Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some opinions on where to buy and which saw is best. I basically cut a load of loggs every year and trail clearing. Don't need the biggest saw just one that will work well and last. I tired of Poulan crap.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Need some opinions on where to buy and which saw is best. I basically cut a load of loggs every year and trail clearing. Don't need the biggest saw just one that will work well and last. I tired of Poulan crap.[/b]

Stihl or Husky are your best bets. Go at least 50cc though. Better to have a bit more than you need. :div20:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Spent some time in Thunder Bay going to school for forestry. Buy either Stihl or Husqvarna (it's a personal preference as to which one is better)they are the best (it is what the professional forestry guys use to fell trees.) For medium duty applications 40 to 50 cc should be enough. I just bought a brand new Husqvarna 353 e-tech. Only had it 2 weeks haven't had a chance to crack it open yet. Has 3.2 hp and only weighs 11.5 pounds. Just go on line to search dealers for either stihl or Husqvarna on their websites. These saws are dealer sold only( no box stores)so the product comes from people who have experience and knowlege with how they work and provide full support. Replacement parts and service is readily available. Buy 1 of these, keep it maintained and your great grandchildren will be using it.

Hope this sheds some light for you

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Glen I probably do the same amout of cutting as you, about 5 to 7 cords a year plus brushing and clearing. Last year I upgraded to a Stihl MS260Pro 50cc 18", just under $680 with the full monty Wood Pro Kit, all the safety shit, Stihl tool box with all the Stihl tools, sharpening kit, the saw case and a 20" bar plus 2 Oregon chains for each bar. By far the best saw I've ever used :div20:

What I need for cutting firewood :beerchug:

·
Registered
178 Posts
my grandma bought my grandfather a husqavarna in the 60's and its still used by my father, last year we ran it over with the truck (maybe we had to many) by accident and she fired up agin no problem u cant kill those saws

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glen I probably do the same amout of cutting as you, about 5 to 7 cords a year plus brushing and clearing. Last year I upgraded to a Stihl MS260Pro 50cc 18", just under $680 with the full monty Wood Pro Kit, all the safety shit, Stihl tool box with all the Stihl tools, sharpening kit, the saw case and a 20" bar plus 2 Oregon chains for each bar. By far the best saw I've ever used :div20:
What I need for cutting firewood :beerchug:[/b]
Sounds like this is the one for me also.
Romantic anniversary gift for Glen> :celebrating:

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Deisel:

You could PM Oldtimer on this forum. He cuts wood for a living and is very knowledgable.

Last winter we had 2 really big trees dropped at the cottage (36 inches across the butt). Obviously WAY too big for our old saw with 18 bar. I walked into Muskoka rental and rented the BIGGEST Stihl saw they had. It was 90 cc with a 32 inch bar! Rented it to me without even asking if I knew what I was doing (borderline that I did!).

Well holy $hit!!! It came complete with a decompression lever to get the damn thing started! Went through the tree like NOTHING I have ever seen. By the time I was done I was calling it the "Open Mod" saw! It would literally pull itself through the log like a hot knife through butter. UNBELIEVABLE!

Best $$ I EVER spent on renting equipment!!

I do remember reading that there is something about the Model #s on the Stihl saws. A certain range of #s are only sold at the big box stores and are inferior quality to what you get at a Stihl dealer.

·
Registered
277 Posts
buy a stihl, i have used both saws and prefer the stihl any day over the husky, i am in school taking Aboriculture (tree climbing, tree removal) as stated before the MS260 is a great saw for cutting firewood or felling smaller trees the next step up wood be a MS361 that can take i believe a 24inch bar and has alot more power around 65cc compared to 50cc. Stihl makes 3 grades of saws consumer, farm, and commercial.......stay away from the consumer unless your using it like 1once a year and cutting small brush, the farm saws are good but have cheaper parts of them, the commercial saws are top of the line and have mostly steel, magnesium and aluminum parts compared to plastic and a cast head on it aswell. goodluck

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
We've had real good luck with gear from Echo. We have 3 saws, one pole saw and trimmer.

Clearing trail is brutal on gear.

I'd recommend them and if they are for a club they have a not for profit program. Saved us 10-15% additional.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Off my 50 acres I cut firewood and Saw logs that I have milled up with a portable saw mill. To date a Stihl 034 purchased in 1993 (18 and 20 inch bars) has been adequate. I am now starting to sell firewood and will be purchasing a Stihl 440 tomorrow for $650.00 US. On thing I have found with Stihl is that there seem to be two tiers of dealers based on sales volume. Shop around and find a dealer that sells more saws and he will be able to give you a beter price. The dealer I used to buy from is dropping the Stihl line because his discount from Stihl is not competitive because he does less than $30,000 a year in Stihl sales.

Go Stihl...13 years and no problems

1 - 13 of 13 Posts