Hardcore Sledder banner

Suspension Coupling

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  yo momma 
#1 ·
This may be old news but, get your rear arm coupled. I've put 400 miles on a coupled rear (Sled Pro system). What a difference! Can't believe how well the sled handles (00 ZL 500). Stutter bumps are much easier to handle and more fun. Inside ski lift has been reduced to almost nil. Feels like the control factor has been notched up allowing me to take turns and bumps faster than ever. Would strongly recommend this for any ZR/ZL prior to an 02 with uncoupled rear. Can't stress enough that this is one of the best upgrades you can get for $100. Add to that reduced fatigue and you have a sure bet for any sled, AC, Doo and Pol. (don't know if they make the kit for Yam)

Mark

#2 ·
Unfortunately, you still have to do it yourself if you have a newer ZL since AC still hasn't coupled the ZL's. I have a 02 zl800 and I coupled it before I put it on the snow last year. It has made one of the best riding sleds on the snow. Without it you get hit in the stomach first and then in the back of the head. After all the raves over coupling the zr's I cannot understand them not coupling all their sleds.

#3 ·
:p Hi Boy's
Just got back from Northern MN with 400 miles under my track with the trails not in good shape. I have an 02 ZL 600EFI/ESR that last year had poor handling with ski lift and kick back. I installed the AC coupling kit this fall and after 400 miles of poor trails, I agree 110% it has made the machine what I expected in the first place. I can take the stutters at 30-40 MPH in full control and the kick back is gone! I agree this is the best upgrade you can do for your non coupled cat. I love the EFI also as the machine just starts and runs great in all conditions.

I am praying for more snow...just like you

Ronski

#5 ·
Mike,
I have the coupling set up as you suggested this fall. I have 1 inch of preload on the front ski shocks, limiter strap out all the way, lightest preload on the front skid shock, light setting on the rear coil spring and the coupler blocks set on number 3 for early contact. I get about 3-4 inches of sag when I sit on the seat and about 1 inch of free space between the rear arm and the blocks at that point.

Question, do you think that I am contacting the blocks too soon with this set up? I was thinking about moving the rear coil spring to the Medium setting in order to have slightly less sag.

Your thoughts?

Ronski

#6 ·
Ronski,
I wouldn't worry about it if you are happy with the ride and handling; but I would try the rear spring blocks for better ride if you need more stiffness. If that doesn't work, then try the center spring. In theory, you want it to transition from uncoupled to coupled without even noticing it doing so. Some sleds hit the coupler blocks and feel like the spring rate just tripled and will feel too stiff. So when the rear arm hits the coupling block, and the rear spring starts borrowing from the center, if the center is too stiff, there will be too much sudden stiffness. I guess just experiment, you won't hurt anything. mike

#7 ·
Thanks Mike...HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that the springs and shocks in my ZL are a bit on the light side anyway. I don't feel any change in the skid as I am riding so the front and rear are matched up pretty close. I will try a couple of things if we ever get some snow here in MN. Thanks bud

Ronski

#14 ·
Just did some pow riding tonight. Didn't notice any difference with the rear coupled in powder. Big difference when trail riding. Didn't notice any power loss in fact power and transfer seem more related to entire suspension settings than to just rear coupling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.