Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Advanced Lummox
17,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished going through The Northern Sno Trails snowmobile newspaper for Sudbury Trail Pland and Parry Sound Snowmobile District and can not help to notice something sticking out like a sore thumb

Reading all the columns from 13 or so clubs,I enjoyed every bit of it,I have met 4 of the writers of the past few years,and they tell it as it is,just like when they are talking to them in person. From issue affect trails,to club event and to suggested trail rides and place to see.

Some are blatant as to say do not go to such restaurant/gas station if they do not support the club or sledding as a whole . I applaud them for being blunt and straight to the point. If so and so are not willing to help out clubs yet are more then willing to take our $$$$, why should we support them?

Another writer talks about the biggest problem facing sledding in Ontario which is unorganized ATVing and the fact the OFSC has done little to recognize this other than to tell club to put NO ATV signs at trail heads. The family snomobiling theme they are pushing is all fine and dandy. But is not the major issue.

This all brings me to this :stirthepot:

All 15+ articles were to the point and personnable except for acouple of them

Yup the polished OFSC inserts

I guess they expect people to read these and say GEE I think I will buy 2-3 sleds and get my family involved in some holesome(sp?) fun. IMO work on the poeple you have before losing them. They have disanfranchised(sp?) many over the past 5+yrs. Sure promote sledding as a Family sport but do not forget the meat and potatoes rider that is the base of most of your permit holders the guys and gals that just wanna ride

I am throwing this one out of left field,brace yourself if you want to promote family sledding,promote a family discount for 2 sleds families,I am not saying half price neither. I know some will say I have never supported this discount in the past but people do change :)(yes I know this comes down to the AGM blah blah,but is something to look into

The OFSC through its bureaucrats is starting to be more and more like a Political party,as it has to look all polished and prepped. I know its not the OFSC fault but can they be a bit more like real sledders instead of politician selling you a product

One insert was about the un mentionable and how it was a great success and all are for it,which is complete udder BS,yes some loved it while other questionned it and other hated it

PS Lets not turn that subject into a pissing match its over and done with for now :)

Than we our good ole buddy Craig The "unofficial" voice of the OFSC he denies it but come on read his articles, that said his column in this issue was a good one ,its about why,how,when what where about clubs grooming,hmmm we all have seen recent discussions on this.

I have a love hate for The Intrepid Snowmobiler, I like his ride articles and safety features in print and TV but I don't like his ornery attitude when it comes to the OFSC ,he is to me their enforcer and nobody dare question him.

Oh ya remember last yrs TV add campaign fiasco? I have yet to see an TV add this season HMMMM?

I am an active club member and belong to 2 clubs and I see the attitude towards us from permit holders and the stick to your guns OFSC mantrat(sp?). We all share the same attitude but do not have the extreme view of how things should be done according to disgrunteld sledders or the the other extreme the OFSC

BTW I know people reading this and I am sticking this out. The Northern Sno Trails should be IMO also available online. This way people will see real people just like them in clubs that tell it as it is in a controlled forum unlike here were you get me uncontrolably ranting .

Anyone get Northern SnoTrails paper,if you bought permits in the Sudbury area or Parry Sound area you should be getting one. Its a good read IMO. And like I said it would be complimented nicely if we can get it on the web also for others in Ontario,Ohio,Michigan,NY,Penn to read about our areas in a personnable way

anyway sorry about the rant :)

Still waiting to get my sled going hopefully next weekend

·
Super Advanced Lummox
17,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
God my grammar and spelling is bad :lol:

Of btw Zoso is pictured in a collumn with shears,must be after that Cop

Craig I recognized that Jacket when I saw it today as you had the same one on this morning :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well FB...after receiving my copy this week, can't say I agree with you on most of the articles. Seems to me the same thing over and over again as appears in the paper from previous years. In fact, I liked your article the best because it suggested some riding areas...too bad there was no room for maps. Having been born and raised in Sudbury I'd look forward to spending some family sledding vacation time there - my style staying at hotel/cabin for a week and combining a few good days on the trails with the entertainment the city has to offer. However, don't want to drive over sidewalks or four lane roads to do it!

In other areas, (North Bay, Muskoka etc.) if you check out a few resorts you'll find groups or families checking in for multiple days, often at a pretty good buck, for a combination of activities. Perhaps the OFSC is eventually trying to build partnerships in this way.

As for Craig Nicholson, have no use for him when he left the Parry Sound district out of his book of best sledding in Canada. As far as that goes, I'm surprised the local TV station in Sudbury hasn't given you a camera to go out and bring back local sledding stories!

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
I just finished going through The Northern Sno Trails snowmobile newspaper for Sudbury Trail Pland and Parry Sound Snowmobile District and can not help to notice something sticking out like a sore thumb

Reading all the columns from 13 or so clubs,I enjoyed every bit of it,I have met 4 of the writers of the past few years,and they tell it as it is,just like when they are talking to them in person. From issue affect trails,to club event and to suggested trail rides and place to see.

Some are blatant as to say do not go to such restaurant/gas station if they do not support the club or sledding as a whole . I applaud them for being blunt and straight to the point. If so and so are not willing to help out clubs yet are more then willing to take our $$$$, why should we support them?

Another writer talks about the biggest problem facing sledding in Ontario which is unorganized ATVing and the fact the OFSC has done little to recognize this other than to tell club to put NO ATV signs at trail heads. The family snomobiling theme they are pushing is all fine and dandy. But is not the major issue.

This all brings me to this :stirthepot:

All 15+ articles were to the point and personnable except for acouple of them

Yup the polished OFSC inserts

I guess they expect people to read these and say GEE I think I will buy 2-3 sleds and get my family involved in some holesome(sp?) fun. IMO work on the poeple you have before losing them. They have disanfranchised(sp?) many over the past 5+yrs. Sure promote sledding as a Family sport but do not forget the meat and potatoes rider that is the base of most of your permit holders the guys and gals that just wanna ride

I am throwing this one out of left field,brace yourself if you want to promote family sledding,promote a family discount for 2 sleds families,I am not saying half price neither. I know some will say I have never supported this discount in the past but people do change :)(yes I know this comes down to the AGM blah blah,but is something to look into

The OFSC through its bureaucrats is starting to be more and more like a Political party,as it has to look all polished and prepped. I know its not the OFSC fault but can they be a bit more like real sledders instead of politician selling you a product

One insert was about the un mentionable and how it was a great success and all are for it,which is complete udder BS,yes some loved it while other questionned it and other hated it

PS Lets not turn that subject into a pissing match its over and done with for now :)

Than we our good ole buddy Craig The "unofficial" voice of the OFSC he denies it but come on read his articles, that said his column in this issue was a good one ,its about why,how,when what where about clubs grooming,hmmm we all have seen recent discussions on this.

I have a love hate for The Intrepid Snowmobiler, I like his ride articles and safety features in print and TV but I don't like his ornery attitude when it comes to the OFSC ,he is to me their enforcer and nobody dare question him.

Oh ya remember last yrs TV add campaign fiasco? I have yet to see an TV add this season HMMMM?

I am an active club member and belong to 2 clubs and I see the attitude towards us from permit holders and the stick to your guns OFSC mantrat(sp?). We all share the same attitude but do not have the extreme view of how things should be done according to disgrunteld sledders or the the other extreme the OFSC

BTW I know people reading this and I am sticking this out. The Northern Sno Trails should be IMO also available online. This way people will see real people just like them in clubs that tell it as it is in a controlled forum unlike here were you get me uncontrolably ranting .

Anyone get Northern SnoTrails paper,if you bought permits in the Sudbury area or Parry Sound area you should be getting one. Its a good read IMO. And like I said it would be complimented nicely if we can get it on the web also for others in Ontario,Ohio,Michigan,NY,Penn to read about our areas in a personnable way

anyway sorry about the rant :)

Still waiting to get my sled going hopefully next weekend[/b]
I know I'm going to sound like a flag waver again ............ but

I can't really say much about whats in the rag because I haven't read it ??? But I'd have to say the new ad campain direction of bringing in new sledders and being more family orentated is working well, even on here there has been a fair amount of newbies to sledding signing on, and I've seen a huge increase in families coming and going at our club house (early season at that). The only way to off set the rising cost of everything without raising the permit price is to sell more permits.

As for last years permit comercials, (not I think it was needed) but in their defense no one had any idea when those were made bought and paid for along with air time, that last winter would be a flop ??? You don't see this ad this year because of the many complaints from last years money spent on them.

I for one think there could be some changes made, but for the most part I think the paid staff at the OFSC (all 6 to 10 of them) are doing a bang up job with what we the clubs and sledders ask be implemented, with the money available. Sure there's issues but they'll always be .... no mater who's in those positions.

BTW Craig is the offical voice of the OFSC and a paid employee.

·
Registered
12,705 Posts
I’m still pissed off that they don’t send me that paper anymore. Yes, I’m still buy a permit from The Carling Trailblazers in the PSSD as I have for the last 15+ years. I received the paper the first year it came out but nothing after that. I guess they don’t mail it into the States anymore.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I’m still pissed off that they don’t send me that paper anymore. Yes, I’m still buy a permit from The Carling Trailblazers in the PSSD as I have for the last 15+ years. I received the paper the first year it came out but nothing after that. I guess they don’t mail it into the States anymore.[/b]
Buy a permit = ride a trail. :yelrotflmao:

·
Super Advanced Lummox
17,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I can't really say much about whats in the rag because I haven't read it ??? But I'd have to say the new ad campain direction of bringing in new sledders and being more family orentated is working well, even on here there has been a fair amount of newbies to sledding signing on, and I've seen a huge increase in families coming and going at our club house (early season at that). The only way to off set the rising cost of everything without raising the permit price is to sell more permits.
As for last years permit comercials, (not I think it was needed) but in their defense no one had any idea when those were made bought and paid for along with air time, that last winter would be a flop ??? You don't see this ad this year because of the many complaints from last years money spent on them.
I for one think there could be some changes made, but for the most part I think the paid staff at the OFSC (all 6 to 10 of them) are doing a bang up job with what we the clubs and sledders ask be implemented, with the money available. Sure there's issues but they'll always be .... no mater who's in those positions.

BTW Craig is the offical voice of the OFSC and a paid employee.[/b]
they're more then 10 btw

Keep painting the rosy picture :stirthepot:

Like said its all polished to look good

and I will try to find where Mr Nicholson said he is not with the OFSC and post it from last yr

That said he is a member here on HCS

Wait till we see the yr end permit #s and than judge the campaign

All I am saying is do not forget about the weekend warrior

Cam Am pm me your address I can see what I can do,as they do read this but don't post

However, don't want to drive over sidewalks or four lane roads to do it![/b]
Slomo you should know better

That said it has nothing to with the clubs its the City advertising those places

Look at The TravelLodge on Paris if you are coming to Sudbury and never been you are in for a hell of a surprise if you think you can sled from there + cops have been nailing people for riding the sidewalk which is the only way to get to the TravelLodge. The City proper is a horrible place to sled I gather you know that. but go up to Onaping or Capreol and it a big diference

IMO Sudbury city proper is unfriendly to sledding

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have been having chats with a lot of volunteers/ members of clubs regarding the "clubs" which are not really clubs in the true sense of the word. I think they are more like snowmobile businesses. They are in charge of maintaining a portion of trail and keeping it to a standard (which is supposed to be province wide).
(For the record I do a lot of volunteer work and on the executive of a club) and that is the extent of a lot of them. Where is the social/ family aspect of them?

If the OFSC is going to promote family sledding then they most add the family part to sledding. I have noticed and brought this up to a lot of people: When you go sledding what is the destination? Most of the replies I get follow the formula of " we are going to ride to <destination> for "LUNCH" and make a loop back."
I think to get families to go out we need to promote more destinations for families to go to SEE and EXPERIENCE things that they would not ordinarily see/ do. Otherwise sledding is just riding around in large circles. Many examples can be found, here is one: I see/ hear about this cliff face with ice down the front of it, I have even seen it on a brochure. Do I know where the hell it is? NO! ( I do think it is south of Haliburton somewhere. Someone post back where it is and I can go see it this winter)
My belief is that the dropping of the ball is at the District level not at the clubs and (I do not know enough to be positive, but am working on it) not at the OFSC level. The OFSC seems to be doing a good job of getting the "activity" organized and working towards consistency across the province.
This is why I am on board and promoting http://rideconnection.forumotion.com/index.htm To try and get more out of sledding more out of what I think sledding is: A way to get around and see places and things I otherwise would not get to see.

·
Registered
77 Posts
:postwhore:

BTW Craig is the offical voice of the OFSC and a paid employee.[/b]

G

·
Spiffy your opinions on some clubs are bang on. I joined my present club with anticipation of helping in keeping our trails viable and in hopes of gaining a social aspect to my sledding experience. The first two years there I never once rode with a member, nor did I hear anyone at a meeting discuss sledding, just the mundane aspect of admistrative duty pertaining to my designated position within the club. Due to the aformentioned, my wife and I took stock as to why we were there, now fortunately we have some new members that are seeing things as we are. We are now becoming proactive in transforming the club into a more social place and hope to attract more people that are like minded. I do take satisfaction from knowing my efforts keep the trails open are well worth it, however I also want more from my club experience than simply keeping the trails open. I continually press for this aspect to become ingrained in our clubs philosophy and hope that in the future we will have an abundance of enthusiast that not only want to work toward having the best trails but also wnat to enjoy the company of those involved. Your message board is a good idea, the challenge will be getting the word out.

·
Super Advanced Lummox
17,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good responses Spiffy and Zoso

Originally posted by Spiffy
They are in charge of maintaining a portion of trail and keeping it to a standard (which is supposed to be province wide).
HMMM :stirthepot: some clubs are better at it than others yet with only few members its hard to keep the standards from being reach

last year the OFSC had a criteria that districts and clubs had to meet

only District 12 met all needs the OFSC put down to them

And the only way to get a certain funding the district had to meet the criteria

Yet at the last sec the OFSC caved in and gave everyone the funding even though the 16 other districts did not meet their obligations

This just shows a lack of of leadership at both levels,#1 why did they not meet the targets and #2 why did the OFSC cave in,rules are rules but rules change I guess

1 - 12 of 12 Posts