Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sled has been running great so far this season, no problems. Was going to go riding this weekend, so in anticipation of the -15 weather I raised the needle 1 notch. This may be unrelated to the problem, but it started having issues soon after, and it's the only thing I have tinkered with this season.

Now, once I hit the trail, within 100 yards it starts to act like it's running on 2 cylinders. I pull over, checked to see which jug wasn't working right (pulled a wire while running) and went ahead and swapped out the offending spark plug. Restart it, runs fine for a little bit, then craps again. First I replaced the PTO side, then it was the middle plug. The plugs actually look OK, but it will not run again unless I do replace the plug. Letting it sit for a while does not magically bring it back to life.

I am going to put the needles back on the middle clip postion today, try it again. This thing has a tempa-flow on it too, I'm hoping it maybe acts a little strange if it gets too much fuel, or maybe can't figure out what to do....or maybe it just plain don't like cold weather and is going on strike or something.

Compression is 120 across the board...Flannery porting and Hotseat low elevation heads.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Sled has been running great so far this season, no problems. Was going to go riding this weekend, so in anticipation of the -15 weather I raised the needle 1 notch. This may be unrelated to the problem, but it started having issues soon after, and it's the only thing I have tinkered with this season.

Now, once I hit the trail, within 100 yards it starts to act like it's running on 2 cylinders. I pull over, checked to see which jug wasn't working right (pulled a wire while running) and went ahead and swapped out the offending spark plug. Restart it, runs fine for a little bit, then craps again. First I replaced the PTO side, then it was the middle plug. The plugs actually look OK, but it will not run again unless I do replace the plug. Letting it sit for a while does not magically bring it back to life.

I am going to put the needles back on the middle clip postion today, try it again. This thing has a tempa-flow on it too, I'm hoping it maybe acts a little strange if it gets too much fuel, or maybe can't figure out what to do....or maybe it just plain don't like cold weather and is going on strike or something.

Compression is 120 across the board...Flannery porting and Hotseat low elevation heads.[/b]

I had a stator go bad, it would launch hard, then slowly just kinda whimp out and drop rpms. bring it back to idle. all 3 were firing and all temps were equal. nail the gas and the pto side would climp like the others up to 700 degrees and then start falling back down. new stator and it was fixed.

·
Premium Member
39,132 Posts

Compression is 120 across the board...Flannery porting and Hotseat low elevation heads.[/b]
Although mine is ported differently than yours, with the clip in the same position it acts up a little also at sustained trail speeds, it doesn't need the plugs replaced however, but "burbbles" slightly. Also why the low altitude heads? My compression with cut stock heads is 135+. Krazyzx9's ported, piped XCR 800 sled runs better after he tossed those heads and went with stock ones I cut, it's crisper and snappier off the line.

Don

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
Did you make sure the the little lever that holds the needle down is over the snap ring and little allen head screw tight?

I forgot this once while in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you make sure the the little lever that holds the needle down is over the snap ring and little allen head screw tight?

I forgot this once while in a hurry.[/b]
Yep...made sure I did that right. It has the HSP heads recommended by Flannery, think they are 11.8 to one, or something like that.

Stator, huh. Damn, that would be strange. The stator in the wife's XLT just went out last week. What are the chances that you get 2 stators in 1 week?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just throwing this out but make sure your running champion spark plugs. My 94 storm was really fussy with the NGK's.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
18,487 Posts
Ran BR9ES all last season, never even went thru 1 plug.

Right now I am leaning towards stator.[/b]
You should never have to raise the needle beyond the number 3 (center) position unless you've bored the carbs or changed the needle jets.

I just rode my own stock ported and stock piped XCR in zero temps at 1000 deg F on EGTs at 5500 rpm. BIL was about the same with a Flannery ported HSP headed XCR 800. Both of us in center position. I also had a tempa Flow hooked up. Very snappy and FAST with 400 mains. BIL had 420s, 430 in center.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
*UPDATE*

A few weeks ago I took the sled to the dealer, assuming it was a stator problem.....don't have the tools-skilz to fix a problem like that. First off, the dealer calls me and is not too sure about the "fancy plumbing" under the hood, that being the tempa-flow. Anyway, the tech cleans out the carbs, and puts it back together and all is well.

So, I ride it for about 70 miles or so in 10-25 degree temps the following weekend, runs perfect. I take the sled up to Crane Lake just this last weekend, and Friday it runs perfect at about 25 degrees. Saturday's ride was colder, and I also noticed I was not able to pull any more than 7800 RPM's. Runs great anywhere up to 3/4 throttle. Had the same thing happen last season, cleaned the valves and all is good, so I assume all it needs is a good valve cleaning. The day is coming to a close, and I come up off the lake, hit a small bump and do the usual wheelie off the bump ( right in front of the webcam, lol ), and park the sled.

Now here is where it gets weird. The temp drops about 25 degrees in the few hours the sled sat. Went to load them up in the trailer, and the thing runs like shit, just like it did when I thought it had a stator problem. It barely made it up the ramp and into the trailer.

So now I am seeing the same symptoms, and the common thread seems to be very cold temps....the problem developes when it gets to be around -15 or colder. This brings me back to the tempa-flow. What kind of problems do people see with these things when they fart? It sure seems like outside temp has something to do with my problems.

·
Premium Member
18,487 Posts
*UPDATE*

A few weeks ago I took the sled to the dealer, assuming it was a stator problem.....don't have the tools-skilz to fix a problem like that. First off, the dealer calls me and is not too sure about the "fancy plumbing" under the hood, that being the tempa-flow. Anyway, the tech cleans out the carbs, and puts it back together and all is well.

So, I ride it for about 70 miles or so in 10-25 degree temps the following weekend, runs perfect. I take the sled up to Crane Lake just this last weekend, and Friday it runs perfect at about 25 degrees. Saturday's ride was colder, and I also noticed I was not able to pull any more than 7800 RPM's. Runs great anywhere up to 3/4 throttle. Had the same thing happen last season, cleaned the valves and all is good, so I assume all it needs is a good valve cleaning. The day is coming to a close, and I come up off the lake, hit a small bump and do the usual wheelie off the bump ( right in front of the webcam, lol ), and park the sled.

Now here is where it gets weird. The temp drops about 25 degrees in the few hours the sled sat. Went to load them up in the trailer, and the thing runs like shit, just like it did when I thought it had a stator problem. It barely made it up the ramp and into the trailer.

So now I am seeing the same symptoms, and the common thread seems to be very cold temps....the problem developes when it gets to be around -15 or colder. This brings me back to the tempa-flow. What kind of problems do people see with these things when they fart? It sure seems like outside temp has something to do with my problems.[/b]
Did the tech put your needles back where they belong in the center? If not, then what is probably happening is that the TF is adjusting to the much colder conditions and over richening the needles again. That will be $200 please.
Probably what the dealer charged you for a non-fix. Personally, I've never seen a stator fail on any XCR 800s and I know of dozens of them being ridden constantly. I know some have (or at least think so).

·
Registered
80 Posts
i am having the same issues with my 99 xcr8 except mine stock and it keeps shutting down either the pto or mag side, if i switch the plugs it runs great for a bit, then ive got to play with it to even get it to 7800rpm ive also been told stator and fuel pump... but im leaning towards stator.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Should edit that post...it was NOT the stator that fixed the original problem, it was the "carb cleanout" the dealer did. If it's carb related, and tempo related, I am really leaning towards the tempa flow being defective.

·
Registered
17,181 Posts
Then I'd try unplugging the T/F, and try some runs without it.
(I think you can just put the vent hoses back on the air box barbs, letting the rest be attached , or do you also need to plug the nipple in the carb top? )

·
Registered
558 Posts
I was having a similar problem. Seemed like it was on two cylinders but all pipes were hot. Changed plugs ran fine for a bit and started again. Put an old set of plugs in ran great. I figured it out to be a bad batch of plugs. I usually buy a box when I get a deal, I tried 2 more out of the same box in another sled it too didn't run good. They were the NGK BPR9ES.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Then I'd try unplugging the T/F, and try some runs without it.
(I think you can just put the vent hoses back on the air box barbs, letting the rest be attached , or do you also need to plug the nipple in the carb top? )[/b]
Yep, I'm going to run without it for a while. The previous owner plugged the nipples on the airbox with some RTV, it will be fun cleaning those suckers out.

Bad plugs, huh? wow.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yeah I know what everyone is thinking I should be running champions. Turns out Polaris has a service bulletin on the dragons to scrap the champions and run the BPR's. I have done this all along. Made a big difference in my fusion, gapping is key.

·
Premium Member
18,487 Posts
I guess I'm missing something here. You had no problems until you lifted the needles. Don told you his ran burbly with needles in 4th position. I told you that even Polaris doesn't recommend lifting needles past #3 position. DID YOU PUT THE NEEDLES BACK IN THE #3 POSITION? How the hell does a dirty carb cause rich mixtures? That's what you said fixed it by the dealer. My guess is that it was due to wrong needle setting all along.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess I'm missing something here. You had no problems until you lifted the needles. Don told you his ran burbly with needles in 4th position. I told you that even Polaris doesn't recommend lifting needles past #3 position. DID YOU PUT THE NEEDLES BACK IN THE #3 POSITION? How the hell does a dirty carb cause rich mixtures? That's what you said fixed it by the dealer. My guess is that it was due to wrong needle setting all along.[/b]
In anticipation of riding in extremely cold weather I moved the clip position down one notch, raising the needles. When it started to run like crap I put them back in the middle, replaced the spark plugs, but it did not help. The dealer told me the only thing they did to get it running right was cleanout out the carbs and replaced the spark plugs. When I got it back from the dealer it ran fine, for over 200 miles on 2 separate warm weather rides, but what APPEARS to be the same problem came back as soon as the temp dropped below about 10 below zero. It seems to me there is something that is temperature sensitive. It's possible that the dealer carb-cleaning did not actually fix the problem, it could have been the return of warmer weather. I just don't know.

By the weekend the temps here are supposed to recover. I'm going to pull it off the trailer, replace the plugs, and see what I get. If it runs fine there's definately some "lack of thermal" issue going on.

·
Premium Member
39,132 Posts
I have my doubts your dealer ever touched your carbs unless you saw them actually clean them, then as Phil said dirty carbs won't cause a rich condition, plugged or dirty jets will lean it out.

Don

·
Premium Member
18,487 Posts
In anticipation of riding in extremely cold weather I moved the clip position down one notch, raising the needles. When it started to run like crap I put them back in the middle, replaced the spark plugs, but it did not help. The dealer told me the only thing they did to get it running right was cleanout out the carbs and replaced the spark plugs. When I got it back from the dealer it ran fine, for over 200 miles on 2 separate warm weather rides, but what APPEARS to be the same problem came back as soon as the temp dropped below about 10 below zero. It seems to me there is something that is temperature sensitive. It's possible that the dealer carb-cleaning did not actually fix the problem, it could have been the return of warmer weather. I just don't know.

By the weekend the temps here are supposed to recover. I'm going to pull it off the trailer, replace the plugs, and see what I get. If it runs fine there's definately some "lack of thermal" issue going on.[/b]
Sorry, I missed the part about you returning the needles to the center position 12 posts ago. Now, I tend to agree with you that the Tempa Flow has a problem. It may have happened when you did the big launch off that bump in front of the trail cam.

A friend of mine (Firechicken) had a similar thing happen when trying to drag race/speed run his Tempa Flow equipped XCR 800 at Lakes of the North last year. It was too bumpy. His sled wouldn't run right aparently due to getting fuel slosh into the TF. Holtzman talks about this problem in his instructions. He sells special drain checks to eliminate it. I'd disconnect it as previously suggested and try it again. If fuel gets into the vent hoses, they can cause blockage and flooding to occur. Temps may have an impact on this. When the dealer pulled the carbs, he may have inadvertently drained the vents without knowing the problem existed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts