Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a mounting system for my Legend CX. I really don't want to drill holes in my hood to mount the GPS and I think the handlebar mounts will vibrate too much to see the screen at idle. I was thinking about the suction cup mounts but I doubt they would hold. I was wondereing if anyone had tried them?

·
Registered
355 Posts
i have a suction mount that i use for my car, and by boat and i will jsut say that those things (RAM suction mounts) are strong as hell. i was curious how well it would hold, so i found some aluminum that was laying horizontally from the rafters in my garage, and i put the suction cup on there and it easily held my weight haging from it. i am about 180lbs. so, yea..... it will hold. i think vibration will always be concern when mounting on a sled, but the strenght of the suction is not a concern. my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I should be getting my suction cup mount for my Legend Cx today. I'm going to try it out in the UP this weekend. I'll let you know how it holds up. I'm guessing by the above replies that it will work fine. I, too, don't want to drill holes on the dash of my sled. I ordered the Garmin unit from a vendor on ebay. The suction cup mount seemed better for me since I can move it from car to car and use it in rental cars when I travel. And I was hoping I could use it on any sled I was riding.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should be getting my suction cup mount for my Legend Cx today. I'm going to try it out in the UP this weekend. I'll let you know how it holds up. I'm guessing by the above replies that it will work fine. I, too, don't want to drill holes on the dash of my sled. I ordered the Garmin unit from a vendor on ebay. The suction cup mount seemed better for me since I can move it from car to car and use it in rental cars when I travel. And I was hoping I could use it on any sled I was riding.[/b]
Thanks. I am real interested in how the suction cup mounts perform on the sled, especially in the cold. If it works out I may order one next week!

·
Registered
679 Posts
when you have it on your sled i take the neck rope that it comes with and hook it trough my zipper on windshied bag it case the suction cup come free for some reason at least you not a gps or hook string to some thing

·
Registered
306 Posts
So....how'd the suction cup mount work on the sled??? I got one in my truck on the windsheild and that works great....never thought of trying on my sled's hood. If we had snow I'd maybe try it...but since we don't I'll have to wait for someone else to try it... Keep us in the loop of how it works.

Post some pics too...please...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I should be getting my suction cup mount for my Legend Cx today. I'm going to try it out in the UP this weekend. I'll let you know how it holds up. I'm guessing by the above replies that it will work fine. I, too, don't want to drill holes on the dash of my sled. I ordered the Garmin unit from a vendor on ebay. The suction cup mount seemed better for me since I can move it from car to car and use it in rental cars when I travel. And I was hoping I could use it on any sled I was riding.[/b]
How did you mount it to the sled? Did you buy the little pad to stick it to or just stick it to the hood?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Just got back midnight last night from my trip. Unfortunately, the mount did not arrive as promised and I didn't get to take it with me. The mount was in my mailbox when I got home. Someone on ebay owes me some money for priority shipping that didn't happen, but that's another story.

So, I tied it too my bar pad and it worked fine. It was 10F outside the whole weekend and I had no issues with the GPS at all. After riding about 50 miles with it on my handlebar I decided to put it in my snowpants pocket and it worked great there too! Except, with the joystick on top it would always say I was trying to navigate somewhere when I pulled it out of my pocket. And it marked about a dozen waypoints on its own too. But, it logged my course the whole way, including top speed (105 without trying), and miles traveled while in my pocket.

This gps was so slick with the trail maps built in, that eveytime we stopped everyone came to me and said "Ok Tony, where are we?"! We also did a lot of off trail riding and the topo maps I bought were an excellent choice for this.

A big "Thanks" goes out to rws for posting the UP trail maps.

As far as where to mount it on the sled, I'm going to just stick the suction cup to the lower portion of my Tach. The suction cup is only about 2" in diameter, and my tach is about 5", so with it mounted at the lower end of the gauge I can still see my rpm's just fine. I also will tie the lanyard to something in case the cup comes loose.

Will have pics tonight or tomorrow. We're supposed to get about 8" of snow tonight, so hopefully I can try it out tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Here's some pics of the suction cup mount on my sled. I would think that you could use this application on any sled with a tach. I tried several different locations, as you can see in the pics. I'm also planning on mounting a 12 volt outlet just to the right of the tach.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That looks good. Did you run the sled to see if it could be read at idle? I have ordered my suction mount as well. Here's hoping it works for this application! Thanks for all you help and input, it is appreciated.

SCM700

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Rode 20 miles tonight with the gps mounted as shown. Doesn't vibrate at all at idle, at least no more than it does in the car. The suction cup mount worked great. Was about 20F out and the trail was very rough. Lots of bumps, jitters, and a few small jumps. Never came loose. Since the lanyard that came with the gps was kind of long, I simply wrapped it around my hand guard as a safety measure.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
when you have it on your sled i take the neck rope that it comes with and hook it trough my zipper on windshied bag it case the suction cup come free for some reason at least you not a gps or hook string to some thing[/b]
This is a good plan. I will do the same. The suction cup mount may be the answer, can't wait until mine arrives. Hopefully before this weekend as I plan to get out for the first trip of the season. Now if I can only figure out how to wire it into my sled..............

·
Registered
393 Posts
I used the suction cup mount from Garmin for my 60CSx all weekend, never came off, but I hooked my lanyard to the handlebar bag just in case. I just stuck it on the glass of my odo/speedo and used the digi display on the side as a tach. I was beating rough trails and hitting jumps and it never came off. 100+ miles so far...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I used the suction cup mount from Garmin for my 60CSx all weekend, never came off, but I hooked my lanyard to the handlebar bag just in case. I just stuck it on the glass of my odo/speedo and used the digi display on the side as a tach. I was beating rough trails and hitting jumps and it never came off. 100+ miles so far...[/b]
Same here. I did find that at idle it does vibrate some, but if you just rev the sled up a little it smooths right out.

By the way, I'll be riding near my home town of Gaylord this weekend. Staying at my cousins in Wolverine. Bought the gps specifically for staying off trail as much as possible. Here's hoping the snow is good!

Tony

·
Registered
393 Posts
Same here. I did find that at idle it does vibrate some, but if you just rev the sled up a little it smooths right out.

By the way, I'll be riding near my home town of Gaylord this weekend. Staying at my cousins in Wolverine. Bought the gps specifically for staying off trail as much as possible. Here's hoping the snow is good!

Tony[/b]
Was the riding good? I've got 400 miles or so with my suction cup mount, now I only take the back way, GPS rules.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
2 hours before we were to head up plans got changed. But, we did get 20" of snow that Sunday at home!

As for the suction cup mount, I found one flaw. When I adjusted it when I moved it from the car to the sled, I forgot to fully tighten the adjustment knobs. When riding one of the adjustment knobs fell out! I can still use it, but that was a bummer when it fell out.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I finally got my suction cup mount. I tried it out on the weekend and am not impressed. I put it on the first morning, drove 3 miles hit some nasties and POP, there's my GPS in my lap :angry: Later in the day I re-attached it and it worked great. Left it attched to the sled all night and worked great all day Saturday. Sunday morning was very cold, the sleds were outside at the hotel, drove a mile and POP it's in my lap again! I'm not convinced this is a great set up. I'll try again locally to see if I can get it to stick. I may try to clean the hood with alcohol, where I'm going to attach the mount.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts