Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking about adding a few more studs to my sled. There's 102 on it now and that's just not enough. I have a standard F7 (1" lugs) so it has every third "window" closed on the outside. Stud Boy has a 136 pattern that calls for a stud in this window. It would mean that the stud would be in line with the slides though. Has anyone tried this or have any thoughts about it?

SeymourF7

·
Registered
179 Posts
SeymoreF7, I use the Redtail 1.25" studs in my 1" std. F7 na they work great. I also run 136 in it. I used this stud setup: 2-2-4 in a 'V' pattern, with the filled in windows studded from the center of the window varying the repeat in to the inside of the track. This works great. Just make sure you suck the heads of the studs into the track. Make sure the studs you buy don't have a thick head on them like the Woody's. Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
f7pilot,

why do you say not to use the woodys studs, specifically with regards to the head being to thick? never heard of this before. Who makes redtail studs?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Zrholic, the Woody's studs have a pretty thick head on the stud, you cann't seem to get the head sucked into the track far enough to flush or dimpled so the idler wheels don't ding them. That's my input. Goto www.snowmobilerider.com that's where I got my Redtail studs from, so far so good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
F7pilot, thats a great website, who are they and where are they located? It seems as though they have a lot of cool stuff to offer. Where di you find out about them?

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
:div20: No problems studding closed windows.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You will have no problem studding in the closed window. I have installed 170 and love it. I used the Woody Megabites. As far as Woody's heads being to thick to use in the closed window, I don't agree. I was also concerned about having studs on the rails and increased vibration but I have had none.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I used Woody's on mine but I have alum. Backers. heads pulled in just fine. Might not be able to with plastic backers. :beerchug:

·
Registered
71 Posts
170 1.25 studs and 800 miles on same hyfax and still good.if you wanna bite go with 170.dont worry about the windows if you can get 800 miles on hyfax thats good enough for me. :beerchug:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I got 1540 mile's on mine now in the closed window no proplem as of yet...except the stud's are wore down bad.... :banghead:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used 136 1.075 megabites on my '03, and 153 on my '04 F7. Had 5600 on the '03 and 4300 miles so far on the '04. I haven't had a problem with either as far as studs go or extra wear on slides.

Mike

·
Registered
520 Posts
Added the closed windows to Woodys 144 pattern to make 178 and seems to hook up way better. :div20:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts