Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Current setup:
1" track (not stock) on a SRX 700.

I would like a little more hook-up and traction and can only afford one of the two:
-144 1.080" studs
or
-1.25" predator track

I do 80% of my riding on trails that never get icy.

I'm leaning toward the track...

What are some of your opinions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Current setup:

I would like a little more hook-up and traction and can only afford one of the two:
-144 1.080" studs
or
-1.25" predator track

Thanks![/b]

I just did the switch from 192 studs to a 1.25" ripsaw without studs last year and like the studless setup much better. Like you, I very rarely ride on icy trails. It hooks up great and you can really rip it through the corners too. :beerchug:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Go for the studs. You never know when they will save your ass from a nasty crash. It only takes one icy corner or trying to stop on a hill and you will be begging for some traction. Less work on the studs rather than the track swap as well.

·
Premium Member
9,814 Posts
Current setup:

-144 1.080" studs
or
-1.25" predator track

Thanks![/b]
i am a firm believer of studs .... not just needed for ice either .... try stopping on some smooth hardpack in a hurry without them, plus ridind hardpack they loosen the snow a bit to throw it into your coolers

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
if I only rode Canada no question I would go studless. Because I don't I did put 108 in my renegade, i'd never do more than that. Studs don't help your traction is soft snow so if your looking at hookup on typically Canaidan groomed trails the track without question is better.

My 08 will have an iceripper which I think is a great compromise for when I ride my local trails and tour in Canada.

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
I just did the switch from 192 studs to a 1.25" ripsaw without studs last year and like the studless setup much better.[/b]
Thats what I wanted to hear... my SXR has the stock track with 192, I hate it... cant wait to 1.25 Ripsaw that sled... :div20:
plus ridind hardpack they loosen the snow a bit to throw it into your coolers[/b]
Now there's a fringe benefit! :smilielol:

:beerchug:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Go for the studs. You never know when they will save your ass from a nasty crash. It only takes one icy corner or trying to stop on a hill and you will be begging for some traction. Less work on the studs rather than the track swap as well.[/b]

6 broken ribs and 1 cracked helmet because I didn't have studs, never again. Don't be a fool stud your tool!!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
what about an Ice Ripper? it has studs pre-installed

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
what about an Ice Ripper? it has studs pre-installed[/b]
If you wanna call them that... more like thumbtacks IMO... but probably better than nothing...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats what I wanted to hear... my SXR has the stock track with 192, I hate it... cant wait to 1.25 Ripsaw that sled... :div20:
Now there's a fringe benefit! :smilielol:

:beerchug:[/b]
yup...I think I'm leaning towards the 1.25" track too since ALL my riding is in Manitoba Canada.
Glad to hear the feedback from a studded person's opinion.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
I had a .91 Shockwave with 96 studs on my '01 600 XC and lemmie tell ya, I still couldnt stop fast even if my life depended on it.
I recently blew my track and Im going with a 1.25" Ripsaw with no studs.
I dont care how many studs you have, if you think you can stop fast in ANY conditions you are fooling yourself.
IMO, studs give people a false sense of security.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Have been riding since 1974 and never had a studded track.I currently have an 05 Yamaha Rage with the 1.25" track and love it. I can't describe how good it is. My last sled was a Ski Doo Grand Touring with a 1" track and when I ride that the rear end feels like it is all over the place. The other thing is I have never replaced a track. The Ski Doo has 6500 miles on it and is in great shape. Good luck with whatever you choose . Regards Combat

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Why can't you get the new track and stud the center belt only ?you can still corner and you have em if you need em on that icy corner that you don't see because a 1/2 inch of snow is covering it

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the reason I cannot get both is for two resons:
1) cost
2) in order to stud a 1.25" track on an SRX id need to get smaller drivers, regear, and extra protection...not worth the effort to me.

I think I'll end up going with the extra track....thanks for all your opinions!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I vote for the studs. They might save your ass in that case where you hit an ice patch. Great for dragging on a lake too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts