Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a few SnoPro racers that have dismounted the swaybar.

Why ?. Weight only or...

:beerchug:

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
The main reason I have found is that if you case a jump and land wanky you can pull out of it if you don't have one in. If you leave it in you can loose control of the sled realy fast if you land on one ski.

The reason you run one on the plush riding long tourings is you can cut the spring rate in half for each side. Run a much lighter spring rate because your sharing spring rate from one side to the other. You then get a very plush ride and smooth.

I hate them they smash your bulk head all to hell.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by DonoBBD@Sep 5 2005, 02:22 PM
The main reason I have found is that if you case a jump and land wanky you can pull out of it if you don't have one in.  If you leave it in you can loose control of the sled realy fast if you land on one ski.

The reason you run one on the plush riding long tourings is you can cut the spring rate in half for each side.  Run a much lighter spring rate because your sharing spring rate from one side to the other.  You then get a very plush ride and smooth. 

I hate them they smash your bulk head all to hell.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=861529
[/quote]

DonoBBD,

So what you say is, if you run agressive with alot of bumps go without swaybar and if more comfort is wanted use swaybar.........

:beerchug:

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Prity much...... :beerchug:

It is to each his own......it is what you like to ride and how you like it to ride.

I love not having one. The trails up here are beat realy bad and the corners can be wooped out realy bad and you can get into alot of trouble fast. With out one your body on the sled has more control.
Just my buck, buck69............

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay DynoBBD. That makes sense for sure. Thanks for your input

:div20:

Anyone else not using the swaybar ?........

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I've been considering taking mine out this season. I've read lots of posts about he advantages/disavantages of having one. I've never riden a sled that doesn't have one, so I thought I'd pull mine out and see how I like it. If I don't like it, it's a matter of 6 rivets to put it back in. Not too much work.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Yeah I have heard all the yap too. So this winter I think I might try my sled for a day without the sway bar. I don't think I will like it.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Just a little heads up on you guys that take the bar off. You need to up your spring rate or you will never be happy. You will need to tighten up your front springs nere 6 full turns. That would be a good starting point. You want the outter ski to plant its self when entering a courner. You might find letting out the limiter strap one notch with help with more control. If you have a bar riser you will find it easyer to control your sled with your weight.

Just some foot for thought. I would hate any of us to loose some seat time because you were not happy with how it handles. If the inside ski lifts in the courners when you get on the gas tighten up the limilters some.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you lift the front end off the ground with a jack or lift and remove the shocks/springs you will then see what the sway bar does. As you lift one ski the other ski also lifts. So as you corner and put pressure on the outside ski the entire front end of the sled lowers keeping you flatter through the corners. The size of the sway bar allows more or less flex. You are in a sense borrowing spring-rate from the other side as well. Keep in mind that when you hit something with one ski it will also try to lift on the other ski as well and throw the entire front end up more evenly. The reason snocross racers leave the sway bar out becomes obvious since they are hitting many bumps with one ski or the other and want a truly independent front end to keep the entire front end from lifting. A swaybar is absolutely neccesary for flat fast trail riding, river riding, cross country, ice lemans, oval racing, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts