Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I’m making the move off a Doo 850 Renegade spring ordered the 850 VR1 with the cobra track and I want to stud it. looking for recommendations. I had 96 up the middle gold diggers. Thinking about the stud star backers and the same number...any thoughts I never had a cobra track, also like the top end so don’t want too many picks. TIA

Neal

·
Registered
50 Posts
96 studs on a 850. You need more studs then that. I have 850 137. Stud pattern 4-2-4. Works great. But I'm very aggressive rider. Friend of mine is running 3-2-3 stud pattern up the middle. He liked it. But 96 isnt enough

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I will be running 2 per bar again. 1.45" minimum. Many people say it's not enough for the HP level. But I have run 2 per bar on 600's up to 330HP boosted turbo's. If they are sharp, have enough penetration they will work fine for trail riding, and I have have never thrown a stud. The max # I would run is average 3 per bar.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would highly recommend the star stud backers. They are quite a bit lighter as they are a single piece nut and aluminum. The other nice thing is they are very easy to install. Once threaded on you just set your driver torque and tighten. The other benefit is they provide a lot of additional traction due to their shape. I put these on my wife's Pro S 800 and they are great. Used on Cobra 1.35 Cobra track. Good luck!

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
14,709 Posts
I would highly recommend the star stud backers. They are quite a bit lighter as they are a single piece nut and aluminum. The other nice thing is they are very easy to install. Once threaded on you just set your driver torque and tighten. The other benefit is they provide a lot of additional traction due to their shape. I put these on my wife's Pro S 800 and they are great. Used on Cobra 1.35 Cobra track. Good luck!
I know this is a matter of opinion, but they are pretty pricey.

·
Registered
18 Thundercat / 21 850 SKS 146
147 Posts
I studded my old Arctic Cat Thundercat with 192 4 per bar all doubles with stud boy studs 1.50 power point along with the .75 super light pro backers on a 137x1.25 track. Hooked up very nice

also was about the same weight as 144 woods studs with aluminum nuts and backers

·
Administrator
20,835 Posts
FWIW - I ran 2-per on my 2018 Assault (800, not 850) and used the Performance Stud Stars. It worked great, minus one tear out and I'm 99% sure that was due to me installing my first one without using the soapy water.

2-per row is fine as long as you control the fun flipper

PS - yes, I agree the Performance Stud Stars are spendy, but they are really nice. Easy to install & functionally speaking they work well. You'll never bend/break them either.

·
Super Moderator
9,997 Posts
Depends on your likes, and dislikes?

I've run 96 on the 137's. Not enough for MY liking, but ridable. My wife likes 96.
The neat deal is you can start with 96, and always add more if you wish.

I like 3 per belt. 4 per is a little too much, for ME, for trail riding.

I do go 4 per, for racing.

·
Registered
2012 Polaris Assault 800
1,175 Posts
If you are simply looking for some bite when the trails get icy, then 120 to 144 up the middle is fine. If you want to hook up, then 144 to 192 up the middle and outsides. Up the middle, you can still slightly slide it through the turn......with them on the outside, you are on rails and don't slide. I prefer all the bite I can get and stud the outside. My son likes just the middle.....personal preferance.

·
14,709 Posts
96 studs on a 850. You need more studs then that. I have 850 137. Stud pattern 4-2-4. Works great. But I'm very aggressive rider. Friend of mine is running 3-2-3 stud pattern up the middle. He liked it. But 96 isnt enough
If you go on the low side of studding on 160+ hp, learn how to use the throttle wisely for the trail conditions you are riding on.

Reactions: vince

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have the same sled on order with the storm 1.5 track. Going to stud just like my switchback 144 up the middle with Woodys megabites double and singles. It hooked up great on the switchback.

·
Registered
2021 VR1 850, 18 Tiger 8000, 17 RS 6000, 16 ZR 6000, 12 F1100T, 11 EXT 800, 09 Z1 Turbo, 05 ZR 900
10,200 Posts
FWIW - I ran 2-per on my 2018 Assault (800, not 850) and used the Performance Stud Stars. It worked great, minus one tear out and I'm 99% sure that was due to me installing my first one without using the soapy water.

2-per row is fine as long as you control the fun flipper

PS - yes, I agree the Performance Stud Stars are spendy, but they are really nice. Easy to install & functionally speaking they work well. You'll never bend/break them either.
That's a slick backer, and it's really nice that don't need anything to hold the stud.

·
Administrator
20,835 Posts
That's a slick backer, and it's really nice that don't need anything to hold the stud.

They were spendy, but worth the money ... and no doubt, the easiest install I've ever had with studs and there's been a LOT of track studding over the years!! I highly recommend these to anyone.

·
14,709 Posts
I went 3 per bar with double and single backers and liked the balance of the sled. Ran 6" carbide that I sharpen when the edge is off.
Doug, do you use one of those v-notched wheels in a drill?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts