Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a STD 04 F5 thats getting a Sno-Pro suspension. So far I have all 4 shocks lined up and getting shipped for it. Also getting new rear suspension springs from the dealer. Anything I am missing or do I have it pretty well covered?

PS, if anyone is looking for a complete set of 04 STD shocks, shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I changed my sno pro to a standard, just changed out the shocks and springs, you will need to cut some slots for the clamps that hold the reserviors for the front shocks, and you will most likely have to fabricate some sort of bracket to hold the reservior for the front rear suspension shock, the standards do not have one on the front arm cross shaft. Other than that, about the only differences I know of.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
limiter straps are different, SP ones are longer. need front resevoir mount, and all 4 springs to go with the SP shocks. i think some year sleds also had the skid mount holes in a different location, IE holes closer to the ground on SP sleds which is why they sat higher

·
Registered
12,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just checked part #'s and the STD & Sno-Pro rear suspension springs are the same, so looks like I'll just need to make a resi mount for the rear shock. I already knew aboot all the resi stuff guys, I'm not that dim when it comes to snowmobiles (but I'm damn close)!

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I just checked part #'s and the STD & Sno-Pro rear suspension springs are the same, so looks like I'll just need to make a resi mount for the rear shock. I already knew aboot all the resi stuff guys, I'm not that dim when it comes to snowmobiles (but I'm damn close)![/b]
maybe on a '04 they are the same, but i know on my '03 the springs ARE different in the rear on the rear arm on SP vs STD. and you need different limiter straps also... take it for whats its worth.....

·
Registered
289 Posts
Mount front skid rezzy to the rail, the mounts break off the front arm anyway. The 04 also had drop brackets in rear. IMO depending on your weight, you are better off keeping the STD torsion springs and getting a dual rate rear set up from someone like Hygear Suspension.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I added sno pro shocks to my 03 standard...Added the drop brackets (04's should already have), Drilled out the front mounting holes to the lower hole, changed the limiter straps, and now this eats up the front rail caps. I havent figured out why yet. I am going to pull the limiter straps up, or go back to the upper hole in the front mounting position, I dont have enough ski pressure.....so be careful...it will take some fine tuning.
P.s....I dont know what shock setups your are using, but mine took all new bushings, bolts etc, and they were new from a 03 440 sno pro.
I also used the standard rear torsion springs...and its still too stiff, even with no coupler blocks.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
My book is showing the 04 STD and SP has the same rear torsion springs, you can mount the reservoir in the original position if you weld a mount, then use 2-3(I used 4) clamps that will wrap around the entire swing arm then around the reservoir and you should have no problems.

EDIT: You may have to add SP bushings on the rear shock rods to spread them a part to accommodate the wider shock body.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
My book is showing the 04 STD and SP has the same rear torsion springs, you can mount the reservoir in the original position if you weld a mount, then use 2-3(I used 4) clamps that will wrap around the entire swing arm then around the reservoir and you should have no problems.
EDIT: You may have to add SP bushings on the rear shock rods to spread them a part to accommodate the wider shock body.[/b]

Don't forget to order the "Sno Pro" decal as this alone will strike fear into the hearts of drivers that do not drive Cats ...LOL

·
Registered
111 Posts
not 100 % sure but my SN has drop brackets on the running boards where rear spring mount to and pretty sure the regulars dont have them. Gain about inch of travel?

·
Registered
12,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, thanks for the drop bracket heads up. I think I'll give it a good shake down before she rides it and see how it is without them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts