Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Again not exactly but on a 650 the storm is 6-10 mph slower top end on the lake vs the cobra. Loose snow I like the storm groomed hard pack the cobra, ideally if I could get the ripsaw2 as a factory track I’d take that one.
my vr1 650 137 1.5 was right around 100-101 (speedo) on a hard packed road.

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
2,984 Posts
Don't know what the Top End difference would be but I know in all the area's of daily riding that mean the most to me I'd choose the Storm over the 1.352 Cobra every time.
I'd agree with the description of the Storm track in comparison to the Cobra. It will get you there faster, stop quicker and ensure optimal handling better than it's predecessors the Cobra and Ripsaw.
If Top Speed is your main big concern go with the lightest track. That's the Cobra.

·
Premium Member
23 650 Adventure, 22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
4,148 Posts
Agreed storm track is slower, but I like it everywhere on trail and off. Ive been on all lengths of both tracks. My 650 which is pretty much just a trail sled gets a studded cobra. My Assaults get a 1.5 storm, 1.6 cobra or this year I'm going with the 2" 146.

·
Premium Member
23 650 Adventure, 22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
4,148 Posts
my vr1 650 137 1.5 was right around 100-101 (speedo) on a hard packed road.
Interesting you say that. My 650 137 cobra with 96 studs topped out at 99-100 on plowed road. I think that's all they got.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't know what the Top End difference would be but I know in all the area's of daily riding that mean the most to me I'd choose the Storm over the 1.352 Cobra every time.
I'd agree with the description of the Storm track in comparison to the Cobra. It will get you there faster, stop quicker and ensure optimal handling better than it's predecessors the Cobra and Ripsaw.
If Top Speed is your main big concern go with the lightest track. That's the Cobra.
Did I get it right that Storm is the best option? Because I'm a little confused.

·
Registered
2023 VR1 850 Sunset Red/Black (Snowchecked); 2021 Matryx XC 650 Black/Gray/Red
60 Posts
The Stock gear ratios and estimated top speeds in this link -

·
Vendor
11,284 Posts
storm track will destroy the cobra out of the hole on hard packed. and loose snow as well. the cobra lugs are way softer and want to lay over. speed yes the cobra is faster not quicker. been tested and proven many times. on a porta tree to 1000' not some GPS that's up to 2 seconds behind.

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
2,984 Posts
Did I get it right that Storm is the best option? Because I'm a little confused.
Sorry POKITREN if my words were confusing.
What my shared opinion was that I feel the Storm track is better in nearly every way other than logging the highest peak speed at the very top on a long legged out stretch where the Cobra would be slightly faster. For me I could care less about what happens past 100. The Cobra has been a great track for a long time. Camso made the Storm in my opinion as an improved choice to the Cobra.

Kind of like the BackCountry 1.75" beingn a bad ass choice for such a long time. I have no bad words for the BackCountry 1.75" but the newer HURRICANE 1.75 outshines it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Interesting you say that. My 650 137 cobra with 96 studs topped out at 99-100 on plowed road. I think that's all they got.
22 XCR 650 128 1.25 IR, stock first trip out was 95-98ish?, Just going to the Team Tied was an improvement of 104-105 and have seen a flash of 106. Speedo speeds not gps. Also went with a gearing change later in the year without a calibration which is probably closer to actual GPS speeds.?

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
7,183 Posts
What is most important to YOU?

Deep snow / loose trail performance?

Top Speed?

Hole Shot on ice?

Different tracks for different priorities.

Track length and suspension differences would affect the answers as well.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
storm track will destroy the cobra out of the hole on hard packed. and loose snow as well. the cobra lugs are way softer and want to lay over. speed yes the cobra is faster not quicker. been tested and proven many times. on a porta tree to 1000' not some GPS that's up to 2 seconds behind.
Properly studded cobra with correct amount of penetration will hold it's own against a 1.5 storm in 1000'. I know because I have 2 polaris 850's. One with a storm and one with a cobra. I also have swapped on a 1" hacksaw and tested it against the storm. This on hard pack....obviously the looser the snow, the better the storm does.

you obviously have this porta tree at your disposal and use it all the time for testing...because you mention it in every response. I really hope to see some vids of your comparisons..showing the porta tree results. Swapping both clutches takes 2 mins on the lake. could show stock baseline, your kits, and the miraculously fast pb80, all on the same sled, same day, same conditions.

·
Premium Member
2,472 Posts
My 21 650 with a 137 storm 1.5 would only pull 103 mph on speedo. My 22 with a 136 ice ripper 1.25 would do 105 or 107 I can't quite remember. So yeah the storm with shorter gearing is definitely a little slower on the top end.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts