Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife ride an 2005 RS Rage, nice sled except that when it's warm it squeals like a tea kettle. It either stops when I ride it or I just can't hear it, but no matter because when it sits still and the engine is at idle the squeal is back. It stops for about 30 sec. when the bake is released or when I rock it a bit. The noise is driving me nuts! Anyone have any idea as to why it does this? BTW the clutch rattle is not normal according to the factory they have a fix that you dealer should install free of charge. My wife sled does not rattle it just squeals. HELP!!!

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
too tight of belt deflection

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
You got me beat there! Mine squeeks and rattles! Actually I just had the clutch re-done. The problem you have is probably the sheaves on the secondary clutch are too tight causing the belt to be too tight and dragging on the primary clutch shaft when the engine is idling. Look and see how far your belt is sticking above the rear clutch sheaves. I don't remember the exact spec but somewher around 1/16 inch seems right. This is adjusted by shims in the secondary clutch. I haven't done mine yet so I can't tell you the exact procedure but a service manual can.
I have to do mine when I get the sleds ready for the season in a month. Polaris is easy just loosten the bolts and turn the adjuster on the clutch hub.

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
yam last i knew has small washers that go underneath (3) 8mm bolts on the back side of the secondary clutch, each washer i believe is approximately .75mm thick(.030"), you need to remove 1 from each bolt and restart then let warm up to see if it continues, if so(more than likely not as bad though)remove 1 more from each bolt,,this allows the secondary sheaves(halves) to spread open a little at a time allowing the belt to set a little shallower and not drag so much on primary clutch post(which is creating the squealing you're hearing now)

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
Originally posted by snowwman38@Sep 16 2005, 10:49 PM
Yep three  bolts but only 1 washer under each .75mm looks about right. So I need to pull the washerers off to change the deflection?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=878578
[/quote]
yes, removal should let the sheaves "max out" on spread and remove squeal

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All right guys/girls this is relly starting bug me. Since I last posted I've checked the belt deflection, the clutch alingment (both where whith-in specs) and changed the belt. Still squeals. I have checked the service bullitons, another dead end. Anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same problem-rattles a lot-so I have kit coming from dealer to fix that-The sqeal is exactly like mine-warm and idleing and it sound like a tee kettle-the dealer said it's not hurting anything but from what they say the only thing to do is to take the washers out-it should fix it-They also said when changing the belt you may end up having to put the washers back in-not much help but I am going to try it next weekend-if it works I will let you know-Maybe it works sometimes-My husband just tells me to ignore it and ride the dang thing!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same problem-rattles a lot-so I have kit coming from dealer to fix that-The sqeal is exactly like mine-warm and idleing and it sound like a tee kettle-the dealer said it's not hurting anything but from what they say the only thing to do is to take the washers out-it should fix it-They also said when changing the belt you may end up having to put the washers back in-not much help but I am going to try it next weekend-if it works I will let you know-Maybe it works sometimes-My husband just tells me to ignore it and ride the dang thing!!!!sorry for the duplicate-don't know what happened

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.