Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaned both exhaust valves on my sled (04 pro x 600), noticed one of the bolts came out weird. Didn’t think much of it cleaned them, rebuilt 1, and put back on. Made sure not to overtighten. Sled was running mint. All the sudden heard a fluttering noise. Shut it off and opened hood to find that the valve flew back and was just hanging in there by the guilotine. I see other people have done hellicoil kits. Was wondering what size tap/drill bit/hellicoil I should use? Seems like it could use longer bolts or studs? Seems to be kind of a stupid design by Polaris.

·
Registered
43,072 Posts
Cleaned both exhaust valves on my sled (04 pro x 600), noticed one of the bolts came out weird. Didn’t think much of it cleaned them, rebuilt 1, and put back on. Made sure not to overtighten. Sled was running mint. All the sudden heard a fluttering noise. Shut it off and opened hood to find that the valve flew back and was just hanging in there by the guilotine. I see other people have done hellicoil kits. Was wondering what size tap/drill bit/hellicoil I should use? Seems like it could use longer bolts or studs? Seems to be kind of a stupid design by Polaris.

·
Registered
2014 Polaris Indy 800 XC / 2005 Polaris Indy 800 XCSp
2,954 Posts
Ooh not good, I don't think you can go to 5/16. I think you're going to have to helicoil that.

·
Registered
2003 Edge X 700
131 Posts
I bought my 2003 700 with one bigger bolt due to stripped threads. I'm sure it is a 5/16" bolt, it definitely isn't a 1/4" bolt.
I've had the sled for 5 or 6 years, haven't had any issues with it

·
Registered
2014 Polaris Indy 800 XC / 2005 Polaris Indy 800 XCSp
2,954 Posts
Okay thank you looks like I’ll be going with helicoil, what size helicoil should I use?
Okay thank you looks like I’ll be going with helicoil, what size helicoil should I use?
[/QUO

Liberty motor so it is a 1/4 x 28. But take the mounting bolt to a parts house and they will match it for you and give you the correct helicoil kit.
5/16 will work but I ld try to keep it down with the helicoil kit. As the last resort I would do 5/16. I know it's a liberty motor and it should be American but double check, it may be metric on Ves mounting bolts?

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 800 129", 2019 Indy 850 129", 2011 IQ Turbo 121"
2,826 Posts
The original bolts I believe are M6 x 1.0. There is plenty of thread engagement with the correct bolts, so no need for something longer. If you do a helicoil or similar thread insert, the kit will tell you what you need to do for hole prep, etc.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Helicoils are garbage. Look into Timeserts. The kit is expensive at first, but the results are far far better. Instead of a little spring that does not like to be used over and over, you get a actual thread replacement that will be stronger than the aluminum.

·
Registered
43,072 Posts
I didn't think a hell coil was the best idea either reason for a fast repair from the metric oem bolt to the next sae bolt. Maybe use e-z lok insert kits for something as this. Its worked for me in other similar cases.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I did a helicoil on mine, haven't had any problems with it. Just need to make sure threads are clean when reinstalling bolt. Just go slow when reinstalling. I only had 1 that was stripped. I didn't do it it was like that when I went to clean VES's. It was one of the shorter ones (2 long and 2 short). I don't think it was causing an issue seeing how I didn't even know it was stripped until I went to clean them. Old owner apparently wanted to "load" it with locktite and reinstall it. Figured since i was there may as well take 10 minutes and fix it. Been 2 years and helicoil still holds good. I did loctite the coil in when I did it. Not a lot of torque on these bolts so your coil should hold just fine. I do not loctite the bolt when I re-install, not sure I want to put the extra pressure on helicoil when I am removing the bolt....

·
Registered
2018 xcr 600
161 Posts
Try jb weld just mix it up and thread it in give it some Time to set up then back out the bolt and let it harden done this a couple time on ves valves o and u don’t need to crank them down that tight

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did the hellicoil on both, went well. used 6m-1.0 kit that I picked up at advance auto. drilled with 1/4 bit, tapped, inserted coil, and stuck the valve back on. Seems like it is going to hold. If they do not hold I will go ahead and try the other recommend ways. Was 30$ for the kit. If anyone else is doing this make sure you measure the hole and use tape on your drill bit so you don’t go too deep. Appreciate the help everyone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts