Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using regular and put on 200 miles since I bought my 2004 500 xc. I was wondering if anyone noticed a difference by running super instead of regular gas.

Mine has the switch for the higher octane gas.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have been using regular and put on 200 miles since I bought my 2004 500 xc. I was wondering if anyone noticed a difference by running super instead of regular gas.

Mine has the switch for the higher octane gas.[/b]
i heard that running higher octane gas on the premium setting advances the timing on the sled. some ppl say they noticed a dif others say no. personally i run premium with the light on and hav always since i bought it. if theres is a dif it prolly isnt anything remarkable.

·
Registered
468 Posts
it does advance the timing when ran on the premimum setting. this is nothing new.

personally i notice it runinng a bit more crisp and "well rounded". nothing to write home about, but i run it with premimum because of it...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Also premium around here doesn't have any ethanol in it, it is real gas. All of the regular around here has ethanol and you could have problems with gas if you get more than 10% ethanol becouse you are going to go lean.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I know for my XCR with the key on the premium setting they recommend 91 octane, non premium key setting is 89 octane. Regular gas is only 87 octane.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Now that all regular gas has ethanol in it, I'm running premium to be extra cautious. Most pumps are labeled "up to 10% ethanol", that's alot. Shouldn't have any problems with icing up when your gas is 10% alcohol though. ;)

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I can't see not running it on the premium setting. I used to see 150-200 rpm change when moving the key at WOT. Those that don't see a difference either don't know the difference, or their clutching is too light to see it.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
I put 93 octane in, but I usually leave the octane switch on the "regular" setting. IMO, that gives me the most protection against detonation.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I run premium on the premium setting and plug/piston wash is perfect for my jetting/temp/alt. On real cold mornings ill still run premium but on the regular switch. Anytime i do this i can see the plugs darken quite a bit with just regular cruising. Does it change the whole timing map or just drop off on the top (ie. above 7000 ive heard)?

Even my previous sleds ive always run 89 for a bit of a safety margin.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I havent noticed a performance difference but it runs 200 degrees cooler on the EGT with 94 octane on premium setting over 94 on regular setting.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I run premium on the premium setting and plug/piston wash is perfect for my jetting/temp/alt. On real cold mornings ill still run premium but on the regular switch. Anytime i do this i can see the plugs darken quite a bit with just regular cruising. Does it change the whole timing map or just drop off on the top (ie. above 7000 ive heard)?

Even my previous sleds ive always run 89 for a bit of a safety margin.[/b]
It only adds 2 degrees above 7000 rpm...

I havent noticed a performance difference but it runs 200 degrees cooler on the EGT with 94 octane on premium setting over 94 on regular setting.[/b]
It shows cooler on the EGTs on "premium" because more heat is staying in the motor. More of the fuel is being burned in the engine, rather than burning as it enters the pipe.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Now that all regular gas has ethanol in it, I'm running premium to be extra cautious. Most pumps are labeled "up to 10% ethanol", that's alot. Shouldn't have any problems with icing up when your gas is 10% alcohol though. ;)[/b]
Question....Since when had ethanol and alchol been the same thing????

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Question....Since when had ethanol and alchol been the same thing????[/b]
Ethanol is ethyl alcohol. Methanol is methyl alcohol. Isopropanol is Isopropyl alcohol.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I try to run premium as often as possible but most places on the trails around don't carry it. my question is with 10% ethanol in regular gas now, do I still have to put gas line antifreeze in the tank?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
i noticed running regular the one time i used it, was in the middle of nowhere and all we could get, throttle response was not all there, could really feel it breakin trail

·
Registered
942 Posts
i noticed running regular the one time i used it, was in the middle of nowhere and all we could get, throttle response was not all there, could really feel it breakin trail[/b]
this year i am jetted down 2 on MJ. ran 89 at the premium setting with no DET light. happy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts