Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks. I've had my eyes on sidewinders since they came out... have been very close to pulling the trigger on some used ones here and there. Always afraid of the weight and handling in the twisties so I keep buying two strokes.

Im really focusing a lot more of my riding up north these days id say 75% of my miles are NEK or canada. Im going to take a strong look at snowchecking a new SRX.

I've also done a lot of research trying to find used, but thats slim to none!

Anyways my question is, did they make the SRX flatout to be fast, or does the lower center of gravity and fancy shocks make it also handle better than a normal sidewiner?

To me I would think the lowered center and dual rate springs would also make it hand flatter?

I am not buying a sidewinder to lake racing, and Ill never go off trail with it, I simply want the best trail performance weapon version of a winder than can be bought.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have not ridden an SRX but have ridden the 2020 Thundercat. VERY flat. The new front end seems flatter yet more "plush" at the same time. Very hard to lift a ski it seems. They need a bigger track though. The 1 inch stocker is not up to the task of putting the power to the snow on trails.
Defiantly flatter handling than my 2017 Sidewinder RTX

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for the input! I see the thundercat comes with 1.25 track where the srx 1"... honestly its the only thing I dont like about the srx is the 1" track seems crazy to me. I understand there reasoning sure, but for all out trail use id think youd want at least 1.25, geez I havent had a 1" track in 10 years or more!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Do some research on quality issues. Friend had one and sold it early in season. He had many issues and did not trust the sled. He did say it handled well and had power, but was heavy and wore him out.

Reactions: dskofich

·
Registered
842 Posts
The 2021 t cat is coming with a 1.25 but don’t know yet what the Srx is coming with, I drove my buddies 19 t cat allot on trails and it handles awesome like it’s on rails, is it heavier than my polaris yes but I don’t think it’s bad the smoothness of the motor and acceleration is awesome, I think it’s a great trail sled I have my eye on one next year also.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
842 Posts
Also this past weekend I seen a blue SRX and a black one on the trail I think they are the sharpest looking sled out there.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Next door neighbour switched from regular Sidwinder to SRX this year. Now he is small in stature only 5.6 and weighs maybe 150. He loves the SRX much better for our type of trails here in Quebec. He likes the way he can break the track loose in corners better than with the longer lug track. It is also more stable almost can't get a ski up in a corner and before he quite often had a ski in the air. So it's flattter more stable and more flicable with the lower suspension and 1 inch track. Don't know about speed he is strictly a high speed trail rider and has never complained about traction although it is studded heavily down the middle. Dealer suggested only studding outside if he wanted more stick in the curves. He's happy and loves the look.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Do some research on quality issues. Friend had one and sold it early in season. He had many issues and did not trust the sled. He did say it handled well and had power, but was heavy and wore him out.
If it was heavy steering then the proper adjustments where not performed. Mine steers VERY light.
I feel the only place these sleds feel "heavy" is in very tight twisty trails. Other than that, unless you a very small in stature, in REALLY poor shape or maybe a smaller female, the heavy argument dosent fly for me if you know anything about suspension adjustment.
Plus it all worth it once you pull the trigger, nothing comes close....

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to throw this in a spiral, maybe I should start a new thread but Id be curious to hear the real life differences in the SRX vs a new Tcat. Only reason I ask is I see AC is offering a 2021 tcat snowcheck around $14 grand? Seems its identical to the SRX other than the color and badge? I must be missing something.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yamaha offers a longer factory warranty. 1 year vs 4.
Not sure the depth of the 2021 SRX track, we will know early next month. 2021 T-Cat goes back to the 1.25
Aside from clutches and gearing, the sleds are identical.
The price of the T-Cat is really intriguing. @$2500 cheaper than an SRX? That is a lot of sled for that money.
The SRX is the best looking sled on snow though in my eyes.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree totally RJA, the tcat doesnt scream to me like the srx does. i dont know what it is but that SRX just really has me. But $2500 is a good chunk of money for a full tune, studs, etc. Also I do not want a 1" track.

So you say the clutching and gearing is different... if you planned to put a clutch kit in it anyways... would that make them nearly identical?

Anyone know what the snowcheck price was on a 2020 srx?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Clutching is different the actual clutch. Cat has Team clutching Yami use their Yamaha clutch. Gearing the Thundercat is geared lower so theoretically it's a tad slower top end but pulls harder and is very nice on trails with twists and turns. In 2020 Thundercat has a 2 ply track and Yamaha is a 1 ply both 1 inch lug. As far as appearance both have lovers and haters. The difference in price allows for an aftermarket wrap and other goodies for the Cat . I think you would like either sled. As far as the 1 inch lug I have a 1 inch by 14 on my 11 Z1 and I like it. It's seems more trail friendly than the 1.25 x 15 it came with. I'm strictly a high speed Quebec trail rider so for my needs it's perfect.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The 2020 front end and skid change is worth looking for. The do handle better and have lighter steering when set up right. The cat has better ski's but think Yamaha clutches are better. But not so sure of that with all the roller problems I hear on yamaha secondary

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again for all the info everyone. Its appreciated when spending 15g to ride for two months

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
The T-Cat has better skis, lower gearing, and arguably better clutching.

Belts are cheaper for the SRX.

Handling is subjective I guess. These sleds can be made to handle really nice with a few small adjustments. The Cat front end is still the best in the business IMO.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The shocks are identical on the electronic shocks. The SRX was only available this way. It was an option for the CAT. not sure if each company spec'ed their own valving.....
The parts breakdown does give the valving inside these shocks as they did in years past. They are expensive though if bought individually.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Honestly, I'm not sure how happy you'll be coming off the most playful sled on snow. These turbos aren't playful. They are stuck to the trail like glue. They are fast, with the potential to be much faster for very little money. I like mine, but for 75% of Vermont riding, your current sled reigns supreme. NEK and Quebec, I'll take the turbo.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I loaded my t cat 1” track with 1.450 triggers, hooks up very well on a hard pack trail, nothing wrong with the 1” track. And with the 24-50 gears it’s hard to beat, just ask my buddy with the winder 1.25 track.:stirthepot:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts