Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
7,183 Posts
The MY23 Boost flatland two stroke sleds, use a different primary clutch mounting bolt, than the MY22 Boost mountain and the MY23 Titan ProStar 4 stroke.

.. MY23 Boost flatland sleds:
7528193 SCR-SH-M14X1.5X180 10.9 SPC ND

I am not positive, as to the exact definition of the "ND" suffix on the MY23 primary clutch mounting bolt description.

Reactions: jmaxdox

·
Vendor
11,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you would think this stuff should be tested prior to public release? Polaris by far has the most safety recalls of all other power sports company's combined? maybe it's time to look at the people in charge and maybe show them the door. this stuff just keeps happening over and over. and people have died from some of these failures.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
you would think this stuff should be tested prior to public release? Polaris by far has the most safety recalls of all other power sports company's combined? maybe it's time to look at the people in charge and maybe show them the door. this stuff just keeps happening over and over. and people have died from some of these failures.
Even the car manufactures who have to go through much more testing have recalls......it happens everywhere. And us consumers who demand everything cheap doesn't help.

·
Registered
22 Plum VR1-850/15 Pro-S/15 8RR/21 850 XRS
1,945 Posts
IMO, usually test units/pre production sleds are hand built and with material designers choose. Then bean counters get the final say on cost effective materials/parts sources, is main reason for recalls/defective parts in final production units we receive.

·
Registered
530 Posts
probably snapping similar to the 2ndary deflection screw due to poor material.
Didn’t know if they were breaking, corroding, unloading… but yea if they are breaking could be material or plating process - if they are Zinc plated which a lot of hardware for outdoor use is then hydrogen embrittlement is a pretty common failure but there’s obviously many things it could be so… just didn’t know what actually is happening to the bolt

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
2,988 Posts
IMO, usually test units/pre production sleds are hand built and with material designers choose. Then bean counters get the final say on cost effective materials/parts sources, is main reason for recalls/defective parts in final production units we receive.
This is most likely the case. This has been going on at Polaris longer than I've gotten back into the sport. I dealer friend told me this years ago.

·
Vendor
11,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what's funny ( or not ) is the bolt can break and other clutch components can fail? i.ve seen clutch bolts and crank shaft's break off. the clutch usually just falls into the belly pan. unless wide open then it can wreck a bunch of shit. I've also seen clutch bolt's back out and the clutch never came off. even on a 707 650 mod. i hope this isn't bad harmonic's? merc snow twisters in 77' and the thunder bolt ignition on the 340 and 440 sleds were shaking drive clutches apart in 5-10 laps on the race track early 76. the flywheel was to light.( sound familiar)? they had to add a harmonic balancer to the light flywheel to fix this. time will tell?

·
Registered
955 Posts
In all fairness to engineers and bean counters alike, the preferred supplier today may NOT be in a position to SUPPLY. Then it's the 2nd or 3rd ranked "supplier" that maybe has the ability to deliver. Sometimes those 2nd and 3rd choices are 2nd or 3rd for a reason, but if you need the part to produce......

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I’m going to guess it is a supplier issue or a production issue. I don’t think Polaris is going to take any risk on a part that may come off/explode at 8000rpm. One death from a proven poor design would be one big settlement.

·
Vendor
11,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
same supplier that they used for more then 10 years for that bolt. unless the bolt hardness was wrong? the boost spins more RPM them the plain 850. so is it bad harmonic's? they have had clutch part failure without the bolt breaking? starting to sound like something else is going on? Polaris engineers ran the plastic vent tube from the fuel tank over the header pipe on turbo RZR'S causing fire's and three people died from this. this wasn't a bad part. they do not do much real world testing anymore. you the customer is the test pilot today. testing in a dyno room etc. does not provide real world testing. mercury found this out the hard way. all motor testing was on a dyno. ( no clutch hooked up) problem didn't show up until the very first races. kind of funny it took until July to issue this? not much riding now i wouldn't think.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts