Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wacko: I just got off the phone with the dealer I bought my F7 from. Asked them about the 20% stiffer kit I have been reading about on this site. He said he has not heard of this kit offered but has sold many sno-pro springs to standard F7 riders and they seem to be happy with it. I just don't buy it. I am currently of the mind set that I need more dampening, not more spring. I would think that a stiffer rear spring would only make the problem worse. (BOING) My rear suspension feels like it has nothing but spring. I can flex all bazzillion inches of travel effortlesly from top to bottom with NO dampening resistance. I just lost a bit more confidence in my dealer. It actually felt like he was trying to con me.

Anyone out there care to explain how more spring will help my situation? I actually laugh out loud when I read about owners who never bottom out. I could be wrong, but I still think my problem is in the dampening.

Next question - Anyone have a part number for the stiffening upgrade so I can call this bozo back and get pricing?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
what is your weight? if you have a shock problem you'd know, like riding a pissed off bull!
i have sno-pro and have the spring blocks sets to stiffest setting, i weigh 265 and it takes a hell of mogul or jump to bottom out, the dampening on the sno-pro may be differet, but i can definetly tell you the shock is much stiffer than my buddys std. f-7

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
195# - dealer's tech. also told me the sled was designed for a 140# to 160# rider. The pissed off bull thing, that's actually a good way to put it. No evidence of damage or leaks though.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Last week I had the spring kit put in my standard. The kit includes all rear springs and stiffer valving for the rear shocks. I also asked the dealer if they could stiffen the damping on the front shocks which they were alble to do. I like the ride must better when riding hard and it seems to just handle better. I am about 230 with gear.

S

·
0 Posts
I was one of the first on the forum to get the 20% upgrade done on my F5 snopro, I have quite a few posts on here concearning your question (part#'s and opinions). I'm 155 lbs, ride on only ungroomed trails, the odd snowX on the weekend.
I was very impressed with the upgrade (But no more plush ride at low speed) it's GREAT! On highspeed jumps and bumps, awsome! It feels more responsive to ride input on bumpy trails, I was out today hitting some pretty big "table type" jumps and getting about 30-40 feet in length and 10-12 in the air. She took it really good " Pics tomorrow". (No more bottoming the thing anyway)
The Kit comes with the Valving for all the shocks and just the 3 rear springs, new rear spring blocks and spring sliders, $275 intsalled Canadian "it is PN 3639-064, for std suspension sleds, and 3639-065 for the snow pro"
I turned the front springs so 4 inches of thread showing (still a bit soft for high speed turning). I took out the Sway bars on the front suspension due to effects on off camber jumps and bumpy corners " slowed down flat cornering a bit more just have to lean harder ". Got the front skid spring so it's just got a bit of tension, the rears got set on 1, and the rear coupler blocks I took out. the strap in stock position.
As I said if you find it too soft for your riding style and weight, I would recomend it to be done, some on the forum say don't do it just put the springs on.
I think there are more people on groomed trails that are pleasure riders, good for them lucky few,
I'm not one of those, HARD, FAST, HIGH, FIRST, or go I'll just home! (with the rubber side down of course)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:D Sweet!

Thanks for the info snowblind. I'm on it immediately. She'll be ready for next weekend!

Yahoo!

I said it before and I'll say it again...This site ROCKS!

·
Registered
73 Posts
My Canadian dealer didn't know anything about the kit either but had it overnight when I gave them the part numbers thanks to this site. The kit actually comes with new valving for all 4 shocks and 3 new springs for the rear. I rebuilt the shocks myself and used 3wt Torco synthetic shock oil. This really improved the handling of the sled since I could back off spring tension (reduce ride hight) without bottoming all the time. My standard is now set up more inline with Rob's Sno Pro setup. Front end is great and the front skid doesn't bottom any more but the rear skid is a little too stiff for trail cruising speeds. I'm going to try going back to the original rear springs. With the stiffer valving and front skid spring, I think it may be just right.

OH yeah... I weigh 205 and like to ride hard but don't want to be bucked around at trail speed either.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Got the kit last Friday and installed all the springs Saturday. Dealer can't do the revalving right now, so gave the springs only ride Sunday. I'm 240 suited and only bottomed once. The torsion springs were set at lowest setting and front skid spring just tighter than rattling. The ride was a little bouncy. Can't wait to get all the shock revalved. By the way, the upgrade front spring, I believe the same as the snopro, was about 1.5" shorter than the standard spring and a much lower spring rate. I mention this because, I backed off my standard spring per Rob's tip to make less "tippy", but that should apply to snopro's only. That is just too little preload for the standard spring.

catfish

·
Registered
73 Posts
catfish,

The ride is still "bouncy" with the new valving. Not enough rebound dampening. I'm going back to the stock torsion springs. I think it will be OK now with the stiffer valving and front skid spring.

·
Registered
313 Posts
This is really weird. I have a sno pro and think it is too hard on small bumps. It bucks me all the time. I have to stand up all the time. You guys with the standard claim your suspension is too spongey. Can we find something in between? One of you two should try the standard front skid spring w/ the sno pro torsion springs. I believe the torsions will stop the bottoming and heavy bounce affect, but give you the smooth ride from the front skid spring (standard). I'm not impressed w/ my sno pro. Its great for huge jumps and fast,deep mogul, but thats it. I want something smoother for rough trails. I get bucked all over the place on my sp. The back end keeps bouncing out sideways.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts