Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so yeah anyway, in the process of doing over the idler bearings and shocks / new track install / hyfax on my old edge rmk.

was backing out the front tourque arm skid bolt that bolts the skid to the tunnel.

Toolbox Automotive tire Bumper Set tool Automotive exterior
Plant Tire Tree Cloud Grass

trying to get out that bolt was irratating as shit so i looked up at the local hardware store and found an eletric impact gun , 8.5 amp , on sale for 70 bucks. picked up a set of impact sockets for about the same again.

i figured electric impacts were junk and i was skeptical but sure enough, cracked on her with that and backed it out like a breeze.

i then tried dissaembling all the idlers with it and man , what a comfort this tihng is.

obviously airs better, and if i was doing this for a living or something it would be that. but not having to buy a compressor etc, for banging around the shed, its the tits and i love this thing.

highly recommend for the do it yourselfer. worth its weight in gold imo.

so if your a non mechanic do it yourselfer guy who likes to mess with old iron and are skeptical on the electric impacrs like i was, dont be.there a great tool. very pleased.

Cheers, ZR800

Reactions: fitter002

·
Premium Member
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
soeedo key was just about to snap and speedo side bearings toast. just caught her in time .another couple miles she would have smacked off. never know what youll find when you start tearing these old steeds down.

rear idler bearings were toast.one in particular was nearly completely stuck. others pretty bad also. defnitely didnt help with all that drag.

still in the market for a good used rear track shock if anyones got one, 17' eye to eye.

Reactions: MuscleD

·
Registered
17 xcr 800 2/xcr800 2000
1,377 Posts
been doin the battery type, a little pricey, myself ,hate the cord following me ,,and yep power tools r great good luc on the skid fix , ps they will snap chit off just as easy

·
Premium Member
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
been doin the battery type, a little pricey, myself ,hate the cord following me ,,and yep power tools r great good luc on the skid fix , ps they will snap chit off just as easy

dont mind the cord.my sheds too dam small for that to matter.

going to use it for taking stuff out, less for putting back on, but noted bud.

·
Premium Member
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
said screw it, ordered up new rebuildable fox zero pro shocks for both skid shocks. sellers gonna valve it for my weight.

ordered a oem speedo side bearing , key , and other miscellanious stuff. now gotta order 2 new bearings for the inside rail idlers that i didnt account for (doh) and i should be good to go. ill go new front shocks next season.they seem ok for now. torsion springs are pretty new so thats great.

shes coming together.should be a decent sled this season with the clutching gearing carb jetting and setting , new track , shocks and a boss seat.

looks like ill be hanging on to this one awhile. xc rematch is on'

·
Registered
44,798 Posts
so yeah anyway, in the process of doing over the idler bearings and shocks / new track install / hyfax on my old edge rmk.

was backing out the front tourque arm skid bolt that bolts the skid to the tunnel.

View attachment 2122734 View attachment 2122733

trying to get out that bolt was irratating as shit so i looked up at the local hardware store and found an eletric impact gun , 8.5 amp , on sale for 70 bucks. picked up a set of impact sockets for about the same again.

i figured electric impacts were junk and i was skeptical but sure enough, cracked on her with that and backed it out like a breeze.

i then tried dissaembling all the idlers with it and man , what a comfort this tihng is.

obviously airs better, and if i was doing this for a living or something it would be that. but not having to buy a compressor etc, for banging around the shed, its the tits and i love this thing.

so if your a non mechanic do it yourselfer guy who likes to mess with old iron and are skeptical on the electric impacrs like i was, dont be.there a great tool. very pleased.

Cheers, ZR800
Had to get a laugh when you mentioned those electric impact guns. I was given an old 1/2'' speedway impact guns years ago. Its still sitting around somewhere in my garage. Except for it being nice and shiny new i couldn't bear to chuck it out. Truth is its useless not having enough torque for any job. I've got Milwaukee 18v cordless thats a joy to use. I don't think it weighs a 1/3 what that speedway does, and it has some balls.

·
Premium Member
39,180 Posts
I have a 20 Volt DeWalt.
Several years ago I purchased almost $6,000 worth of battery powered DeWalt tools, some are 60 Volt, was worth it, I use many of them almost every week.

·
Registered
44,798 Posts
I have a 20 Volt DeWalt.
Several years ago I purchased almost $6,000 worth of battery powered DeWalt tools, some are 60 Volt, was worth it, I use many of them almost every week.
I've had a 18v deWalt cordless drill for years that gets used whenever i need it....still working good. Got old 7 and 9 volt cordless makita drills too that still work, but replacing batteries is getting harder to find them that work well.

·
Premium Member
39,180 Posts
I've had a 18v deWalt cordless drill for years that gets used whenever i need it....still working good. Got old 7 and 9 volt cordless makita drills too that still work, but replacing batteries is getting harder to find them that work well.
The only 18 volt I have is an older Dewalt Hammer Drill, all the others are new within the last 3 years and are either 20 or 60 Volt.

·
Registered
22 VR1 850 129 and Mxz 600 etec
161 Posts

Cheers, ZR800
Thanks for posting ZR. Always wondered about those Crappy Tire guns. I see them in the flyer regularly, maybe grab one next time they're on sale.
(y)

·
Super Moderator
2016 1200 Renegade X
227 Posts
Thanks for posting ZR. Always wondered about those Crappy Tire guns. I see them in the flyer regularly, maybe grab one next time they're on sale.
(y)

They work well, I bought one for removing the lug nuts on our vehicle to change tires in the fall and spring. Like ZR, I've used it several times on the sled, mostly the skid bolts. When they go on sale they are well worth it.

·
Premium Member
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had to get a laugh when you mentioned those electric impact guns. I was given an old 1/2'' speedway impact guns years ago. Its still sitting around somewhere in my garage. Except for it being nice and shiny new i couldn't bear to chuck it out. Truth is its useless not having enough torque for any job. I've got Milwaukee 18v cordless thats a joy to use. I don't think it weighs a 1/3 what that speedway does, and it has some balls.
this guys 8.5 amp. a review said somewhere in the range of 450 ft/lbs for this one. plenty of rourque for sled shit and changing tires etc.

airs more like 1200lbs.balls for sure but almost too much for some stuff. I just couldnt bring myself to justify buying a big compressor and all that gear for the little bit of tinkering i do.

this at 70 bucks cad though, cannot go wrong bud. would buy it again and not hesitate. Im going to get lots of use out of it.

the regular 249 bucks price, eh, id look for a dewalt or something , but at this price of 70 its probably best bang for the buck tool i own.

Reactions: too slow

·
Premium Member
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a 20 Volt DeWalt.
i have a cordless 20 volt dewalt regular drill.its great. my torque wrench , mini grinder etc all dewalt.I llike there products.

only reason i went with this canadian version of harbour freight was the price and i wasnt sold on any electric impacts because i figured they just wouldn't have the guts required and wasting 70 bucks be bad enough, but its adequate for sure.

·
Premium Member
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
(y)
wont regret it buddy.i was far from sold on em too, but there great.atleast for what im at.(sleds,quad, car tires etc)

·
Premium Member
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They work well, I bought one for removing the lug nuts on our vehicle to change tires in the fall and spring. Like ZR, I've used it several times on the sled, mostly the skid bolts. When they go on sale they are well worth it.
yessir. i mean a good socket /wrachet set is 3 times the cost i paid for this gun.

its a little weighty and the size could be smaller, but shit for what it cost and what you can do with it, i feel its one of the best purchases ive made.

Reactions: Smurfy71

·
Premium Member
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
also , this 1.352 cobra 144 feels featherweight next to the oem rmk track now that there both off the sled and can lift em back to back. this with the other adjustents to gear ratio and all the other things (tps adjustment, carbs (too rich , drowning on idle/low speed) carbon tech reeds vs the old worn out and busted up oem petals,fresh springs in both clutches, therough cleaning , new ves springs/bellows/gaskets , putting in a delrin under the spring cup (wasnt shifting out last year , almost 3/4s of an inch marker on primary after pulls) calibrated tach to get my rpms dialed in correctly,and replacing all these badly worn bearings in the skid, i feel im in for a few mph here for sure.also since the rmk track was 2 inch at the time of the races with that xc 6.

last years best was 83 mph on 1000.im hoping more for 90ish hopefully after all this and a dissappointed buddy lol.

for ratio , im trying 1.9 to 1 first and if its running out of gear ill go to 1.8.

the xc my friend has is my old one, and is running 1.8

·
Premium Member
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Premium Member
20,606 Posts
I have a 30+!year old corded Makita “industrial series” 1/2” impact, that I’ll never throw away, it’s been great, and a 20-25 year old IR air impact….that I always thought was cool….until I bought the Milwaukee 1/2” posted above. Was so impressed by it, that I bought the 1/4” and 3/8 versions too. I use the 3/8 for everything. Rotated tires on wife’s suv last night. It laughs at 85ft lb lug nuts. Actually the 1/4” driver will take a lug nut down to about 120 ft lbs (!!!!). Modern stuff is so light and efficient. I’d say $70 sounds like a good investment for what you need it to do.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts

Cheers, ZR800
i've heard of folks working "in the field" before. glad it worked out. my cordless impact is an handsaver. even if it can't break it loose, it spins them out

1 - 20 of 59 Posts