Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I have an '02 Edge 700 and '03 Pro-X 600. I really like the ride on the Pro-X. What I don't like about the Edge is that the front seems soft. The front sits probably at least 2" compressed when just sitting and seems a little to whimpy. The guy I had bought the sled from said he weighed under 150 pounds. I'm all of 210 dressed. I am wondering if I up'ed the preload on the front track spring to help lift the front and then also up the pre-load on the front springs if that might help? The machine is already a bit darty as is, but tolerable, so I figure increasing the front track spring preload will help to take some of the pressure off the ski's that I will put on by increasing their preload. Dumb idea? Any other ideas? Also where can I get the tool to adjust the track spring as the spring does not "engage" the collar nut like it does on the front?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
This is normal for an edge as compared to a pro-x. Increasing the preload will change the ride hight slightly,but will not stiffen the suspension.Stiffness is a function of spring rate and shock compression valving.A higher rate spring will increase ride hight and stiffness,but will agrevate the darting.That sled should sit in about 2 -3 inches w/o a rider in front.If its not bottoming,you dont need more rate.Slide the shock bumper down all the way, then ride it like you normally do.If the bumper is pushed all the way back up,maybe you do need more rate,but try cranking a couple turns of preload in first.
Bottom line here is that you are going to spend a ton of money makeing that xc ride and handle like a pro-x,it can be done ,but only by an experienced suspension tuner.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
The edge handles best setting low if you crank things up your going to get inside ski left.If your want to try just go with more skie pressure till it gets to tippy for ya.I wiegh about the same as you & have the front track spring just tight anof to keep it on ,which is what most suggest on HCS.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
As another example of all this,I have a tri-city 12" travel frontend on my 04 escape,BUT,I run 5" of sit in.The extra travel is DROP OUT. Most stock sleds do not have enough drop out because the owners crank the preload up all the way to get more compression travel {that they dont need}.Now, when you crank it into a hard, bumpy corner,The inside ski lifts off the surface and you are steering with only one ski.If the drop out is equal to or slightly less than the compression,both skis stay down,the sled will ride better and you wont target as many trees trying to get thru a corner.
If you have the suspension set so that 60% of the total travel is compression,and its bottoming,you need (in this order) stiffer compression valving on the shocks,higher rate front springs,to slow down.
Another thing,work on ONE end of the sled at a time.The front of rear spring is mainly a wieght transfer adjustment.When you start turning it up to control darting,you will change the transfer in the rear.If the darting is that much of an issue ,look at the carbides,there should be more of it behind the projected line of the spindle to the snow.You can change this by changeing brands of carbide,or removeing some carbide from the leading edge.Another trick is to shim the rear of the ski saddle 1/8" at time untill the dart goes away.This tricks the ski,makeing it "feel" more wieght behind the spindle centerline.
If you REALLY want to make it carve ,get a set of SLP SLT skis and shim them 1/4".You will be amazed at how light you can have the skis and still have outstanding control.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
The edge handles best setting low if you crank things up your going to get inside ski left.If your want to try just go with more skie pressure till it gets to tippy for ya.I wiegh about the same as you & have the front track spring just tight anof to keep it on ,which is what most suggest on HCS.[/b]

Funny that's what I hear but I have mine set opposite. I have 4" of threads showing on front shocks, the ride is excellent and zero darting. I however do have USI PX 301's with 10" of 60 degree carbide. On the gen2 and aggressive sleds for me I found they got darty and unpredictable in corners if springs were not cranked up. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Funny that's what I hear but I have mine set opposite. I have 4" of threads showing on front shocks, the ride is excellent and zero darting. I however do have USI PX 301's with 10" of 60 degree carbide. On the gen2 and aggressive sleds for me I found they got darty and unpredictable in corners if springs were not cranked up. :dunno:[/b]

You probably are heavily studded and run the rear on the stiff side too,correct?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
You have a row of studs in the outside edge of the track ,right ?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
You have a row of studs in the outside edge of the track ,right ?[/b]

Last year I ran no studs for first half of season then added 144 using outside belt in pre punched holes. Track lugs failed (new track-Kimpex :banghead: )so now I have installed a Camo Predator with Woody's 144 pattern in middle only with 96 studs in double backers. For years I have run studs on outside belts and have been fortunate to never have a pull out.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Studs in the outside edges,while great for ice raceing have no use on a trail sled.They dont help hookup for acceleration,are very hard on the bond to the grouser rods in the track due to heat buildup,and require a more agressive front end setup in order to corner well. The aggressive front end will be prone to darting on freshly groomed trails and can be fatiging to the rider on a long run.
Studding in the center only is best,to each his own!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
A few years back I rode in Quebec with a buddy, we both had new XCR's. Mine was studded 192 and big carbides, his was 144 in middle and tiny carbides. He sacked his springs down and could do nothing to stop the darting where mine had none.

If I had cruise control on my 700xc I could steer with my pinky fingers. The sled rails and is not tippy, again the big difference is probably the Project X skis. Zero darting and no fatigue. Lucky maybe??? Works so good I held off buying a Fusion, to that I am truly lucky.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Obviously what youve done works.I think your right about the skis to.Stock pol plastic skis do induce some funny handleing characteriscts.

I do like the black xc's too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts