Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought we could ride next to the asphalt trail with studs,a buddy got stopped just south of North Branch and was told he could not ride the grade from Forest Lake to North Branch (what about from F.L. to Hugo) and to ride the ditch,now I thought if you could not ride next to an asphalt trail the DNR had to provide an alternitive trail meaning stop sings,yeild sings,speed limits,grooming etc.After going up 61 in my truck to check out the ditch's,it would be pretty hard especaily with a family to be dodgeing all of the snowbanks and weaving back and fourth accross the road around areas you can not get through.The DNR guy said the only reason people can not ride along the grade is the on and off of bridges,I know from 97 and south the laydown wood chips and north of that I seen rubber mats,still with all of this extra fee bullshit we still can not ride along the grade,I have rode along the grade for 6 years sence moving up here with studs and not about to stop now,for christ sake the asphalt trail is normaly plowed and everyone tries to avoid that thing,WHAT DOES THE DNR DO WITH ALL OF THE MONEY FROM THE EXTRA FEE'S.BS BS BS BS BS BS BS

·
Registered
16 Posts
the dnr guy said it was the clubs responsibility to plow the paved part. he also said it was a county law or code ordinance or some bs they passed right before the stud sticker went buy buy to not ride studs up there. yea riding the ditch was not the best but wouldnt be bad if groomed or maintaned

WE AS A GROUP (ALL SNOWMOBILERS/ ATVERS) NEED TO GET TOGETHER AND TRY AND GET SOME CHANGES MADE TO THE TRAIL SYSTEMS

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I thought we could ride next to the asphalt trail with studs,a buddy got stopped just south of North Branch and was told he could not ride the grade from Forest Lake to North Branch (what about from F.L. to Hugo) and to ride the ditch,now I thought if you could not ride next to an asphalt trail the DNR had to provide an alternitive trail meaning stop sings,yeild sings,speed limits,grooming etc.After going up 61 in my truck to check out the ditch's,it would be pretty hard especaily with a family to be dodgeing all of the snowbanks and weaving back and fourth accross the road around areas you can not get through.The DNR guy said the only reason people can not ride along the grade is the on and off of bridges,I know from 97 and south the laydown wood chips and north of that I seen rubber mats,still with all of this extra fee bullshit we still can not ride along the grade,I have rode along the grade for 6 years sence moving up here with studs and not about to stop now,for christ sake the asphalt trail is normaly plowed and everyone tries to avoid that thing,WHAT DOES THE DNR DO WITH ALL OF THE MONEY FROM THE EXTRA FEE'S.BS BS BS BS BS BS BS[/b]

Again, I'm sooo proud that our "SNOWMOBILE" $ paid to have that sucker paved!! Maybe we all need fight and get a law passed that forces EVEYONE who uses that trail to purchase a trail sticker!! It's starting to look like this state's ultimate goal is to kill the sport of snowmobiling at any cost. I personally don't like using studs, but if others use them I'm fine with it. I sure am glad that states like Micjigan, and Wisconsin LOVE our snowmobile $ and will bend over backwards for us.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
yes f7rat even thou there is no more stud sticker you still cant ride the grade with studs , haven't been able to since 1999 .
powersmoker , the dnr is wrong we have nothing to do with plowing the black top , it is done by county parks deptment , the same people that wouldn't let us use the black top portion if we let the snow build up on it . It really was a few that ruined it for us back in the winter of 98-99
let me know if you would like Mr.Mork's #

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also agree anyone in the summer should have to pay to use it ( walkers, bikers, rolerbladers, etc) they do that down in canon falls you have to have a pass to use the trail. the state is making it really expensive for snowmobilers close to $80.00 for three years with all their B.S. there is no excuses for poor trails this year until now with warm up but the trails should have been mint prior to the warm up

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would love to put studs on my sled, but since I live right on the trail along 61, I wouldn't be able to ride from Hugo to anywhere without getting tagged and the WCSO likes to sit between 170th and downtown Hugo. I like to see the enforcement, but we need to be able to use studs for safety reasons if nothing else. Just my 2c.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would love to put studs on my sled, but since I live right on the trail along 61, I wouldn't be able to ride from Hugo to anywhere without getting tagged and the WCSO likes to sit between 170th and downtown Hugo. I like to see the enforcement, but we need to be able to use studs for safety reasons if nothing else. Just my 2c.[/b]
it never really made sense to me anyways, because even with a non studded sled your carbides are still going to grove the pavement.... i wonder if i could get away with my camoplast track with the carbide nubs on the lugs.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
F the state......they get enough money out of us as it is and it obviously is not getting used for what its sposed to be used for.

haven't registered a sled or bought a trail sticker in MN for two years now.......i don't ride around here much anyways anymore though and i don't touch the trails so why even bother?

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
it never really made sense to me anyways, because even with a non studded sled your carbides are still going to grove the pavement.... i wonder if i could get away with my camoplast track with the carbide nubs on the lugs.[/b]
you can not use any metal traction device on the trail , I was stopped for having track screws in my track and got my hand slapped . the hope in 1999 was plowing the bike path would keep people off the black top , hasn't happened . the only hope of keeping damage down is by not plowing the bike path but on friday they told me no .

DNR 651 296-6157 Dan Breva trails and waterways

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Again, I'm sooo proud that our "SNOWMOBILE" $ paid to have that sucker paved!! Maybe we all need fight and get a law passed that forces EVEYONE who uses that trail to purchase a trail sticker!! It's starting to look like this state's ultimate goal is to kill the sport of snowmobiling at any cost. I personally don't like using studs, but if others use them I'm fine with it. I sure am glad that states like Micjigan, and Wisconsin LOVE our snowmobile $ and will bend over backwards for us.[/b]
Youre right on the mark about MI. and WI. I love going there and I'll continue to go there. We just spent four days in the U.P. and spend 1000 dollars on gas alone plus room and board etc, etc, and I'm glad to give it to them!!!!!! I had a problem with an officer up by Itasca state park two years ago so I called her superviser and we talked for 45 minutes. He said they actaully have people on the payroll to find out why everyone goes there. I said thats easy, every officer that Ive ever dault with is a COMPLETE asshole. I've never seen a trail sticker on a set of skies, or roller blades or a fuckin peddle bike. And they just keep fuckin use on registration. Someone just told me that atv's are like $50 now. Thats more then a fuckin car for christ sake.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
F the state......they get enough money out of us as it is and it obviously is not getting used for what its sposed to be used for.

haven't registered a sled or bought a trail sticker in MN for two years now.......i don't ride around here much anyways anymore though and i don't touch the trails so why even bother?[/b]

how do you know its not getting used where its supposed to ? the money is for grooming if the trail isn't being groomed go to a club meeting and find out why . until you do you dont know what your talking about .
you can ask anyone around here if the money is being spent and if they are getting their moneys worth , hell i've spent $900 on fuel for groomers already and it's only January 7th , obviously some are trying and some are not , now go find out why

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

haven't registered a sled or bought a trail sticker in MN for two years now.......i don't ride around here much anyways anymore though and i don't touch the trails so why even bother?[/b]
I tried that last year then we got busted in the U.P. for not having current reg. $150 fine. I thought you only needed a MI permit but I was wrong.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It just seems a few others share common views. Maybe a class that involves Rules & Regulations would be a starter. Knowing why Mr.Green Jeans waits out by the RR grade is a good reason why I know where a couple $$ go. Sometimes a few mess it up for the masses.............Message is No Studs on the Sunrise Prarie Trail.....ridinthebest!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
didnt the snowmobile clubs/dnr start that trail after the railroad stoped using it it wasnt paved then, now it got paved and snowmobiles cant ride on it (with studs) i know they paved it for people to use in the summer which is fine but dont keep charging sleders more money and them nothing for same use or actually more useage do to winter riding season is so short, they they bitch and maon that the pavement it getting tore up when they arnt paying for it. i agree then you should not be allowed to have any metal on the bottom of your skis (carbied or metalrod) because that makes marks also on blacktop. i use studs for more a of a safety reason than gettin goin thing,safer in corners safer stopping etc etc

·
Registered
261 Posts
You are correct pwrsmkr, the trail was started as a snowmobile trail after the RR pulled up the tracks. Then after it was fixed up as a nice sled trail the County decided it was too nice to sit idle during the summer months and wanted a nice bike trail. Next thing you know they paved it. Then NO SLEDS WITH STUDS on the trail. The option was to allow non-studded sleds to run parallel with the paved trail which is now groomed by the local clubs. I agree 100% that studs are a safety issue, I have one with studs and one w/o.I was one of the 1st in line to pay for my stud sticker, which is no longer necessary, which was also used to help pay for the "damage" done to the SPT. Bottom line is that even with the trail next to the paved trail you CANNOT ride next to it with studs. It just sucks that this one of the areas that the sled trail started- then taken over by the pedal-pushers.In reality would they be out there during the winter if we had a real winter? Don't think so! What is also tough is that for the last 5 years we didn't have cold/snowy weather and those groups claimed the RR grades as their own.....Hope we get back to real winters...still ridinthebest!!!

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It just seems a few others share common views. Maybe a class that involves Rules & Regulations would be a starter. Knowing why Mr.Green Jeans waits out by the RR grade is a good reason why I know where a couple $$ go. Sometimes a few mess it up for the masses.............Message is No Studs on the Sunrise Prarie Trail.....ridinthebest!!!![/b]

Well I am not sure what taking a class on rules and regulations would prove seeing each county seems to make their own rules up and still knowone has answered why the DNR said you can not ride next to the asphalt from Forest Lake and north,but why can you ride next to the asphalt south of Forest Lake,is it because they have put woodchips over and on eachside of the bridge so the studs do not touch the asphalt ?I would agree by not plowing the asphalt would be better but if it is plowed we know no one would even think of riding on it.And Kevin,what are the rules about taking a differant path/trail due to the asphalt,singage,grooming,riding in the ditch against traffic at night ? and making sure you can ride the ditch all the way without crossing the road back and fourth.By chance Kevin,where you one of the guys from Wild River club on Dec. 11th at the fire station teaching/helping with snowmobile tranning ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
ridinthebest
that is what im saying we all need to get together and try and get back our trails!!!!!!!!!!!
this is god damn ridiculis that it is "our" trail system and we cant ride on it if we have to have trail passes so should EVERYONE bikers, rollerbladers, dog walkers etc etc i want some answers from the stupid dnr on how they can do this and then charge more for in on top is anyone on here work for the dnr or what ?????????

1 - 20 of 42 Posts