Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We ride mainly trails and am really looking for reliability. I have had no issues with 800 SB 7,000 miles, but I have an opportunity to get a newer 2019 129" with 850. Is it worth the switch? Any ideas, concerns with 850?

·
Registered
114 Posts
We ride mainly trails and am really looking for reliability. I have had no issues with 800 SB 7,000 miles, but I have an opportunity to get a newer 2019 129" with 850. Is it worth the switch? Any ideas, concerns with 850?
There's better informed peoples than I but from what I understand, the issues on the 850 were the earlier releases... So I would make sure the VIN isn't one of those... But I'm a Catman so the Poo guys can best guide you

Sent from my SM-C9000 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
20 850 Assault
2,516 Posts
You'll get mixed reviews on the 19 850. All in all most have been just fine. One in my club popped at 4200 miles. All others have been great. Lots of guys on here love theirs. I have a 20 850 it's fantastic.

·
Premium Member
16,086 Posts
I have both sleds. My 2015 has the BMP stage I setup with pipe, Bully Dog GT tuner, and my special clutching and gearing. It has 4700 miles on it trouble free. Around 170 hp. Great sled and very fast. I ride mostly trails in Lower northern Michigan.

My 2019 i850 is stock except for 76 gram Cuttler weights in the clutch. It also runs very well. Now has around 1200 miles on it. A bit smoother and torquier than my 2015 was when stock.

They are very similar in performance now. Both have achieved up to 20-21 mpg in trail cruising.

At 7000 miles, you'll need to do a top end soon. I'd move up to the 850 if low miles and in excellent condition. You may be able to get the remaining 4 year warranty. It has many improvements over the 2015 800 for durability. Colder T-stat, better charging system, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the notes. Yes, new one low miles, 2 more years on warranty, well maintained. Same original owner as 15 SB. We ride trails in LP as well, so nothing crazy, just cruising and looking for smooth ride, although tough to beat 137 SB and lower op temp when snow is scarce. thanks again.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Depends on what you like or don't about your sled. 7k mi would have me ripping into it but that is sort of an excuse to get to in my book.

·
Premium Member
16,086 Posts
Thanks for the notes. Yes, new one low miles, 2 more years on warranty, well maintained. Same original owner as 15 SB. We ride trails in LP as well, so nothing crazy, just cruising and looking for smooth ride, although tough to beat 137 SB and lower op temp when snow is scarce. thanks again.
Other improvements to 850 include better motormounts, Better wiring. Good coolant temp sensor with integral wiring versus problematic one with separate wiring used on 2020. 2020 also has leaner fuel delivery and it creates low rpm issues in some sleds. 2019 also had same problems on certain sleds. Several reflashes with mixed results. My own never had any of those issues and no reflashes needed. You get a better 1215 drivebelt on the 850 also. Different clutch face angles. 27 deg on 800, 28 deg on 850.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
What will the cost be to go to a 19 indy 850? If its a good deal I would do it yeah the 19 850 reliability was up to chance. some fine and some blew up first ride. It should still have a warranty though so I wouldn't be worried. They will put a new motor in it. I would confirm that it has a 4 year warranty. If someone other then the person who snowchecked it bought it then it would only have gotten a 2 year. I would get the latest ECU updates done for it. The Indy rides a little different. There where some guys that wanted to go back to there switchback but most liked the indy. But overall Id say its time to upgrade if the deal is right

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds like the 850 is a solid choice, good price well maintained and low miles. I never had one issue with SB, love the ride and its durability. I did not get younger this year and want to try a new ride, I just want to avoid a problem. 2 more year warranty transfers and all flashes complete. It won't be long we'll all be on LP4 heading to Tally's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts