Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40,343 Posts
I've been doing automotive electrical repair for 20+ years. When it comes to lead acid and agm batteries:

12.6 = 100% state of charge (SOC)
12.5 = 75% SOC
12.4 = 50% SOC
12.2 = 25% SOC

Sled batteries are no different.
I was reading through my booklet on the tester i have. Your correct also. Says some battery manufactures state that 12.6 volts can be interrupted as fully charged.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I suggest a quick spark test while cranking with starter, not rope. If there isn't any spark, fix that first.
No spark at the plugs while turning it over with electric starter. It still seems to be turning over slow.

Starts right up with pull starter.

NYH1.

·
Vendor
10,095 Posts
No spark at the plugs while turning it over with electric starter. It still seems to be turning over slow.

Starts right up with pull starter.

NYH1.
you need to put the positive side of the multi tester on the positive terminal at the starter. and black to ground side of the battery. dc voltage and see what the voltage is once e-start is tried. this will take two people. my bet is the brushes or armature in the starter motor is toast? drawing to many amps which also pulls voltage down. it should not drop below 12 volts while starter is turning over.

·
Premium Member
16,089 Posts

·
Registered
40,343 Posts
I've seen cases where the battery voltage is so low that it barely turns over the motor or turns it so slowly you'll see no spark or an extremely weak one.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I wasn't able to put my Fluke meter on the pos. (+) side of the starter motor and the neg.(-) side of the battery while cranking with the electric starter. My son isn't home. So I'm on my own right now, maybe later.

I did however put my Fluke directly on the battery while cranking the electric starter and the voltage drops down into the mid 10 volt range.

NYH1.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Still haven't had time to mess with the electrical starter issue. Maybe tomorrow after I'm done plowing I'll have some time to.

We finally got to ride it today so that was good.

Trying to find my son an Edge chassis XC or Classic. Last season there were a ton of 500 and 600's for sale, 700 and 800's were few and far between. So far this season there are a ton of 700's, followed by 800's, a few 500's and hardly any 600's. Probably going to get him a 700 if I can't find a good 600 soon.

NYH1.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I think I'm going to need a new starter. Mine appears to be missing the return spring assembly and cover that go's over the end of the starter. The starter gear is staying engaged in the teeth on the clutch. It pops right out with the slightest pull on the recoil.

I think the gear got caught on the clutch teeth while trying to start it and it caused the other damage.

NYH1.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts