Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am converting the sled to a trail / mountain rider. I have purchased low compression heads, bigger tank, and worked out a deal for a 144 track. The low compression head includes new clutching.

Do I have to change gears? I am completely uninterested in top speed as torque is what gets you around the hills. Can anyone suggest a proper gear ratio?

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
you already should have 19/43 with a 74 link chain , this combo = 2.26 to 1 ration! you could drop the top sprocket to a 18 or a 17 and still use the bottom 43 with a 72 link chain! 2.36 or 2.53. With the 17/43 combo you will end up loosing about 9~11 MPH off the current top speed (figure around 72 mph without overdrive and 8500 rpm).

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
I am not sure but I think when the top sprocket gets really small it doesnt last as long. I have seen this comment on snowwest , could be worse with the RMK boys they are running 140 hp + and on the power 80% of the time.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, do you think I can just keep what I have or do I need to go to a smaller top gear?

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
I would run it.... most prox sleds (600-800) are geared 1.60 ~ 1.80.... your already well past that , granted you dont have the power the big guns do but that little 440 is fast out of the gate mostly because of gearing!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts