Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy seems to have run his F7 outta fuel, and now we cant get it to start again. He said it started boggin down, so he shut it off. Now, I run back home and get a spare gas can, and now We cant get it to start. I understand that there is a proceedure to starting it again, and I talked to Dana (F5snopro) about it in the past, but never was told the exact way to start it again. Well, now I need some help guys :(

Sucky part is that it just came back from all the updates at Cat dealer. (Uhht Oh! I hope that wasnt the problem :rolleyes: )

Thanks in advance guys. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by BlackSaber7@Feb 8 2003, 04:29 PM
My buddy seems to have run his F7 outta fuel, and now we cant get it to start again. He said it started boggin down, so he shut it off. Now, I run back home and get a spare gas can, and now We cant get it to start. I understand that there is a proceedure to starting it again, and I talked to Dana (F5snopro) about it in the past, but never was told the exact way to start it again. Well, now I need some help guys :(

Sucky part is that it just came back from all the updates at Cat dealer. (Uhht Oh! I hope that wasnt the problem :rolleyes: )

Thanks in advance guys. :D
On a warm engine you can remove the yellow wire from the water temp sensor to get it started, but put it back as soon as it starts or you will flood the motor. This fools the cpu into thinking the engine is cold and pumps more fuel. ..Or you can just wait until the engine IS cold and start pulling normally. Should start with a dozen or so pulls.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AWESOME rob, thanks. I will go yel over to him to start pulling it like a MADMAN :rolleyes: (He's probably good at that :rolleyes: ) HAHA...

Thanks I'll let ya know How we make out. Gotta get ready for ridin tomorrow AM. Thinkin about goin to Erroll, NH and riding to PITTS. You gonna be around at all? Maybe FINALLY meet ya :D

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
:mellow: Hope this didn't hurt his motor!

Refer to page 16 in the operators manual.

Quote:
CAUTION; On the EFI model, be sure an adequate amount of gasoline is in the gas tank. If you run out of gasoline, engine damage will occur.

The "WILL OCCUR" sounds kind of ominous.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

·
Registered
20,047 Posts
had the same problem with mine today. was messin around in my yard and it ran out with about a gallon in it. I filled it back up and it started up with 2 pulls.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I was juss wondering...why is said that if you run the F7 outta gas that it will cause engine problems? Becuae I've ran many sleds out of gas and as soon as I fill the tank..it only took a few pulls....to restart the machine...is it becuase its an EFI??? I'm juss cerious.. :D I wouldnt think it would cause any motor problems...but thats juss me..

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK rob, so it didnt go EXACTLY as PLANNED. We tried the yellow wire thing, and well, which one are you talking about ? The only one is on a brass fitting thing (?) and couldnt be disconnected, So we let it cool for about 1.5 hrs and came out pulling away. NOTHING. 35 pulls (well, a little of a hurt shoulder :rolleyes: ) but no GO.

I went riding without him sunday, and had a pretty good day. I get home last night and am pulling into the driveway, and he goes riding bye. H,mmmm....What gives.

I asked what he did, and he came out in the AM and pulled it like 3 times, and it fired to life. Ran fine all day, he did the local trails (Again :wacko: ) but didnt do anything. I dont get it. It sat for about 40 minutes while we got the gas, and then TOWED it home. Waited another hour, and NOTHING. Come out in the AM, and all is well.

This is one TEMPERMENTAL BITCH :huh: When they run.....WATCH OUT!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by BlackSaber7@Feb 10 2003, 01:10 PM
OK rob, so it didnt go EXACTLY as PLANNED. We tried the yellow wire thing, and well, which one are you talking about ? The only one is on a brass fitting thing (?) and couldnt be disconnected, So we let it cool for about 1.5 hrs and came out pulling away. NOTHING. 35 pulls (well, a little of a hurt shoulder :rolleyes: ) but no GO.

I went riding without him sunday, and had a pretty good day. I get home last night and am pulling into the driveway, and he goes riding bye. H,mmmm....What gives.

I asked what he did, and he came out in the AM and pulled it like 3 times, and it fired to life. Ran fine all day, he did the local trails (Again :wacko: ) but didnt do anything. I dont get it. It sat for about 40 minutes while we got the gas, and then TOWED it home. Waited another hour, and NOTHING. Come out in the AM, and all is well.

This is one TEMPERMENTAL BITCH :huh: When they run.....WATCH OUT!
I think it has to be real cold.. Like overnight cold, not just a few hours.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Originally posted by joejoe@Feb 8 2003, 08:04 PM
Mine runs out with a gallon of gas left in the tank. Anyone else having this problem? :blink:
The way the smart valves are designed you cannot get all the gas out of the tank. They sit on small legs up off the bottom. I always figure my gas range on 1.5 gallons less than the tank is supposed to hold. If you are leaving more than 1 to 1.5 gallons check to see that the valves are sitting properly on the bottom.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Similar situation has occurred to mine as well. What I have found is that if it doesn't start on the third or fourth pull one of two things are happening. One the smart valves are frozen, easy fix with coat hanger! Or two the engine is flooded. The later fix you need to "disconnect the fuel pump", pull the plugs and pull the engine over. Disconneting the fuel pump is important because the pump still pumps with the key and kill switch off causing it to flood further.

Once the engine is dry put plugs back in and she should fire. It has worked for me in three different cases.

·
Registered
534 Posts
labrecque Posted: Feb 13 2003, 11:37 PM

Similar situation has occurred to mine as well. What I have found is that if it doesn't start on the third or fourth pull one of two things are happening. One the smart valves are frozen, easy fix with coat hanger! Or two the engine is flooded. The later fix you need to "disconnect the fuel pump", pull the plugs and pull the engine over. Disconneting the fuel pump is important because the pump still pumps with the key and kill switch off causing it to flood further.

Once the engine is dry put plugs back in and she should fire. It has worked for me in three different cases.

---------------------------------

BTW: I've heard this option regarding flooding of EFI's from a CAT dealership owner, mechanics and others.

On an EFI machine, if the machine is flooded. Hold the throttle down all the way and pull on the pull cord to clear the flooding. If the engine isn't running on EFI and your throttle is open all the way, the fuel pump will know that it's not supposed to be pumping fuel through and the engine will clear itself of fuel as you turn the engine over.

Solution to flooding hold open the throttle on the F7 all the way and pull the cord. She'll eventually start up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts