Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 05 MXZ Renegage stalls when I put in reverse unless I bring the revs up, then it backfires. It only has about 60 miles on it. Is this normal or is their something I can do to fix it? Thanks

·
Registered
694 Posts
its under warranty still im guessing, so i would let the dealer have look. i thought i'd know what the problem was when i seen this topic but an '05 with 60 miles on it has me stumped. thats a common side effect of bad rings but i'm guessing thats not your problem. come to think of it, check and make sure you don't have a fouled plug because it sounds like that could be your problem as well. let us know what you find out..

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
YOu have to let your engine warm up, and then rev it a little before switching to reverse with the electronic reverse. It actually stops your motor and then adjust the timing so it spins backwards instead of using gears. SO unless warm it will stall when it slows to switch the timing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Originally posted by wildboer@Sep 16 2005, 11:51 PM
YOu have to let your engine warm up, and then rev it a little before switching to reverse with the electronic reverse. It actually stops your motor and then adjust the timing so it spins backwards instead of using gears. SO unless warm it will stall when it slows to switch the timing.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=878712
[/quote]
yes engine has to be warmed up, and im guessing since it only has 60 miles on it you havent had it out for a long time. do not keep starting it unless you have some place to ride. letting it idle and shutting it down numerous times will foul the plugs. if your not rideing

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 05 does the same thing, took to dealer and of course it went in reverse everytime, brought home ...BAMM stalls again, I have since raised the idle a hair we will see

Dave

·
Registered
55 Posts
Originally posted by snowwman38@Sep 16 2005, 10:33 PM
My 05 MXZ Renegage stalls when I put in reverse unless I bring the revs up, then it backfires. It only has about 60 miles on it. Is this normal or is their something I can do to fix it? Thanks
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=878545
[/quote]

It has been a couple of months since you posted. How is your reverse working now? If its still giving you trouble, get your battery checked. My new 05 Gade came with a dead battery. I could start it with a partially open throttle and it would run ok when I was cruising around but it would stall going into reverse and sometimes backfire. Fouled plugs too. New battery under warranty and its all good now.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Give it some quick throttle snaps to warm it up for like 20 seconds or whatever sounds good then put it in reverse, it should be fine.

Edit: Also try new plugs, old or fouled plugs even if there just slightly old will cause it to run bad in reverse.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well here is some info I found out today. My sled seized up yesterday(05 Early release gad)600 HO SDI. Brought it to the dealer today first question he asked me... Did go into reverse?? I said nope it never went into reverse even since it was new.. He said it was the rings and a crank bearing.Beware and get the compression checked before the warranty is up..

Dave

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
If i give mine some throttle right after it kicks into reverse it stall sometimes, let it go into reverse then wait a few seconds then give it gas. zach

Edit: oh just noticed that you said it was a fouled plug, that makes sense now. zach

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
MY 05 Gade 600sdi was doing same exact thing at 3400 miles took a compression test only 35 psi -- 135 in other droped it at dealer he called me in a couple of days put new rings as they were flaking, Ran it 3 days straight never stalled once going in Reverse. Also starts first pull.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts