Hardcore Sledder banner
101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
i've had this sled clutch off twice. Polaris doesn't even have the soft wear to put these on the d-wrench. can't do a fucking thing to it. nice $23,000 only just recently have these been able to be flashed etc, basically the thing was a turd out of the box. so i looked at stuff like ex. valve issue etc. pretty hard to see a issue when you can not put it on the computer. $23,000 shit pail.
I really wish i could just put you on ignore...but sometimes I find your posts entertaining. I think we all would benefit if you spoke to the manager at polaris,

keep on spreading the positive vibes northstarkaren

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
The guy I bought my Assault from is an engineer at Polaris and he was very proud of the P22 clutch when we talked, basically said it will replace the P85.
Lots of people including myself have been running boosted power through the P85 clutch with no issues. I would say most running aftermarket turbo’s are making a bit more hp then a stock Boost as well so I don’t think a P85 will have any trouble at the stock Boost power level.

·
Vendor
11,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I really wish i could just put you on ignore...but sometimes I find your posts entertaining. I think we all would benefit if you spoke to the manager at polaris,

keep on spreading the positive vibes northstarkaren
they don't give a rat's ass. i work on all brands. i don't see the stupid shit with ski-doo or Yamaha. cat/Polaris it's a shit show. and i have 14 Polaris sleds. i just can't believe the stupid shit i see? it's all about money at any cost. the cost is cheap shit. fuel pump filters collapsing, coolant hose's not installed right, clutch bolts snapping off, jack and drive shaft bearings failing, but they post shit about how much they tested stuff? if they did some of this shit shouldn't be happening. it's really getting old.

·
Premium Member
19,720 Posts
Given the situation we are in right now, virtually all domestic manufacturers are struggling to get and keep good people. For example, Toyota had to issue a stop drive on their newest EV. The wheels are falling off and they don't yet have the fix. These problems are far from being fixed and can be expected to get worse.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The guy I bought my Assault from is an engineer at Polaris and he was very proud of the P22 clutch when we talked, basically said it will replace the P85.
Lots of people including myself have been running boosted power through the P85 clutch with no issues. I would say most running aftermarket turbo’s are making a bit more hp then a stock Boost as well so I don’t think a P85 will have any trouble at the stock Boost power level.
I've never had any issues with a P-85 averaging 5000 to 9000 mile with general maintenance and cleaning. If given a choice between a P-85 or power block wouldn't be much of a choice the P-85 would be on my sled.

I'll let Polaris figure out the fix for the P-22 clutch bolt and it may just be that, the clutch bolt. It's their problem to solve. I wouldn't be throwing them away.

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
3,057 Posts
Nothing new to have us Guinea Pigs do their testing for them. Sites like this provide free feedback for them. No doubt that these engineers need the help that comes from the guys that ride things the hardest. Even though the Boost has been in the Mountains already for a very short time I'm not feeling really comfortable that all the bugs will be ironed out for the guys that ordered up the 2023 Trail version Boosts. I have one on order and all my instincts from past experiences with 1st year models are telling me to WALK on this one. It will be a better sled in 2024 and even better sled in 2025. As long as I've been playing this game Polaris hasn't changed how they play the game. I've got a couple really nice sleds right now to ride and I think this 2023 Boost is looking like a good one to let others work the bugs out for better years to come. If the clutch right now is looking to Polaris to be a big problem, we will likely see Boosts roll off the line for delivery late. If they haven't figured out how to send them out reliable the threads will be full of good reads here this Winter. Today I'm feeling like tapping out on this one???

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Nothing new to have us Guinea Pigs do their testing for them. Sites like this provide free feedback for them. No doubt that these engineers need the help that comes from the guys that ride things the hardest. Even though the Boost has been in the Mountains already for a very short time I'm not feeling really comfortable that all the bugs will be ironed out for the guys that ordered up the 2023 Trail version Boosts. I have one on order and all my instincts from past experiences with 1st year models are telling me to WALK on this one. It will be a better sled in 2024 and even better sled in 2025. As long as I've been playing this game Polaris hasn't changed how they play the game. I've got a couple really nice sleds right now to ride and I think this 2023 Boost is looking like a good one to let others work the bugs out for better years to come. If the clutch right now is looking to Polaris to be a big problem, we will likely see Boosts roll off the line for delivery late. If they haven't figured out how to send them out reliable the threads will be full of good reads here this Winter. Today I'm feeling like tapping out on this one???
I'm excited for the boost, and won't back out on my order....which is actually two of them 137 and 129 haha....but slim chance I take delivery of both. I'll watch this clutch situation closely....I do have both primary and secondary clutches as spares sitting on shelf that I can use if not confident in the "fix" polaris comes out with.

I've always been that guy that for better or worse never shy away from buying a new first year model. Off top of my head this is my list of being the guinea pig haha.

1990 RXL 650
1993 XLT 580
1998 XC 700
2001 zr 800
2003 zr 900
2003 firecat 700
2008 xp 800
2009 mxz 1200
2012 F1100 turbo
2015 800 pro s 800
2017 sidewinder 998
2019 xc 850
2021 matryx assault 850 and VR1 850
and now the boost....

·
Premium Member
23 650 Adventure, 22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
4,304 Posts
Also the stop sale is only for RMKs currently. Probably because the trail machines aren't out yet, but might be resolved by the time they do come out.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I guess no reason to send them out with a stop ride statement. Not dropping $23,000 down for a sled that you’re not suppose to ride until they figure something out. Who knows, it may have to sit all winter. Still feel the issue is from the bolt vender. Pretty risky, liability wise, to send something. out with an issue that can spin up to 8,000+ rpm’s. Who knows, were the failed clutches off and put back on without proper torquing or not following procedure? Proper torquing procedure seems like it would be more important then ever in this new design. Besides getting the stationary sheave off, a puller won’t be needed. There will be a lot who will re-assemble and SWAG the torque spec. Not sure is using a torque angle spec is a better way to go now?

·
Registered
324 Posts
So the recall is for 2022 mountain sleds (RMK and Khaos), both with boost and NA. Since the NA uses the P85 and the boost uses the P22, that tells me the issue has to go beyond just the issues with how the P22 doesn't connect to the crank and has to be related to the bolt quality.

Here’s a failure on a 2022 with a P85

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
So the recall is for 2022 mountain sleds (RMK and Khaos), both with boost and NA. Since the NA uses the P85 and the boost uses the P22, that tells me the issue has to go beyond just the issues with how the P22 doesn't connect to the crank and has to be related to the bolt quality.

Here’s a failure on a 2022 with a P85

No, it's only Boost machines.
Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
I'm excited for the boost, and won't back out on my order....which is actually two of them 137 and 129 haha....but slim chance I take delivery of both. I'll watch this clutch situation closely....I do have both primary and secondary clutches as spares sitting on shelf that I can use if not confident in the "fix" polaris comes out with.

I've always been that guy that for better or worse never shy away from buying a new first year model. Off top of my head this is my list of being the guinea pig haha.

1990 RXL 650
1993 XLT 580
1998 XC 700
2001 zr 800
2003 zr 900
2003 firecat 700
2008 xp 800
2009 mxz 1200
2012 F1100 turbo
2015 800 pro s 800
2017 sidewinder 998
2019 xc 850
2021 matryx assault 850 and VR1 850
and now the boost....
A bit off topic but does your dealer get peeved if you back out on a snow check…I’m assuming that you guys like me have a good dealer and don’t want to damage the relationship. I also realize that they will have no problem selling these sleds and maybe for more money.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
A bit off topic but does your dealer get peeved if you back out on a snow check…I’m assuming that you guys like me have a good dealer and don’t want to damage the relationship. I also realize that they will have no problem selling these sleds and maybe for more money.
Just a guess but I’ll bet dealers won’t want to keep these $23,000 plus sleds and they would much rather see them get picked up in this economy. Part of me says they deserve some because charging MSRP plus others bs is a joke.

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
I agree that it appears to be a bolt quality issue and a potential harmonic issue as well and possibly on all sleds regardless of clutch used. The fact that Polaris replaced the clutch and the bolt is a good indicator.
How do you figure? They only changed the clutch to the P22 on the boost. Now you're saying there's an issue with P85 clutch bolts as well?

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
my dealers have no issue with it. They want the inventory.

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
3,057 Posts
I talked with my dealer about being hesitant to pull the trigger as I laid my $500 on the table. His words back in March were that if I decided I didn't want it I could very likely sell it outright and put $1,000 to $2,000 in my pocket on the sale. Then he added for extra security that if when it came in, I didn't want it he would happily give me my $500 back and sell it himself. At this point I said, "Order Up". I just hope that with the unknown economy changes from March to the Delivery date he isn't singing a different tune?? I'm not one to stick it to him anyways. If he is at all showing signs of disappointment, I would most likely take it. When I say most likely I think it comes down to this..... If Polaris delivers early, I'll most likely take it. If I'm getting the run around in December with questionable delivery bullshit like I got last year with my 2022 it will be a lot easier for me to back out. I never want to play that late delivery BULLSHIT game again.

·
Premium Member
19,720 Posts
How do you figure? They only changed the clutch to the P22 on the boost. Now you're saying there's an issue with P85 clutch bolts as well?
Just speculating that it may be a clutch bolt issue across the board. Might be a supplier issue. The P22 may just expose the problem more easily than the P85 due to the design. Still unknown what caused the bolt head to break off on the P85 clutch. That would cause the clutch to come off the crank and maybe the somehow unscrew the bolt. Once clutch comes loose from crank, the engine is no longer driving the belt, but the secondary could still spin the clutch if sled is coasting and unscrew the bolt causing the clutch and bolt to fall off together. All speculation on my part at this time.

101 - 120 of 131 Posts