Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems like a new thing.

Once in a while, with the sled idling, the sway bar rattles like a cement mixer.

The bar is loose in the bushings, both end are in the plastic slider.

Is this normal???

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have the same rattle on my 01, Thought there was something wrong but didnt see anything

What is different on the 03 blocks ?

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
Mine do it to, just lean over to one side of the sled, it goes away :boogieboy:

·
Registered
314 Posts
I am assuming that the rattle is coming from the sway bar pivot bushings and not the trailing arm sliders. If so and you don't want to replace the bushings then try squeezing some silicone in there to keep the bar from rattling. Just a thought.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am assuming that the rattle is coming from the sway bar pivot bushings and not the trailing arm sliders. If so and you don't want to replace the bushings then try squeezing some silicone in there to keep the bar from rattling. Just a thought.[/b]
Mine is coming from the trailing arm slider, Is there a fix you know of ? or do you just deal with it

·
Registered
328 Posts
I remember reading here about a fix someone came up with a long time ago. If I remember right, it involved drilling a hole in each block and installing a spring and ball bearing to take up the slack. You might try a search here or in the old "Polaris Tips" post pinned at the top. I've just learned to tune it out.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I put a set of the updated plastic inserts on my wife's 2001 500, and the rattle disappeared. The updated inserts seemed to have wider "flares" on the ends, if that makes sense. I believe I paid $10 or $15 (total) for both, and installation was easy.

(I removed the bolt on the rear of the trailing arm, pulled the trailing arm away from the body a bit, removed the sway bar from the bushing, slid the old bushing out, put the new bushing in ... )

·
Registered
69 Posts
I put a set of the updated plastic inserts on my wife's 2001 500, and the rattle disappeared. The updated inserts seemed to have wider "flares" on the ends, if that makes sense. I believe I paid $10 or $15 (total) for both, and installation was easy.

(I removed the bolt on the rear of the trailing arm, pulled the trailing arm away from the body a bit, removed the sway bar from the bushing, slid the old bushing out, put the new bushing in ... )[/b]
Yep, this was the fix for the 2002s. Super easy and cheap. The new inserts just have their ends flared out just like Caddisfly said. Picture an 'H' with a hole in the center where the swaybar goes and the top and bottom of the H spread out. They hold themselves in the channel in the trailing arm and prevent the idle rattling problem. Real easy to replace them... just remove the trailing arm rear bolt and swing the trailing arm out enough to disengage the swaybar, then slide the inserts out and replace.

Rob

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you still need the part number let me know... I removed my swaybar today (converting my sled into an RMK) and I noticed the blocks have numbers on them. I can go get them if you want.

Rob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts