Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody felt the steering get stiffer as older the sled gets?I have greased the spindles but it feels like the bellcranks in the bulkhead are stiff.Do I need to remove them to grease?Dont see any zerks for them.I have checked everything else.When the sled is off the ground the steering is not smooth & feels way to heavy.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Mine had stiff stearing too. I installed the ISO-Vibe and was amazed i could steer with one hand!!
It had nothing to do with the iso-vibe. The wires( hand wamer, throttle saftey, ect) were wired tied way too tight.
Cut the wire ties

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
the wire ties were always there, if the steering was originally smooth and easy, the ties aren't all of a sudden gonna make the steering get stiff, i would disconnect the tie rod that goes from the steering stem to the right spindle, depending if it is a f7 or f5, not sure if they are different, and see if it is the spindles/tubes, or the steering shaft and related bushings, and then go from there

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Hey. dont get me wrong but that happened to mine. steering was ok when new and then got stiffer. as soon as i cut the wire ties it got easy agian. Maybe mine was just a fluke. :p

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FIxed it this night.It was the rt spindle, the bushings were dry & rusty.The grease that goes in was not reaching the top bushing.Cleaned & lubed both sides.Steering is like new, cant believe I rode with it twice like that.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Originally posted by 02SnoPro@Mar 13 2003, 07:25 PM
FIxed it this night.It was the rt spindle, the bushings were dry & rusty.The grease that goes in was not reaching the top bushing.Cleaned & lubed both sides.Steering is like new, cant believe I rode with it twice like that.
RoyT, are you reading this post???

This is very interesting.... AC decided to put zerks on the F sleds to be able to grease this area, but the zerks don't actually get any grease into this particular area(rt spindle, top bushing) due to the fact that the grease leaks out into the bulkhead area.... :angry:
-John

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Yeah John, I'm here! I don't know what to say or add, other than the fact that I'll probably just take my RH spindle apart to try and get some grease in there somehow or another. You??? -- Roy

P.S. What are you doing for '04? I've got 3700 miles on mine so far, and am enjoying it SO much I hate to even think about selling it at this point... but who knows yet!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts