Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 40 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
same supplier that they used for more then 10 years for that bolt. unless the bolt hardness was wrong? the boost spins more RPM them the plain 850. so is it bad harmonic's? they have had clutch part failure without the bolt breaking? starting to sound like something else is going on? Polaris engineers ran the plastic vent tube from the fuel tank over the header pipe on turbo RZR'S causing fire's and three people died from this. this wasn't a bad part. they do not do much real world testing anymore. you the customer is the test pilot today. testing in a dyno room etc. does not provide real world testing. mercury found this out the hard way. all motor testing was on a dyno. ( no clutch hooked up) problem didn't show up until the very first races. kind of funny it took until July to issue this? not much riding now i wouldn't think.
I feel its the design of the P-22 clutch itself. There is 80 to 100 thousands belt to sheave clearance with no way to shim it. The clutch bolt is the only thing that holds it together. There is no threaded spider or jam nut. Every time the clutch goes to neutral and then engages it bangs the clutch bolt hard. High engagement, heavy weights, mountain track in deep snow plus harmonics in high elevation are all contributors to this already poor design. I don't see the clutch bolt surviving when it is the only thing holding the clutch together. There is a thread on snowest that explains this just passing it on.

·
Premium Member
2021 SB 850 Pro-S 2016 SB 800 Pro-S
4,695 Posts
I feel its the design of the P-22 clutch itself. There is 80 to 100 thousands belt to sheave clearance with no way to shim it. The clutch bolt is the only thing that holds it together. There is no threaded spider or jam nut. Every time the clutch goes to neutral and then engages it bangs the clutch bolt hard. High engagement, heavy weights, mountain track in deep snow plus harmonics in high elevation are all contributors to this already poor design. I don't see the clutch bolt surviving when it is the only thing holding the clutch together. There is a thread on snowest that explains this just passing it on.
If I'm not mistaken you can bolt the P-85 right up to the Boost and run it. Then you even have more options for aftermarket weights....

• Wow
Reactions: flasch7192

·
Premium Member
23 650 Adventure, 22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
4,160 Posts
If I'm not mistaken you can bolt the P-85 right up to the Boost and run it. Then you even have more options for aftermarket weights....
If you do that don't forget to install a belt deflection screw in the secondary clutch.

·
Vendor
11,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
if CV-TECH ever gets my 850 test clutch to me. i think this will blow the p-22/85 out of the water. just changing a local guys worn out p-85 to a PB clutch gained 7 mph top end. 2015 pro-r 800. this from when the sled was brand new the worn out clutch was much worse. we have run these on 450 h.p. turbo sleds without one issue. the p-85 will not take much over 200 h.p. burant was taking a clutch out per day with the boost turned up. Polaris will have to come out with a better clutch if they want to turn up the h.p. much.

·
Vendor
11,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
if CV-TECH ever gets my 850 test clutch to me. i think this will blow the p-22/85 out of the water. just changing a local guys worn out p-85 to a PB clutch gained 7 mph top end. 2015 pro-r 800. this from when the sled was brand new the worn out clutch was much worse. we have run these on 450 h.p. turbo sleds without one issue. the p-85 will not take much over 200 h.p. burant was taking a clutch out per day with the boost turned up. Polaris will have to come out with a better clutch if they want to turn up the h.p. much.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I highly doubt there is any performance gain going to a PB80 from a P85. I’ve raced doos running the PB80 clutch and they lost like the rest of them.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I highly doubt there is any performance gain going to a PB80 from a P85. I’ve raced doos running the PB80 clutch and they lost like the rest of them.

and I've never seen a turbo doo running a PB 80.....any boosted 1200's making decent power around here run Tapp, or STM.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
7,192 Posts
For those struggling with what is being discused... this PB80 primary clutch, is made by CV-Tech, it is a Power Block style clutch.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For those struggling with what is being discused... this PB80 primary clutch, is made by CV-Tech, it is a Power Block style clutch.
They've been around a long time. Always seemed limited for tuning accessories. Now with all the adjustable weights available a Power Block is more involved changing weights. No quick adjust for them.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
That video left me with two questions..first..how are they lubricating the turbo? My knowledge of turbos is on diesel engines that use the engine oil of course. How are they doing it on the two stroke?

Second question...did I see the chaincase had been replaced with a belt system? I apologize for my ignorance on the new stuff.

·
Registered
309 Posts
That video left me with two questions..first..how are they lubricating the turbo? My knowledge of turbos is on diesel engines that use the engine oil of course. How are they doing it on the two stroke?

Second question...did I see the chaincase had been replaced with a belt system? I apologize for my ignorance on the new stuff.
Belt drives have been on almost all Polaris mountain sleds since 2013.

The turbo is lubed with oil. The system is explained in this vid:

·
Vendor
11,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
This should help explain the facts about what Polaris has done to the Boost to increase durabilty in the RMK including engine and clutch.

they should get somebody that know what there talking about doing this stuff? guy didn't even know what controls a four stroke combustion event. ( valves ) we are ready knew the crank was stronger. and unlike you wanta be's we have a patriot boost. that has had 4 recalls and 2 stop ride's on it? keep drinking the poolaid. the p-22 is a piece of shit. belt to sheave clearance of .0.80 + ? already a number of failures in the field. if they have been developing it for years? this shit shouldn't be happening. that didn't explain shit. $23,000.00 i guess you don't get much for that any more.

·
Vendor
11,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
that's where your wrong again. the p-85 moves a lot of air. moving air takes H.P. the PB80 is way better here. again when we see a sanctioned time slip and not some screen shot of your phone? then maybe some one might believe you? pretty easy to look at the jerry rice race series in N.Y. and see where our customers won. even with us clutching a pump gas turbo sled. i guy here winning in Canada had the trophy in front of his sled? we will see this winter just how bad your going to get spanked?

·
Premium Member
19,682 Posts
Anybody who truly knows clutching, should realize that it's very important to keep temps as low as possible. In fact, everyone should notice just the P22 clutch has a lot of open area to promote that. Belt life is directly affected by heat buildup. The PB80 looks very poor for that.

As for not knowing what controls combustion in a four stroke, surely a good mechanic knows that it's more than just valves.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
that's where your wrong again. the p-85 moves a lot of air. moving air takes H.P. the PB80 is way better here. again when we see a sanctioned time slip and not some screen shot of your phone? then maybe some one might believe you? pretty easy to look at the jerry rice race series in N.Y. and see where our customers won. even with us clutching a pump gas turbo sled. i guy here winning in Canada had the trophy in front of his sled? we will see this winter just how bad your going to get spanked?
My results have been posted at NSSR for years. Snow drags don’t give out time slips. Let’s see your time slips from snow drags?? Bet you have none.
The p85 moves a lot of air? My 1hp weedwacker could free spin a p85 to 8,000.

This winter I’m going to get spanked? Not by any sleds in the same class.

21 - 40 of 131 Posts