Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so took my IQ out to the bighorn mountains on friday and just got it dialed in today and what a blast! This lil guy can climb! But with the beating i was throwing at it i ended up breakin the stearing at the bulkhead where that bolt attaches and connects to the tirerod connecter thing. I had to ride about 10 miles down the mountain without steering, so my buddy would bump me around to keep me from hitting rocks and trees. lol. It was an interesting ride! I know i have read on here that this has happened before but i cant seem to find the posts. Does anyone know a way to rig it so i can ride tomorrow so i dont have to rent a 250 sled. And could somone post there fix to the problem? I was thinking when i get back to MN to just weld a piece of alluminum to the bulkhead. The area around the bolt is extremely trashed so idk of a half assed fixed to ride, probably a good idea to leave it on the trailer and just rent a 144 or 155 dragon 7 hundo. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Sorry Sno Patrol there is no easy fix for this, at least not that will get you back on the trail tomorrow unless you have and aluminum welder.

This is going to be the biggest flaw in the '06 chassis. Everyone who has an '06 must address this issue before it brakes out or you will be in the same boat. Just because yours looks fine today doesn't mean it will last past next week.

The heat affected zone around the two verticle welds is very brittle and will crack out even under moderate use.

We need to pin a topic like this with the options for fixing it. I have fixed about 5 that were completely blown out like yours and it's not a super hard job but you either have to pull the motor or pull the front nose cone off the sled. The Nosecone fix is easier. I will post some pics on Tuesday or before. I only took a few and most were after I completed the fix but you will get the picture.

Polaris Fix Before it's Broken
I had better luck drilling two 1/4" holes in the exact same place as described in the Polaris Tip and Rosette welding them. Block never moved on several of my sleds. I have also seen a slot ground between where the two bolts are on the Polaris Tip and back welding from above, just like a Rosette Weld but a slot instead of a round hole.

Chad174 may have some pics of his fix.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
tom i would like that.
so the sell tapping screws wont stop this from happening?[/b]
I think the Polaris Fix works OK, maybe even good. We just decided to go a different route. Same principal but took less than 10 minutes on each sled and cost nothing. None of ours broke out with the Rosette Weld method. None of our team partners sleds broke out with the self tapping screws though either.

·
Registered
800 Posts
He could get a good sized piece of steel, throw it in a vice, heat it, put a 90 degree bend in it, then rivet it with some good steel rivets to the top.... Have the major portion dropped down and covering the hole left by the ripped bulkhead. Make sure to drill a hole the size of the heim joint prior to riveting it... then hole saw cut the front, and then just put a regular nut on the heim joint after passing it through the steel bracket that ya riveted into place.

Just a quick fix in a pinch. When a get home drill out the rivets, weld an aluminum plate in place, and weld up the hole saw plate hole when done installing the heim joint.

I dunno, done bigger fixes in a pinch while out west.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
on my sled the previous owner took a square chunk of aluminum, maybe like 3"X 1 1/4" by half inch thick. they drilled and tapped it to fit the heim joint. they then notched a square out of the frame and welded it in. seems awfully solid to me. obviously not going to get you on the trail tomorrow but its a good long term fix.

[attachment=405973:DSC04285.JPG]

·
Registered
800 Posts
I'm thinking the same thing as that aluminum bracket, but a riveted piece of steel for temporary use... I guess I'd need to see the extent of the damage. Maybe the backer nut just came loose and backed off. I've seen that portion just completely ripped open though too.

If the nut just backed off, you can hole saw the front, and throw a new nut on there, maybe one with nylock, or get some red loctite

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Definately some good options Zing. No Doubt a little inguinity will go a long ways toward saving a trip.

I was thinking he was out west on a little trip or vacation and may not have access to many tools or a shop. If thats the case I would spend the $240, rent a New Doo 154 Everest XP and pound the living crap out of it trying to break it in half. At the rate they are failing around here it shouldn't take but about 80 miles to get his moneys worth out of the thing.

Lots of options here, some are a little hard to do with few tools and no shop.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I was in the horns years ago and the locals seemed real happy to help me repair and remount a busted trailing arm. It was my old 1200 watercraft in an edge though(I think this was in 2003), they may have just wanted a closer peek at it.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I was in cook city and started feeding the guy at the lodge beer, next thing i know, he's got his welder and bandsaw out letting me repair my steering post, never underestimate the power of BEER. Craig

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
ummmmm BEER!!!!

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
what exaclty does the update do? was it only the 06's that had this problem?[/b]
Pretty much only the '06 that has this issue. Never saw any other year IQ break here.

The Polaris tip holds the aluminum nut in place a little better and reduces some of the stress on the two vertical welds. During the welding process the thin aluminum of the bulkhead is stressed from all the heat it takes to penetrate the thick nut. The heat affected zone of the weld is affected by imbrittlement and it breaks out at the bulkhead. It could have something to do with the speed at which the thin bulkhead and the thick nut cool down.

I'm not a metallurgist but that appears whats happening to me.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Im back home now and tomorrow i will weld in a piece of aluminum. I didn't have the right tools to do any kind of fix so i went a couple miles down the mountain and rented a RMK 144 with under 60 miles on it...lets just say i broke it in. lol. It was not as much fun as the IQ though. The bolt ripped a huge hole in the bulkhead so i will have to weld multipul spots to fix/reinforce it. Another guy from my town told me that he had the polaris recomemded update and his bulkhead still cracked so im not to sure on that one anymore, but now i know i should of reinforced that sucker, with a hunk of aluminum before i ever even rode it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Of course...after I read this post, I go look at mine and it's just about fuct. Is there any way to fix it without welding?? can you just bolt a piece of angle iron to the bulkhead? This blows...

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
you might be able to get by with just a chunk of anlge iron. i dont know how you will get to the back of the bolts though. you could maybe put some blind nuts in.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I had to do that update to some 06 IQ's this summer. Thank god it was summer, it allowed me more time to remove the bellypan and open that area right up so it was easier to work on. It's not that it's hard job to do, it's more about the time it takes to do it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Jordan, did you just get you IQ this past year at haydays?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So i had a piece of aluminum CNC"ed out into a custom bracet that would fit into the hole in my bulkhead and then had it welded into place and now there is no way in hell that this steering is going to break in that area again. I will post some pics later but it took only a couple hours and less then 30 bucks if you have the right connections. When the welder was looking at the original welds that polaris did to the threaded block that they weld in, he said that one weld had almost no penitration so that was nice to hear. lol. But shes all fixed up now and ready to rip.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts