Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine said I need stainless steel studs. I was wondering why? Do regular studs rust? I am looking at the Woody's megabites. Will they rust, am I better off with stainless?

·
Registered
290 Posts
regular steel will rust after a while but there is no problem using them....you don't have to run stainless. If you are studding a sno-pro Mega-bites are not available in stainless for that lug size.
Stainless will also add about 33% to the cost of the studs

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the standard F5. I noticed the big jump in price. What do you run AC F7? Any other advantage for the stainless besides rust?

·
Registered
290 Posts
you have a standard F5..........go with Woody's 5/16 1.075'S availible in stainless(#SDP6-1075 Traction Master's) or you can go with plain steel with either Mega-Bite's #MEG-1075 or Gold Digger's #GDP6-1075.
I like the Gold's myself

What advantages are there running stainless? .........they don't rust and some may argue that they are less susceptible to bending which is pretty much bull to a certain point.

I have a SP so I run Mega's 1.450....I would run stainless but they weren't out when I bought mine. I hate rusty studs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dan at the Outdoor shop recommended 1.175's for my F5. He said a lot better traction. I just have to decide stainless or not. Not sure which way to go.

·
Registered
290 Posts
get the stainless with a colored backer...it looks cool.

it's the colored backer that cost the real money

·
Registered
290 Posts
green aluminum squares Woody's

rounds are nice because you can't tell when they rotate but again ...cost more

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last question AC F7. Is 102 studs enough in my F5, or will I bend them or hurt the track?

·
Registered
290 Posts
That is a grey area.... this is what I'm doing.... 102 Woody's Pattern #135-TEMP and see what happens. If 102 is not enough than the Woody's pattern allows you to easily add to 153 without a problem.

or you can skip lugs and go with the standard 96 or 144.

read some posts on studs...the reports are starting to trickle in now and you will be able to get some feedback on what's working

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking the same thing. 102 studs and then going up from there if I need to. I have read some of the other posts but all are different.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Fast-Trac was the only one that had SS studs for the sno-pro track when I did mine in October. I think Stud boy has them now but I'm not positive.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Oh, and the bummer thing. They only come in packs of 144. I put in 102 and have 42 stud left. I guess thats okay if they break but if I want to go 153 which is the extension of the pattern, I will have 120 extra.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Snowman,

Any problems with bending or pulling with 102 on your track ?

Kevin

·
Registered
242 Posts
No problems yet but I've only gone up and down the road a few times. No holeshots or high speed passes. I'm still just trying to get some break in time. I have looked at the track and no stress of any kind yet.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Snowman,

You have an F5 or F7? I don't like the way the package them either. 96 or 144. I want the number I need, not more not less.

·
Registered
242 Posts
F7. I know that some Bullsh#t. I've got a half a box of studs, nuts and backers now to go with the other three boxes in the garage. It seems every sled I buy has a different size track. Hey maybe thats a new business oppurtunity. Selling single studs.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Snoman, do you have 6 Woodys Double Backers ?
I might need 6 more if I go with the 102 pattern.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Originally posted by the snowman@Dec 11 2002, 10:11 AM
F7. I know that some Bullsh#t. I've got a half a box of studs, nuts and backers now to go with the other three boxes in the garage. It seems every sled I buy has a different size track. Hey maybe thats a new business oppurtunity. Selling single studs.
Don't you guy's have any snowmobile accessory or mechanical shops in your area? There are 3 different ones around here that are glad to sell single studs.Seems like anyplace that installs studs would be happy to get rid of some singles.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts