Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have done a search and came up with it seems like people like the 1.175 woodys megabite studs on the firecats. my question is how many. i ride mostly trails and occasionally lake but 90%trail. what number would be good? then if i buy the studs what are the backers or is there a difference between stainless steel or the plastic colored ones. is that all i would need? i have never stuuded a track, if you follow the template is it fairly easy? thanks,

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
i have done a search and came up with it seems like people like the 1.175 woodys megabite studs on the firecats. my question is how many. i ride mostly trails and occasionally lake but 90%trail. what number would be good? then if i buy the studs what are the backers or is there a difference between stainless steel or the plastic colored ones. is that all i would need? i have never stuuded a track, if you follow the template is it fairly easy? thanks,[/b]
Good choice with 1.175 megabites, they are great trail studs for the money.
I reccommend no less than 136. The number of studs no only determines how much traction you will gain, but equally as important is how well the studs will hold up. Understudding puts to much stress on the studs and as a result they wear, bend, break and can even pull through as a result. Use Woody's or Studboy aluminum double plates as part of your pattern and the singles should also be aluminum as well. I like round singles because the edges dont bend up,but square probably support the stud better. Woody's has a new triangle backer but havnt heard anything about it yet. I personally had bad luck with plastic backers, but Im sure you will here otherwise. Studboy has a real good 136 pattern and yes its easy if you follow it. Do not deviate unless you are familiar with the limitations of the Fcat chassis-no studs down the middle or outside belts......

·
Registered
2021 Polaris Matryx 850 Switchback Assault 146
2,714 Posts
I just went 102, and I think its just fine.......SkiDoo did plenty of testing on the Mach Z and they found 96 Studs work very well......

Too many studs=heavy and slower top end!!!!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
with 102 studs did you notice a difference in traction and hook up? i am not a big lake rider or racer and really only want to stop spinning on hard packed roads and help stopping on icy trails. i was told by people 102 would be helpful for what i am looking for. obviously 153 is better for overall traction but does 102 work? thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.