Hardcore Sledder banner

St-Zenon photo ride-report January 6, 2023

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Grassbound 292 
#1 ·
Under a cloudy sky with a little snow/-2C we made this ride yesterday January 6, 2023 in St-Zenon area through the Mastigouche Wildlife Reserve starting from St-Gabriel de Brandon

carte1_pPFs3fDmm2cm2y5YAdeTkr.jpg

As a drop point we chose the parking lot of the Multifunctional Center 111 Chemin du mont Lanaudière (it's the road just past the Highschool) which is an official parking lot for trailers and the trail pass just aside. We arrived a little late and parked on the roadside in front of it.

DJI_0169_nDZbNZoa7crVeXbPswjX4L.JPG

Despite the last thaw there is still a lot of snow, the conditions are good here in the field in St-Damien.

DJI_0173.JPG

Even the big hill in climbing on the mountain was nice with barely a couple browning snow spots , otherwise very good. Given the traffic there were a few bumps but it ride very well.

DJI_0182.JPG

We passed the Renard Bleu outfitter

DJI_0183.JPG

The road is plowed farther this year but has been widened and our trail is next to it. We just have to cross it a couple of times as the trail change of side otherwise it's fine.

DJI_0186.JPG

DJI_0184.JPG

the snow cover is very good

DJI_0189.JPG

DJI_0194.JPG

From the #23 we then took trail #350 east.

DJI_0195.JPG

After this thaw I was expecting to ride on very hard trails but no there is a good layer of loose snow on top , thick enough that the skis were not even bite the trail hard base most of the time. Very good conditions

DJI_0196.JPG

DJI_0202.JPG

Passed the junction for the #23 towards the Cabanon we continued on the #350 towards Koubec with even better trail conditions

DJI_0201.JPG

DJI_0205.JPG

continue below...

See less See more
#2 ·
We stopped for lunch at the Relais Koubec (Outfitter Mastigouche)

DJI_0206.JPG

DJI_0207.JPG

It's been a while since we stopped eating there. It was very good and quick and their huge double-sided fireplace in the center of the dining room always impresses me!

DJI_0215.JPG

After the lunch break we continued in the Mastigouche reserve. I did a round trip stretch on #23 eastbound. We passed the junction for the trail to Gaston (#350 towards Lac Blanc)

DJI_0217.JPG

Before turning around and continuing on #23 westbound

DJI_0242.JPG

DJI_0229.JPG

The section of #23 which comes to reconnect on the #345 (towards the Taureau dam) is less used and as usual it did not disappoint us with its good condition and beautiful fast sections.

DJI_0248.JPG

DJI_0233.JPG

DJI_0253.JPG

There had been more traffic on the #345 towards the Cabanon. The snow cover remains good even if there are a few spots of more brownish snow in the few km that leave the forest road and which had been reworked with a bulldozer just before the season.

DJI_0266.JPG

DJI_0269.JPG

We stopped to fuel up at Auberge Le Cabanon

DJI_0276.JPG

DJI_0277.JPG

And we went back down to our starting point via #23 trail

DJI_0284.JPG

Real Masse outfitter, which had major problems with their plumbing and water distribution system during an extended power outage (christmas storm) is not open and the trail goes straight, trail not groomed yet

DSC05637.JPG

the #23 south of #350 was weared from traffic and was bumpy on the way back south, especially in the section maintained by St-Charles club

DSC05640.JPG

The last section groomed by St-Gabriel club was better but the traffic had still done its job. With the announced cold and grooming, it will come back good because the snow cover is good.

DSC05643.JPG

To summarize, the storm of December 23 had left impressive amounts of snow, the following thaw packed it down to give us a solid base for the trails and the last snow put some cream on the cake which gives very good conditions. There are still a couples of not frozen small ditches and you can still see the remains of fallen /damaged trees but the ride we did was very nice overall.

Trail opening and grooming is still underway, I know that from St-Zenon or Mattawin it is possible to go to Pourvoirie Repos. Kanawata wrote their trails was open (4January) and Alliance du nord club that groom norther on the #83 state that they finished opening trails and are at grooming them. Many places in Parent/clova were starting their operations this weekend. Latuque snowmobile club also state their trails opened.

With the cold announced I expect that the open trail network will continue to expand and connect rapidly in the coming days

Happy 2023 season!

Alain

#3 ·
Excellent report. I should have figured you would get out and give us a proper report. Looks great for this year so far. We lost most of our white gold unfortunately. So I’ll be trailering somewhere this week. Thanks so much for the info and good photos. Have a good safe season.

#7 · (Edited)
Thank you Boom2! We need to be patient this season but here it really seem to be started for the season I just hope for a good crispy cold wave. Today the snowmobile club staked the reservoir in st-Michel des saints and told they had 15" of ice which have surprised me because we had not many very cold days, lets get january/february weather!

I'm envious. Nothing but a dusting on the ground here just 2K south of the border in Vermont. We had the most snow this season in November!
The only time I've ever been to St. Gabriel de Brandon was for a motocross race in 1972! Fantastic track. Is it still there?
Yes I saw it, It was me that was jealous 4 weeks ago seeing your conditions! Negative for the motocross track in St-Gabriel, maybe you heard about this one that is not there neither but was a very special event there

Does Denis still run the cabanon?
Denis and his wife just sold the entire place this summer, I was told they were supposed to be there this winter but they are finally not. After all those year I think they more than deserved to have a nice retreat doing what they want at the pace they want. Up to date I heard just good things from the new owner on how it goes there, look promising

#4 ·
I'm envious. Nothing but a dusting on the ground here just 2K south of the border in Vermont. We had the most snow this season in November!
The only time I've ever been to St. Gabriel de Brandon was for a motocross race in 1972! Fantastic track. Is it still there?

#11 ·
There is a bunch of spots where to stay, Yes Cabanon is a great one with their safe parking lot. Depending if you plan to saddle or to ride from the door you can take a look here: Accommodation

I would say that staying in St-Zenon/St-MIchel Des Saint area open up the riding options for day ride, you can go in all directions for differents great options

#13 ·
I stayed at Real Masse years ago. The big mustache as we call it still to this day. Stayed in one of the cabins right by the lodge. Great place. Very accomadating to us. I wish I knew more about food back then like I do now! Just didn’t know what we were ordering. Asked the bartender for rum and coke, he brought a glass of coke and a juice glass of rum. I just smiled and asked him for a glass of ice. I got about 3 drinks out of that combo. We kept ordering them from him every night at dinner😝. Brought my photo album to work today showing it to a coworker. Had the Real pics in there. 👍

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.