Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Properly studded cobra with correct amount of penetration will hold it's own against a 1.5 storm in 1000'. I know because I have 2 polaris 850's. One with a storm and one with a cobra. I also have swapped on a 1" hacksaw and tested it against the storm. This on hard pack....obviously the looser the snow, the better the storm does.

you obviously have this porta tree at your disposal and use it all the time for testing...because you mention it in every response. I really hope to see some vids of your comparisons..showing the porta tree results. Swapping both clutches takes 2 mins on the lake. could show stock baseline, your kits, and the miraculously fast pb80, all on the same sled, same day, same conditions.
It all depends on conditions when comparing tracks. It’s hard to beat a properly studded 1” track and when I say properly studded I mean way more penetration then what the average guy does.
Rick has been talking porta trees and videos for years and we see nothing. I’m sure it will continue that way. He does like to bad mouth the Dragy any chance he gets even though it’s extremely accurate.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
These inquiries cant be properly answered without details like....ground surface/studs vs not/rider weight/conditions etc

That said...the fact you are concerned about top end numbers are already suggesting neither track is ideal for you.

Simple answer is top end speed is affected greatly by the wind tunnel effect ....theres a direct relationship between lug height and top end speed and most of it is from the drag of pushing the taller lugs thru the tunnel ....once you get above 75mph or so this effect is exponential....anything over 1in tracks start to suffer...bigger the lug the worse it is
next issues are track weight and rolling resistance...both on the ground and making the bends around drivers/rear idlers...this issue also affects the sleds ability to pull its gearing and clutching

Actual speed numbers for comparo wont be all that accurate as everyones input will be from drastically different conditions and derived measurements...speedo/gps/radar etc.

Storm will be quicker but slower

·
Vendor
11,295 Posts
It all depends on conditions when comparing tracks. It’s hard to beat a properly studded 1” track and when I say properly studded I mean way more penetration then what the average guy does.
Rick has been talking porta trees and videos for years and we see nothing. I’m sure it will continue that way. He does like to bad mouth the Dragy any chance he gets even though it’s extremely accurate.
it takes time to set this up. we have so much testing to do and not enough help. and even if we posted this shit it will get torn apart by the hero's on here. it is shared between us a pro drag race team that has set some records, that stand to his day. not key board racers. these guys think the draggy isn't always right? it doesn't always work. even levi lavalle had trouble in Quebec with it. it was a full 2 seconds behind? when your life or getting hurt depends on something being dead on. it's not the draggy.

·
Vendor
11,295 Posts
we try to post stuff that the average trail rider can use. not some ice drag racers with a 1" track full of triggers. we test stuff real world in varying conditions. trail performance is what we do. you know in snow that most ride in. the op asked a question about tracks and speed. didn't see studs mentioned any where here? i read tracks on a 850 with stock gearing? i'am i missing something?

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
If people don't think the wind tunnel effect is real, I've got one response...... F7 lol
It’s amazing how much air is pushed with a Cobra track spun on a track stand vs a speed track.
And there’s more to it then just lug height. Width, durometer, lug profile, amount of lugs and pitch all play a part.
it takes time to set this up. we have so much testing to do and not enough help. and even if we posted this shit it will get torn apart by the hero's on here. it is shared between us a pro drag race team that has set some records, that stand to his day. not key board racers. these guys think the draggy isn't always right? it doesn't always work. even levi lavalle had trouble in Quebec with it. it was a full 2 seconds behind? when your life or getting hurt depends on something being dead on. it's not the draggy.
When used correctly it’s always extremely accurate and has better data then a porta tree. Are you sure you even know what a Dragy is? How does anyones life depend on it?
Well tell the Snow Outlaws guys they are just keyboard racers because they use Dragy’s.

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 850
1,025 Posts
Not 100% answering the question asked but here is my experience:
Had the storm 1.5 on my 99 Xc 850. 2 studs per bar. Loved the hook up and cornering. Felt it lacked a little too speed, but that represented less than 1% of my riding time. Always felt like I was glued to the trail. Very confidence inspiring.
Had the 1.25 IR on my 20 XCR 850. Liked the top end. Did not feel like it was ever hooked up. Always felt like the track was slipping under me.
I wish the 1.5 was an option on the XCR.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
7,192 Posts
Just an FYI there is no Cobra 1.325" lugged track, Camso calls it a 1.352" track.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
we try to post stuff that the average trail rider can use. not some ice drag racers with a 1" track full of triggers. we test stuff real world in varying conditions. trail performance is what we do. you know in snow that most ride in. the op asked a question about tracks and speed. didn't see studs mentioned any where here? i read tracks on a 850 with stock gearing? i'am i missing something?
anyone interested in snowmobile "fast trail, or grudge racing buddies" performance is going to have studs.....

my comparison between the storm 1.5 and cobra, and hacksaw ALL studded....and all with maximum penetration...and I trail ride somewhere 3500-5000 miles a season.

·
Vendor
11,295 Posts
It’s amazing how much air is pushed with a Cobra track spun on a track stand vs a speed track.
And there’s more to it then just lug height. Width, durometer, lug profile, amount of lugs and pitch all play a part.

When used correctly it’s always extremely accurate and has better data then a porta tree. Are you sure you even know what a Dragy is? How does anyones life depend on it?
Well tell the Snow Outlaws guys they are just keyboard racers because they use Dragy’s.
yes i know what one is. i have one. the cat team has one you down load the apt to your smart phone. levi doing the loop in Quebec. had to goa certain speed or you could get hurt. the draggy was off 2 full seconds. they went old school with a stop watch. needless to say a lot don't trust it. funny same day two different ones read different? from dragy was it cloudy? mountains where you were? full moon? were you anywhere near power lines? that really gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. no wonder some are claiming stupid speed? like your brother. 121 mph and 21 mpg. on a stock motor sled? yeah right. and over 100 in 660' on snow, like you. yeah right. no wonder you like them.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
yes i know what one is. i have one. the cat team has one you down load the apt to your smart phone. levi doing the loop in Quebec. had to goa certain speed or you could get hurt. the draggy was off 2 full seconds. they went old school with a stop watch. needless to say a lot don't trust it. funny same day two different ones read different? from dragy was it cloudy? mountains where you were? full moon? were you anywhere near power lines? that really gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. no wonder some are claiming stupid speed? like your brother. 121 mph and 21 mpg. on a stock motor sled? yeah right. and over 100 in 660' on snow, like you. yeah right. no wonder you like them.
You don’t have a Dragy, just like the Boost you said you have. Quit lying. Dragy’s aren’t for doing loops and you don’t have a clue.

Phil’s 121 mph came from his speedo.

I never said I went over 100 in 660ft on snow. I posted the video of the run, go watch again.
I also tested my dragy at a NHRA drag strip on a cloudy day, it’s basically dead on. So when I post dragy numbers they are accurate. Your issue is that you’re slow and you would never complete against me.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
You don’t have a Dragy, just like the Boost you said you have. Quit lying. Dragy’s aren’t for doing loops and you don’t have a clue.

Phil’s 121 mph came from his speedo.

I never said I went over 100 in 660ft on snow. I posted the video of the run, go watch again.
I also tested my dragy at a NHRA drag strip on a cloudy day, it’s basically dead on. So when I post dragy numbers they are accurate. Your issue is that you’re slow and you would never complete against me.
Get em Stormy, I use a dragy, it’s spot on

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Rick. Did Happy Hour start early ? Sheesh.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
7,192 Posts
I like my cobra but they are different from xcr to xc. I have xcr version
Of course they are, more lugs on the XCR with 2.52" track pitch compared to the XC and VR1 with 2.86" track pitch

Reactions: Axys180
21 - 40 of 70 Posts