont think you are going to put the bars back and cruise on a mahine that is built based on stand up riding. The Cat bars are mountian specific, they are wider and more comfortable for someone used to the riding ACs.

As far as the shocks, I think the Switch has remotes in the back.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Polaris SwitchBack for off trail/Boondocking Cross fire for trail crusing. Both sleds have great motors an look good the ajustable handle bars would be nice an once you have the Perc revers you'll never go with out it again. Good luck with your decsion.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Both look to be great sleds. Polaris has never given me a reason to switch brands so it was a pretty easy choice for me. If you are going to do alot of powder riding, I'd favor the S/B. Reverse should be nice plus too but I have never had it on a sled so its hard for me to place a value on it. But, if all things were equal for you with the type of riding and the pros and cons of each machine, the extra 2 years of warranty (if it really is a true warranty) might seal the deal. I didn't like the regular S/B graphics when I saw them in the brochure so I ordered the Racer. However, one of the recent threads in here has some pics of the standard graphics and I like them alot more than I thought I would. Check it out. You might be surprised. As for sit in, on mine, I weigh 190 lbs and with the bars forward, there is little if any sit in when I plop down with the springs in the softest setting. However, if I'm off the sled and lift the rear end and set it down, the tunnel collapses a couple of inches.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Sooooo Tates, any decision???? Man, that is a tough one. This is what I know. Last year I owned a Fusion 9 and consistently had stock Switchback 900s going by on top end and no there was nothing wrong with my sled. For some reason(suspension/rail profile?) the SBs were faster on top. Should be no different this year. Perc is a great feature. The 600 Poo will likely have a little more snort than the CF6, at least according to early reports. The adjustable bars DO make a difference; how much you use them is up to you. Don't base your decision on graphics, they can easily be changed. I went with the CF7 as Polaris didn't impress me with their 900 last year and I want more motor than the 600. If I were shopping for a 600.....well, there'd be a few sleepless nights for sure. Hmmmmm, now I'M second guessing......

Both killer sleds, can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did make my choice. Today I brought home a Yamaha apex er red. All I can say is its awesome! Cat and Polaris are out ,Yammi is in I guess i cant call them yammajunk anymore. Beautiful Sled

·
Registered
415 Posts
Originally posted by Tates@Oct 26 2005, 09:31 PM
I did make my choice.  Today I brought home a  Yamaha apex er red.  All I can say is its awesome!  Cat and Polaris are out ,Yammi is in    I guess i cant call them yammajunk anymore.  Beautiful Sled
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=958928
[/quote]
Enjoy! What made you switch directions???

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Originally posted by snowdamit@Oct 26 2005, 09:57 PM
Enjoy!  What made you switch directions???
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=959034
[/quote]

Yeah, why the change of heart? Not that there's anything wrong with your decision. I was at the Yam dealer yesterday checking out the Apex and Attack. Incredible snowmobiles! 2006 seems to be good, albeit somewhat stressful year to be in the market for a new ride. Congrats! How 'bout some pics!!!! :div20:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The reason i left cat was that they seem kind of behind on technology. Worried about buying one and next year and in 07 they would come out with a whole new line up. they are due for one. I think i needed a change, all ive owned were cats. Also got to thinking about the longer track on the crossfire and switckback and think steering would be compensated. The polaris i think needs another year to iron things out. The switchback needs wider floor boards. Got away form narrow floorboards and dont want them back. The graphics are terriable, except for racer graphics. The yamaha is just wicked! Looks, sound, Power, speedo and comfort is just excellent! ( 1 lap around the yard) Look at the yamahas and give them a chance, I did and i cant stop looking at it in the garage. cant wait to ride it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Originally posted by Tates@Oct 27 2005, 05:11 PM
The reason i left cat was that they seem kind of behind on technology.  Worried about buying one and next year and in 07 they would come out with a whole new line up. they are due for one. I think i needed a change, all ive owned were cats.  Also got to thinking about the longer track on the crossfire and switckback and think steering would be compensated.  The polaris i think needs another year to iron things out.  The switchback needs wider floor boards. Got away form narrow floorboards and dont want them back.  The graphics are terriable, except for racer graphics.  The yamaha is just wicked! Looks, sound, Power, speedo and comfort is just excellent! ( 1 lap around the yard)  Look at the yamahas and give them a chance, I did and i cant stop looking at it in the garage.  cant wait to ride it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=960904
[/quote]

I think you made a good decision. That Apex ER will be one fun trail sled. Notice the emphasis on the word trail. The Crossfire is a good sled, but w/o reverse it wasn't going to be an option to me. I wouldn't have bought the Switchback if it had wide running boards. Wide running boards float way too much in the deep snow, a narrow running board allows the track to keep digging at slower speeds. Wide running boards are for trail sleds, period. The ONE thing I wish my Switcher had is EFI. Other than that, there's not a sled on the market right now that will suit me better. Eventually I'll post some before & after pics. :div20:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts