Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This issue actually started last season, over the summer I had installed a Ripsaw track and a 8" wheel kit on my 03 ProX 700. Well I like to run my tracks pretty loose, and after several hundred miles (basically after the new track broke in) I noticed a clunking sound on deacceleration. At first I thought it was ice or something in the tunnel. After some investigation it looks like the track was actually climbing up on the drivers. Like they were out of synch or something. Well I found a half assed fix was to just run the track tight, to tight for my liking... almost very hard to turn by hand.
So today I'm out working on the sled and since there is no snow I figure I should address this issue again. Has anyone seen anything like this ? It's like it's ratcheting but only on deacceleration. I hate running the track so tight, it's hard on bearings and sucks up the HP.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
did you long track it also? My long track prox needs to have about 1 1/2" of droop to keep it from jumping. I would also check the angle that the track comes off the drivers and on to the front of the rails. Mine looks better if I run it with the limit straps pulled in one hole tighter then stock, the tips of the rails dont touch the track . loose is good to a point but to loose it will wipe out your drivers fast if its really loose.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it's still a 121" , I will check how the track comes off the drivers to the rails. And I have to run the track so tight there is no droop.

If I was going to guess anything it almost seems like the drive axle is not inline with the track/suspension. What I tried doing is finding the tightest spot in the track then loosening the axle/chaincase/ suspension and kind of banged stuff around with a rubber mallet thinking if anything was out of line it would move. But that didn't help. Even though there is no snow I really don't want to take the track and suspension out to check if the axle is inline. Although if I did that I can just change to the Wahl drivers and the problem would be gone.

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
Did you measure the pitch, distance between to drive lugs. Should be 2.52. Maybe its a 3'' pitch.

Thats a good one, I run my tracks loose also, I have had it ratchet on deceleration, but at the same time on acceleration also.

Are the upper front torque arm bushings blown out?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It can't be normal, I can definitly see the problem happening when i roll the track over by hand. If your looking where the track and driver meet for instance, you can see the driver against the "front" lug on the track and as I rotate the track you can see the driver start to hit further and further away from the lug til the "rear" lug tries to climb over the lug. Kind of like they are out of time. I haven't check to see if I have the right pitch yet. I will do that tommorrow, although it would seem like if the pitch was off the problem would happen on all three drivers not just the one. Since there isn't any snow in my area and won't be for a while I might just end up adding the Wahl anti ratcheting drivers. I have to keep the track so tight there is absolutly zero droop, it's actually got tention, and it's hard to roll over by hand.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Was it a 1.5 " ripsaw? I wonder then could the lugs be binding on cooling strips? I have heard of travel issues and track tightening when 8" rear wheels are used on a 121 skid, don't think complaints were like yours though.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
8" rear wheels on a 121" suspension that is calibrated for 6.375 ones will give you issues of track tension under compression.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I checked the pitch , it is correct. Got the suspension out , axle out . Checked axle to tunnel alignment it is good.
The only thing that might be off is the placement of the drive cogs, they might be out of alignment just slightly.
Or the 8" wheel thing, although I don't under stand why ? I think the Edge suspension uses a larger diameter rear wheel than the ProX.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
I have a 136 studded 1.25" ripsaw track on my prox , it has stock (3) drivers and the stock 6.xx rear axal wheels . I have never felt it skip over under power or brakeing. If you dont have a track thats cliped every window I dont think you can use extraverted drivers. 8" wheels dont have that big of benifit that I would go to replacing the drivers , I would ditch the wheels and run the stocker first , the other thing is if you dont have the track loose your skid frame is binding as its almost bottomed out. I would take a good look at your stock drivers for wear and then check for broken parts in the skid ,is it poss that something didnt get put in right when you had the skid out? are you useing the lower mounting point on the rear TQ arm?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Figured the problem out. I did some research and found out the track I bought was used on the newer Arctic Cats, no big deal right.....well the specific one was the T660 and that track has something called "quiet drive" which uses a different driver than what I have. So switching over to the Wahls "anti ratcheting" drivers will fix the problem.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Figured the problem out. I did some research and found out the track I bought was used on the newer Arctic Cats, no big deal right.....well the specific one was the T660 and that track has something called "quiet drive" which uses a different driver than what I have. So switching over to the Wahls "anti ratcheting" drivers will fix the problem.[/b]

I am having the excact same problem. I went out and checked the track nuber (2602-002) Arctic Cat part # on my Pro X. It's binding on deccelartation just as so described. piss me off.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Figured the problem out. I did some research and found out the track I bought was used on the newer Arctic Cats, no big deal right.....well the specific one was the T660 and that track has something called "quiet drive" which uses a different driver than what I have. So switching over to the Wahls "anti ratcheting" drivers will fix the problem.[/b]

I will have to take a look at my setup. I just purchased a track and I think it may have the quite drive on it. I haven't recieved it yet but it is an artic cat track. So I will have to take a look at my drivers to see if this is a problem. I hope it isn't a problem. I am glad I read this thread before I started the install. I'll post any thing I find out.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
man that sux..700pro-xrider I would advise calling Wahl on that; it might not be the correct fix and then you spent all that time on getting those drivers in there for nothing. Just thinking out loud...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.