Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Polaris should have offered a 136in switchback for us flatlanders.

Can you bolt on 136in rails to a switchback 144 skidframe?

I thought the rear scissor arm location was different on the various rail lengths of the Xtra Lite skid?

I would like to bolt on 136 tipped up rails to a switchback skidframe.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Why would you want to do this ? The ultralite suspension will still ride like crap,so theres no gain there,reducing the footprint will make deep snow and hardpac traction worse,you will have to move the snoflap ahead or it will cool even worse than stock. I shortened my 151 escape to 144, but I changed out the whole skid to a M-10w.The ride is exelent,however the hardpac traction suffered.I still couldnt keep it cool,so this year I'm building a tunnel strip heat exchanger to replace the rear cooler,which never got any snow on it anyway.This in conjunction with the perimiter cooling ,will cool a watercraft motor. It also puts an end to the ice berg build up in the tunnel. I guess I got off topic a bit, but I sure cant see any advantage to shortining it. My wife rides a 136 RMK with an M-10 in it and threr is no cornering advantage either. just my .02

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think 144 is simply too much track for hardpack flatland use.
I like the features of the switchback chassis and would like more than 121in for the ride and a moderate improvement in flotation for the limited off trail riding I do.

144in will likely compromise trail handling.
136in strikes me as the right balance.

I would love it if we got enough snow that this was a mute point but...........we don't.

So...Will the 136 rails bolt on?
Will a 136 skid bolt into the existing holes?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
all I can ad is that Iv'e run them all, 151[toolong] 144,and 136. My 144's [I have 2] wil hang with any 121 when its smooth,will eat them alive in the roughies.The rails should bolt on,pol sells a kit that only has rails to up from 121. The arm geometry is what it is.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I put the 136 polaris kit in my 02 8ooX and it was the best sled I've ever owned .That length is the best a fully coupled skid for us flatlanders was perfect.Drag racing on a fluffy lake ,nobody could touch me it just got up like a scared cat and took off.I'm hoping polaris makes a kit for the fusion because I love long tracks :banana:

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Keep in mind that the ultra-lite skid is NOT coupled . Hooks up like velcro,but will kick like a mule.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts