Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swapping the cylinder head on 03 F7 efi... Head that is on there now was put on last year.. and not many miles of run time on it.. if it matters.. ?? My question is.. Does the O-rings need to be changed everytime you remove the head.. ? or can they be reused if not say flatten-out..

Thanks...

Steve..

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL !!!! :beerchug:

·
Registered
989 Posts
They can be re-used if they dont change size on you after pulling off. We just got done doing a topend on my dad's 03 and could not get the old ones to fit,they grew alot! We tried freezing them and there was just no way to reuse. Sometimes you can sometimes ya cant. Pull it and see, new set is $40.00 +/-.

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
I have reused with no problem but they do expand quickly and I have been able to shrink them in the microwave. I use lots of grease to hold them. I have also been unsuccessful in reusing and have had to bite the bullet and buy new ones.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well see its like this.. I have all the orings but one outer !!! The closet dealers (2) to me are out of them and wont get them in time.. (my time frame) I have to do some repairs on it this week-end and send it on its way up north tuesday morning.. When buddy's are leaving.. I very much want to do the head swap.. before she goes..! Thats why Im asking.. $$$ isnt a factor, Im not looking to skimp out on buying new ones.. just in a bind.. Ive taking this thing apart many of times.. each time replaced what looked to be perfect o-rings.. just this time im down one.. Maybe Ill try it..

Was looking to hear.. Yes ive done it.. and it works fine.. from someone who knows.. LOL

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
I reuse O-rings all the time, if they haven't been pinched or flattened. If you have to reuse it and it has grown and you can't get it back in the groove with grease or RTV silicone, take a razor blade, cut a tiny piece out and Super Glue it together. I have done this numerous times and it works perfectly, never leaked. If you want to be really safe, put a dab of silicone were you spliced it back together. There is Super Glue in all my tool boxes for this very reason. I'm sure I will be told this won't work by many people, but trust me, it does. I have done it at the track between time trials and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
i use the vaseline trick. put it in the cylinder groove and they will stick. they will seal fine if they aren't flattened, pitted, or torn anywhere. i would use the cutting trick only in a pinch.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Loony... :beerchug: And everyone.. Its great to have a site like this to ask questions..

Swap went well.. O-rings stayed in grooves and felt / looked very nice.. put alittle lube on head and set her down and torqed.. add coolant.. and ran till warm.. Done..

Thanks Again to all...

Steve.... HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!! :banana:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts